Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Cynical old age or are things truly a bit crap??

•    

Cynical old age or are things truly a bit crap??

With the MOS getting mixed reviews,IM3 disappointing many,and expectations being suitable low to avoid mass suicide with the impending Sequel Trilogy,is it just me who feels like a cynical old fart???

i mean I enjoyed the Avengers,X-Men First Class and Prometheus....to a certain extent...

But there doesn't seem to be anything generally that blows my mind nowadays...
    I enjoy GOT and the Walking Dead,but again it's not really on the same level of geekdom to me as stuff in my 20s that I enjoyed such as Heroes or stuff I continue to enjoy such as 30 Rock or the Daily Show.

Is this why there aren't many 70 year olds at SDCC??
    do we succumb to banality and conform to mediocrity?

i already feel my brain turning to mush whilst watching most of the shows on Disney XD with my son and Music is becoming harder to stay on top of current trends/bands/songs....and that's my job!!

what are your thoughts,fellow geeks???.....again....nowadays Geeks are considered cool....???

i need a lie down....

Darren
    Ian_C, notanerd and AussieFortuna like this.
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

Banned

You need to eat more fiber.
    Deathbymonkeys likes this.

Its like you read my mind Darren. I find myself feeling the same way about things I once had a stronger passion for. For things like movies, I too find that sure I'll enjoy something, have a strong like for it at most but rarely is there ever anything I fall in love with anymore. And I don't think its necessarily that they're bad or my interestes or expectations have changed, I just don't get as passionate about them anymore. As far as collecting I have found myself jumping from hobby to hobby since my early 20's - Simpsons, Star Wars, Transformers, Marvel/DC, Lego - I just seem to get bored, collect all I want (helps when a line is dying) and move on to the next thing. TV shows - I have stuff I like and look forward too but don't really get invested in a lot of new stuff. Poeple always say "You should watch _____" and I know that word of mout is good but with work, kids and their school, house stuff, etc there are only so many hours in a day to devote to new things. Videogames - I'm sure there are tons of great games I could be playing but I just don't find the time or general interest anymore. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and it really seems like its just all a part of getting older really. You just don't know it until its happening.

I'm old but I've got low mileage.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

How old are you? I turned 33 this year and I'm still just as into my hobbies and interests as I was as a teen or in my 20s. Maybe even more so actually.
    PSN ID: ​stormshadow138
    My Feedback

I feel this way too. I just used to LIKE things more. I used to be excited for things more. I feel like I can't watch anything now without my brain combing over lists of tropes and spotting cliches. Not much lately feels terrible original...especially these mass-market franchises like Superman and the Avengers. I've found as I get older, blockbusters just aren't as mentally and emotionally stimulating as I'd like the films I'm watching to be. Don't lose hope though, there's some fantastic independent cinema out there that I've been discovering lately that's I've been really enjoying. You don't have to enjoy what everyone else enjoys. There will always be an alternative out there to fit your evolving tastes. It does suck being less and less excited for these big event movies, but maybe that's just what happens over time. They're kind of wearing out their welcome.
    "We're the good guys" - Bluebird
    Feedback

I was born in the '60s. still waiting for the mid life crisis to mark the halfway point on my journey into cynicism. not quite there yet.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 06-14-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

I think, in part, the curtain has been pulled away, shredded, and won't ever come back to hide the little old man pulling the levers.

In 1978, how many behind-the-scenes features were there showing Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve planning out shots? In 1980-81, how many updates come out showing how Spielberg's designs for an alien left far from home were being brought to life? In 1984-85, how many different trailers, TV spots, and other promo-images were released for Back to the Future?

I don't think it's a matter of not believing a man can fly. I think they sold us on that, and then the screwed up by telling us HOW. Movies have gone up to new heights in technical skill and execution, but there's not magic left in them because we see how the tricks are done. We take the ride on movies, not for a few weeks before and after the release date, but rather for years! Just look around here, there's already threads for a Man of Steel sequel, the next Star Wars movie(s), and everything else under the sun. By the time a film is released, we've already lived with it for years, so the movie itself feels far more like a coda, an after-thought, as opposed to the climax, the pinnacle of the experience.

I don't think it's cynical to feel this way. I think it is, somewhat sadly, just another effect of the 24/7 world we live in. And we can't really blame the filmmakers, either. It falls more on the studio that want saturation-marketing campaigns. TV, online, magazines, interviews, whatever. They're giving us what we've asked for - more information, more access....

....a perfect example of "be careful what you ask for, because you might just get it."
    You don't have to like it, you just have to do it.
    --Richard Marcinko

Bad Wolf Media - My public photo page

•    
    Its hard for me to fit into this since i'm so young, but considering how I technically grew up with things that in fact came out in the 80s-90s (my dad was heavy into alternative and grunge) and how my Dad introduced me into geek culture with things he considered cool back in his day it kinda influenced me, though I may not technically be an "80s" or "90s" kid (born in 1994) the things that were popular in that time I watched/played/listened to when I was a kid. Maybe that makes me smarter than todays teen where all they talk about is the next Call of Duty or Emo music thats popular and i'm just here thinking about the N64 and listening to Pearl Jam/Dave Matthews, though I don't think its that everything is crap. Cartoons for starters have gotten dumber and shell its material to lowest common denominator, yet shows like Young Justice, Regular Show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Adventure time bleed through the cracks and are truly great material. Same with video games, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed sell billions of copies every single year and they really aren't that good because THEY'RE THE SAME THING EVERY YEAR, though the games that don't sell less (Dishonored, XCOM) are vastly superior games. I guess what i'm trying to say is there is allot of crap out there but there is always hope for good, you just have to search for it.
    Become Legend
    PSN: andosman33

"Master of Hidden and Ambiguous Sarcasm"

Captain

My disappointment related to movies these days is the point where story telling becomes a slave to special effects. We're so obsessed with the latest CGI that we forget to tell a good story. Are the effects in SW bad? Sure. But who cares? The storytelling was stupendous. I've really liked the Avengers and Iron Man movies because I think that the stories were just enough to keep you engaged, and I wasn't intimately familiar with the source material as I've never been a big superhero comic guy. My problem with Superman, Spiderman, etc, is that we've all seen the movies before. How engaged can you be in seeing the guy bitten by a spider for at least the third time? At that point, you're only going to see how cool they make it look when he's swinging between buildings. When you know the story by heart, it makes the experience a bit dull to me.

There's great stuff out there, in my opinion. The storytelling and effects in the Battlestar Galactica series, in my opinion, were fantastic. I shudder at a lot of stuff my son watches. But, Phineas and Ferb is genius, in my opinion. It's a cartoon that's smart, funny, and keeps me laughing even though it's meant for kids. I take heart when I see great story telling that isn't slave to special effects, like Game of Thrones.

And, I don't know about you all, but my expectations of the Sequel Trilogy are in no way colored by my experience with the Prequels. I'm expecting greatness, nothing less.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast