Thread: questions on old topps wax boxes...

questions on old topps wax boxes...

I have some old topps wax boxes from the 70's (maybe early 80's.) Basically, just from series 1 thru 5 of ANH. I've had some (maybe all) of these wax boxes since the 90s. Now, here's the thing: I was buying many of these before ebay existed, so I'd buy them by calling up various dealers (mostly, those that advertised in "non-sport authority" I think it was called.) I started by buying loose packs - but I would open those packs because I was trying to put together a truly mint set. Some of those packs turned out to be phonies (they would have charlie's angels cards in them instead, or cards that were obviously heavily "used"). This got me a bit paranoid. So, when I started buying wax boxes, I would always carefully open one or two packs to make sure I wasn't getting conned. So, my questions are: a) does this ruin the value of the wax boxes? and b) can these wax boxes be authenticated and cased for selling, similar to what afa or cgc does?

As a fellow wax pack and box collector, I would LOVE to have any of the ANH boxes in my collection. I love the artwork on them. As of now I only have a pack from each. I've never heard of people swapping out the cards, that makes me nervous about mine now.

Yes, you can get full boxes graded:

The Leader in Card and Pack Grading and Education — GAI | Global Authority, Inc.

As to opening a pack, I think it would affect the value as it's not a completely sealed box but you could always replace the missing packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Cow View Post
    As to opening a pack, I think it would affect the value as it's not a completely sealed box but you could always replace the missing packs.
    True, but I would worry that replacing the opened packs might also be considered to be "bad". And, at this point, I'm just not going to bother trying to track down more packs. They could always be phonies too, after all. I asked AFA if they grade wax boxes, and they said they did, so I might just go with them. I knew about GAI, but I thought they cased them in these giant cases with really large "flanges" and I didn't want that. Your link shows them in ordinary acrylic boxes, so maybe that's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    True, but I would worry that replacing the opened packs might also be considered to be "bad". And, at this point, I'm just not going to bother trying to track down more packs. They could always be phonies too, after all. I asked AFA if they grade wax boxes, and they said they did, so I might just go with them. I knew about GAI, but I thought they cased them in these giant cases with really large "flanges" and I didn't want that. Your link shows them in ordinary acrylic boxes, so maybe that's the way to go.
    Technically, old wax boxes were never sealed to begin with so as long as it has 36 packs, it's a full box.

I was surprised to see that acrylic box as well. They used to seal the boxes like the packs and I always thought it was silly. I've thought about grading some of my loose packs but the boxes I plan on setting up for display (with the lip flap up) when I finally get the chance.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Just remember: Anybody will grade anything for a dollar.
    Interested in all US carded POTF2 figures (mostly variants, red/green-carded holograms right now)