Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shadows of the Empire Book

Lieutenant Commander

Shadows of the Empire Book

I began reading reading Star Wars books after my sickness of collecting began last year. I'm currently reading Shadows of the Empire and I want to know if anyone else feels the same way about the book as I do. I''m not finished yet, but here's what I think so far.
    The story line is good, it's mostly a filler though with nothing really outstanding to grab the readers attention and bring them into the Star Wars Universe if they're not familiar with it. But, I have an issue with Steve Perry's infactuation with Xizor's "manliness" if you know what I mean. And throughout the novel, the bad guy's main goal is to get his freak on with Leia. It really takes away from the story line for me. I mean, if the aurthor mentioned it once to give some background to the guy's character, then okay, but every chapter? And he stops just short of describing Xizor in his see through garment. Wow. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when I read a Sci-Fi, I expect Sci-FI, not a Harlequin. I've read about seven novels so far and this one is the worst I've had yet.

•    
    Try the EU section.

I got suckered into SOTE in 1996, and have no desire to return to it. Or any other crappy books based on the films.

Ian
    DarthCitrix likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Try the EU section.

I got suckered into SOTE in 1996, and have no desire to return to it. Or any other crappy books based on the films.

Ian
    Ignorance may be bliss but it is still ignorance. There is some great stuff to be found in the EU. There is plenty of crap also but to make a blanket assessment of it all as you have is so closed minded. OP would be better off listening to those here that have informed opinions on the topic.
    Last edited by Darth_Engelhast; 06-28-2013 at 08:08 PM.

re: "sickness of collecting". does that mean you're sick of collecting? or does that mean you think it's contagious and now you're infected with the bug?
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

If he is "infected with the bug", I think it is contagious.. SOTE was the first novel to be released that was set between Ep5 and 6, and was given more backing than any other novel, it had a game and soundtrack, posters, action figures, trading cards and comic books (to name a few) released as tied merchandise to it. I believe it was a set up given 'canon' consideration from the powers that be to see what they could pull from a non-movie tie-in. I believe it went ok, but not great for them.. and that was because, imo, the novel wasn't great. I agree that it did become annoying reading about the, how did you say "freak on" parts, but I think that was directed at giving readers a sense of this particular aliens charisma used as power. I also think that SOTE was aimed at attracting the female market to make the pull more across the board. Remember, when authors want to build up a character, they focus on certain points, for example: Thrawn is a masterful tactician, we know that because it is referred to every chapter of his book, in this case, Xizor is a prince, and is supposed to be handsome and powerful, so the writer is obviously going to work around those points. I think Perry succeded in giving us a character in Xizor, that we remember somewhat easier than other characters throughout the EU.. Leia has so many men in the Universe wanting to court her.. who was the guy from Dathomir (Courtship of..?).. but, i could never get around the chewbacca disguise action figure, he looked like a pirate and should have had a cutlass and parrot for accessories..lol. Keep reading... it gets better around page 338.
    Last edited by DarthDad; 06-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
    But, I have an issue with Steve Perry's infactuation with Xizor's "manliness" if you know what I mean. And throughout the novel, the bad guy's main goal is to get his freak on with Leia. It really takes away from the story line for me. I mean, if the aurthor mentioned it once to give some background to the guy's character, then okay, but every chapter? And he stops just short of describing Xizor in his see through garment. Wow. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when I read a Sci-Fi, I expect Sci-FI, not a Harlequin. I've read about seven novels so far and this one is the worst I've had yet.
    I read SOTE in one sitting back in 1996 and it was okay. I think your description of it being filler is accurate. When the most exciting development of your story is how the heroes got their clothing, then you might have a problem; but that could have just been the nature of telling a story that took place within such a constricted time frame. I also agree that the scenes of Xizor trying to seduce Leia felt very out of place in a Star Wars story. It's like the writer was trying too hard to make the readers like Xizor and I just never bought him as a convincing villain and he was definitely not on the same level as Vader or Palpatine. I think the fact that his appearance has been mostly forgotten since 1996 will attest to that.

Xizor reminds me of one of those villains who appear in one issue of a comic book series; but they never capture the imagination of the readers, so that villain never reappears in any memorable way. In that sense, Xizor is to Star Wars what the Space Phantom is to the Avengers, the Miracleman is to the Fantastic Four, or the Maha Yogi is to the X-Men.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Banned

Xizor was never supposed to be on the same level as Vader and Palplatine. Xizor contribution and importance to Star Wars lies more in his connection to criminal organization Black Sun which has reappeared in the EU many times and even popped up in The Clone Wars series. Xizor is NO Maha Yogi and he served his purpose for the story he was in. Bringing him back after that would be kinda pointless and would only serve to make the Star Wars universe feel smaller.
    Last edited by Darth_Engelhast; 06-28-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Lieutenant Commander

Cobalt60- My sickness is I continue to find things that I believe I must have. Even as much as I thought the book was no where near as good as reviews I found on Google, I will get the soundtrack, etc. I already bought all the figures/vehicles associated with it.
    DarthDad - I finished the book just a few moments ago, and it gets much better at the end. But still, I stand by what I said about the ****** implications in the book, not to mention the 436 times he reffered to the "refresher" or "fresher". Sure, everyone uses the potty, but I don't want to hear about it. It's just things that make think "why would you even say that?" MAkes me feel like the guy would creep me out in person.
    Ian I have to agree Darth_Englehast, there's a lot of good material in EU. But, with 350 novels and growing, there's bound to be some Bantha fodder, but this one took me by surprise from all I read about it and the hype it recieved.

Lieutenant Commander

I was wondering how appropriate that word would be to use. Good to know there are filters on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Engelhast View Post
    Xizor was never supposed to be on the same level as Vader and Palplatine. Xizor contribution and importance to Star Wars lies more in his connection to criminal organization Black Sun which has reappeared in the EU many times and even popped up in The Clone Wars series. Xizor is NO Maha Yogi and he served his purpose for the story he was in. Bringing him back after that would be kinda pointless and would only serve to make the Star Wars universe feel smaller.
    Well, the book was definitely trying to sell Xizor as Vader's greatest competition for the status of the Emperor's "right hand man". I seem to recall a scene where Xizor is standing just out of holoprojector range while the Emperor contacts Vader when he's in the asteroid field looking for the Falcon. It might have happened at a different time, but I seem to recall it taking place during the events in ESB. At the time Xizor was examining Vader to find any signs of weakness that he could use to usurp his power. That kind of shoehorning of Xizor into the events of the OT has always bothered me.

There were a couple of things that I did enjoy in the book. C-3PO and R2-D2 being forced to fly the Millenium Falcon was one. Plus, the three way battle at the end with the Imperial, Rebel and Black Sun fighters was interesting too. Especially when, at moments in the battle, you had X-Wings and TIE Fighters fighting a common enemy.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast