Thread: AFA regraded UKG question

AFA regraded UKG question

Hey Everyone,

There are some great threads here about UKG vs the AFA when it comes to grading.

The question I have to fellow collectors is that when you sent your UKG piece to the AFA for regrading do you remove it from the case before sending it?

I think it would be too easy for the AFA to simply look at the UKG current score and say "we have higher standards" and give it a slightly lower score when regrading. Mind you, I am not accusing the AFA of such a practice but I think the only fair comparison would be for both companies to grade an ungraded piece to begin with.

I own both UKG and AFA pieces in my collection and love them all. I just find it interesting that most regraded pieces mentioned are only off by 5% and never by more than 10% (at the extreme).

Just a thought,
    Sean
    Loved watching Empire with my twin daughters at the age of 3...funny how much they understand the movie when one yells "No no no that not him daddy!"

I have sent my pieces still in the UKG case. I thought the same thing you did and was really contemplating breaking the case and sending the items that way. When I did send my UKG pieces they all came back with lower grades from AFA. Maybe next time I'll try the other way and report back.

I would very much be interested in those results!
    Loved watching Empire with my twin daughters at the age of 3...funny how much they understand the movie when one yells "No no no that not him daddy!"

Hi Sean,

A carded figure can be packaged more securely with better bubble support when shipped without a sealed acrylic case, so that's one perfectly good reason to remove it from the UKG case.

Mike
    Last edited by michael_mensinger; 07-14-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Buying vintage prototypes, snowtrooper rarities, & Kenner employee memorabilia

Quote Originally Posted by michael_mensinger View Post
    Hi Sean,

A carded figure can be packaged more securely with better bubble support when shipped without a sealed acrylic case, so that's one perfectly good reason to remove it from the UKG case.

Mike
    That's good to know Mike! I've never shipped a moc figure anywhere, but that advice will come in handy if I ever come across a UKG I want AFA'd.