Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What X-wing did Luke have in ROTJ?

kk1
    High Admiral

What X-wing did Luke have in ROTJ?

I was thinking today, since he obviously left Red 5 on Bespin what X-wing does Luke use in ROTJ? I know they used the Red3 model in ESB in place of Red5 and built a new model for ROTJ that also was Red3 (though with coloring of Red5) does any EU story ever address this? Did the Empire take Luke's x-wing as a trophy from Bespin?

Emperor

Not sure about the ESB/ROTJ transition, but I think the old Marvel comics--if not others--had Luke crash "Red 5" pretty much right after EpIV.

I would guess the ROTJ fighter's supposed to be a different one, tho it wouldn't surprise me if it still had the same markings even if the Empire confiscated the one on Bespin. Seems like not many people wondered about that back in the day... in Heir to the Empire, Zahn describes the unique working relationship R2 has with Luke's X-wing, from so many years of working together. It doesn't specify whether Zahn believed it was the same ship that blew up the first Death Star, that I can recall anyway, but it kinda seemed implied. Still, with 5 years since ROTJ (and another year since he'd likely have gotten assigned a new ship after Bespin), that's probably plenty for the highly-efficient relationship between the ship & R2.

•    
    Good question actually. I had once thought about this but never came to a conclusion. Give this story to Lobot. He gets in the X-Wing per Lando's request to bring it back to Luke and shenanigans ensue!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Knight View Post
    Good question actually. I had once thought about this but never came to a conclusion. Give this story to Lobot. He gets in the X-Wing per Lando's request to bring it back to Luke and shenanigans ensue!
    Also makes me wonder where Luke actually landed on Cloud City. They knew he was coming, presumably he was allowed in the airspace without any resistance, unlike the Millenium Falcon. He probably parked up somewhere discreet, so Lobot and his boys possibly recovered it OK.

Since Luke was supposed to rendezvous with the rest of the Rebels after Hoth, then does that mean that he was technically AWOL with a stolen X-Wing for most of ESB? Anyone who has been in the military knows that just because you are assigned a specific vehicle doesn't mean that it is your personal property to do whatever you want to with. So, it is kind of funny that the Rebellion would be so willing to trust Luke with another X-Wing in ROTJ after he took one without permission, sunk it in a swamp and then left it for the Imperials to find on Bespin.

in the ANH novel Han gets his reward in cash, but for Luke, Leia says something like "..are you sure this is what you want? It could be a deadly reward". Luke's x-wing was owner-operated
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Emperor

Yeah, pretty sure after blowing up the Death Star, the Rebellion let him do whatever the hell he wants with the ship he used to save them all. And the Rebellion's such a ragtag group that he probably got some leeway with being AWOL.

If the ship was recovered/taken after ESB, by someone...it would make sense (no reason it would be abandoned, or forgotten)... most likely it was confiscated by the Empire...sounds right to me. It always seemed Luke was attached to the ship though, like his helmet-a good luck charm vibe. It may just be that prop-wise they gave him his ship back in ROTJ, not really considering this great point... sorta like the disappearing X-wing ladders, they always vanish once they climb in when they're not in hangars.

yes, he's a Commander, so whose his boss, Leia?! ...no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure after blowing up the Death Star, the Rebellion let him do whatever the hell he wants with the ship he used to save them all. And the Rebellion's such a ragtag group that he probably got some leeway with being AWOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    in the ANH novel Han gets his reward in cash, but for Luke, Leia says something like "..are you sure this is what you want? It could be a deadly reward". Luke's x-wing was owner-operated
    Ah, it's been so long since I've read the ANH novelization that I totally forgot about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast