Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By calevans83

Thread: Vader Tie Fighter: Die Cast Small Wing MOC-numbers, explanation, answers?

Admiral

•    

Vader Tie Fighter: Die Cast Small Wing MOC-numbers, explanation, answers?

I searched the forum history and came up with a couple of responses from Scott Bradley about these in regard to the fact that the Canadian Vader Tie uses a similar card as the small wing tie MOC. I think the conventional wisdom on these is that they are all samples/prototypes that were shelved for the larger wing model, but does anyone have info about what prompted the change? I would also be interested in seeing if anyone has estimates on the number of loose and MOC examples out there-maybe this can be a roll call, so I'll go first: I have one MOC

It seems as if every sale thread or auction I have seen for these over the years (3 or 4 maybe?) states "I got this from a Kenner ex-employee" and the small wing Vader tie on the regular tie card mock-up is usually close by. It seems to be a relatively common item as far as mock-ups/protos go as well. I would be interested in knowing from the proto collectors out there how they regard this piece-actual proto? Mock-up? Almost made the cut sales example? Interestingly enough, AFA labels them as "small wing vader tie/20 back" and not as proto/first shot on proof card/etc.

Any help is appreciated-thanks!

Cal
    Adam_L likes this.
    "Having Trouble With Your Droid...?"

They are of production quality which may be why AFA lables them like that. They are far more common on the tie card as opposed to the vader card. I would guess there are more then people think maybe 25-50 examples as a very rough estimate. I suspect that they looked at the size of the vehicles and realized the small wing piece was way out of proportion and so they adjusted it.

James G
    Vlix Character Collector
    Unproduced Droids & Ewoks Figure & Coin Collector.
    Looking for Foreign Droids and Ewoks items.

Just to clarify - no factory-sealed Canadian version of the small wing Darth Vader TIE Fighter has ever been found. We got our cardback layouts from Kenner USA, and the small-wing layout was what we used for all of our (large-wing) diecast Darth Vader TIE Fighters. The card design was never updated on the Canadian version to mirror the US' large-wing version. It always remained the original small wing design:

Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks