Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: Where have all the veterans gone??

•    

Where have all the veterans gone??

With CE2 fast approaching I wonder will sightings of the proper RS vets that no longer actively contribute on the forum be as plentiful as they were at CE1.

I realise that people move in and out of the hobby,take a break or move on completely,but I remember putting names to faces at CE1 that maybe absent at Essen in a fortnight.

A lot of collectors of course may be inactive here on RS,but continue off forum in a social capacity with other old-timers,however I miss some of the names and comments that used to make the forums interesting such as Joe and JohnA flaming noobs or trolls,Baldylox getting teased for being cheap and joshing of John Wooten for terribly slow shipping(that would get one lambasted nowadays!!!)

As a 10 year vet myself(how did that happen????) I understand new blood is vital to sustain the hobby,but is my destiny to actively contribute,field questions and then drop off the map???And then pass it over to the new guys to perpetuate the cycle??

that seems to be the pattern???...

Thoughts??

Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

I'm definitely one of the new members here and probably have no business posting in this topic but I'd like to say I've been collecting since around 1995 or 96. Unfortunately I had to sell my collection several years ago and just started back up last year. Joining the site was the best way that I could connect with fellow collectors and many of the members here, new and old have been extremely helpful and a pleasure to chat with. Its a shame some of the older members no longer post but I did get the chance to meet one of the long time members who no longer posts and he has been the person I have dealt the most with and has helped me tremendously with acquiring much of my current carded collection and for that I'm grateful. I don't think you have to "drop off the map" if you don't want to. Anyway I will say to all members here I'm appreciative of the info and advice and particularly you veterans of the site thanks for bearing with the new users such as myself.

Jon
    Last edited by roulettemonster; 07-10-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Darren, the veterans are all on the secret sub forum here, ive heard all about it but im only a new comer, i cant get in.
    Apparently you need a secret password to get in there, they buy,sell and trade with each other, and very rarely venture out onto the main forum, youd have to ask Michael Mensinger how to get in there, ive heard he is the gatekeeper to the veterans lounge ....

He could deny all knowledge, but dont buy into that.

cheers
    Last edited by AussieFortuna; 07-10-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Blitzkriegtrench and M4K3R1 like this.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Grand Moff

Quote Originally Posted by AussieFortuna View Post
    Darren, the veterans are all on the secret sub forum here, ive heard all about it but im only a new comer, i cant get in.
    Apparently you need a secret password to get in there, they buy,sell and trade with each other, and very rarely venture out onto the main forum, youd have to ask Michael Mensinger how to get in there, ive heard he is the gatekeeper to the veterans lounge ....

He could deny all knowledge, but dont buy into that.

cheers
    Do you realy think 'they' need to have a seperate part of the forum for that or is it just friends contacting friends via several means (internet, phone, in person etc)?
    AussieFortuna likes this.

AJ - I'm confident he's joking

We can discuss it in the inner circle forum.................muwahwahwahwahwhaaaa
    SHEESH!!!!i am not raping anyones childhood!!!! - Darren
    P.S. I'm glad you didn't get your toy - Baytrooper
    wow WOW! he brings more cowbell to every forum!! - Ross_C
    Feedback http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBerizing View Post
    AJ - I'm confident he's joking

We can discuss it in the inner circle forum.................muwahwahwahwahwhaaaa
    John, ive heard your in this 'inner circle' and your considered an underboss

AJ, john is just trying to deflect the truth here, he knows im onto him, Michael will get in here and try to brush it off, but dont worry, i know theres something going on.

When the old timers mysteriously leave, it means they have been initiated into the 'inner circle'.
    Theres all sorts of rumours about the initiation process from videoing yourself burning hard copies, first shots, proofs etc and posting it us for the other members to see, some even say they rip up 12 backs for ***** and giggles in there, theres one guy in there with a garage full of boxes of Yak Face's that he just gives away to fellow inner circles.

What ever's going on all i know is that its hardcore stuff.

My motivation for living is to get into this inner circle, another 15 years and who knows?
    Last edited by AussieFortuna; 07-10-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Leej07 likes this.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Quote Originally Posted by _Darren_ View Post
    With CE2 fast approaching I wonder will sightings of the proper RS vets that no longer actively contribute on the forum be as plentiful as they were at CE1.

I realise that people move in and out of the hobby,take a break or move on completely,but I remember putting names to faces at CE1 that maybe absent at Essen in a fortnight.

A lot of collectors of course may be inactive here on RS,but continue off forum in a social capacity with other old-timers,however I miss some of the names and comments that used to make the forums interesting such as Joe and JohnA flaming noobs or trolls,Baldylox getting teased for being cheap and joshing of John Wooten for terribly slow shipping(that would get one lambasted nowadays!!!)

As a 10 year vet myself(how did that happen????) I understand new blood is vital to sustain the hobby,but is my destiny to actively contribute,field questions and then drop off the map???And then pass it over to the new guys to perpetuate the cycle??

that seems to be the pattern???...

Thoughts??

Darren
    Darren in few words... Yes... That seems to be the cycle for so many.
    Last edited by Grant; 07-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieFortuna View Post
    theres one guy in there with a garage full of boxes of Yak Face's that he just gives away to fellow inner circles.

Actually, it is cases of Vlix.

Might as well link the song too while we are talking the Inner Circle.

Personally, I think a few events that happened in the last year or so, the huge influx of new membership that has brought back a lot of similar old topics, and some of the new attitudes of the now majority have driven quite a few away. Is that bad or is it good? I'm not the one to say, but it has really changed the place where I think most of the old timers once considered home. So what do you do? You find a new home or you stay in contact with the friends using other means. We have so many ways to communicate that we're not limited to just a single forum anymore or even multiple forums. Just as the move was made from the newsgroups, to the forums, now other ways are becoming a bit more popular with the advent of social media. From what I've seen, you'll find a few of them at CEII in Essen.
    Ian_C likes this.
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_K View Post
    Actually, it is cases of Vlix.

Might as well link the song too while we are talking the Inner Circle.

Personally, I think a few events that happened in the last year or so, the huge influx of new membership that has brought back a lot of similar old topics, and some of the new attitudes of the now majority have driven quite a few away. Is that bad or is it good? I'm not the one to say, but it has really changed the place where I think most of the old timers once considered home. So what do you do? You find a new home or you stay in contact with the friends using other means. We have so many ways to communicate that we're not limited to just a single forum anymore or even multiple forums. Just as the move was made from the newsgroups, to the forums, now other ways are becoming a bit more popular with the advent of social media. From what I've seen, you'll find a few of them at CEII in Essen.
    Youve made some good points here Shawn, your point on so many different ways to communicate is probably pretty spot on.
    And as people grow and change they find new things in life, families, etc, things rarely stay the same, lifes all about change for most.

High Admiral

I still lurk here, though I don't post as much. Mostly because there is honestly only a few things left out there that I'm still looking for in my SW toy collection, so I've really moved my energies on to another collecting realm that I'm in. I frequent and post to those forums much more than here. I imagine it's the same for some other long-timers.

Cj
    WTB: Palitoy ESB Han Hoth, PBP Han Hoth (ESB & ROTJ)
    WTS: Rocket Firing Fett Missile. L and J slot available

Vintage Toy Archive: http://www.12back.com

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast