Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: When will the other toy lines be considered Vintage?

Lieutenant

When will the other toy lines be considered Vintage?

There has always been a dislike in the Vintage community for anyone who considers TPOTF2 1995 toys vintage. And I would agree they are not old enough to be vintage.

The question is when does a line become vintage?

If we go by age then from '85 to '95 it was only 10 years. If we date back to 2010, and say TPOTF was 25 years old then the '95 toys will be considered Vintage in 2020? Does this sound right? I mean the '95 on wards line has to become vintage at some point. Just like antiques. There's different centuries / periods but they all still antiques.

Basically at some point the purity of the originals have to share the "vintage" honor with the other lines.

What are your thoughts?

Rear Admiral

Never!

POTF2 is already closer in time to the vintage line than to the present, so it's not a question of time.

They're just not the same.
    Ian_C likes this.

Admiral

i think its more about the fact that the modern POTF line was a total waste in the look and feel of the figures. haha BEEFED UP ! PUMPING IRON.. MONKEY FACE LEIA

but mainly cos everyone from the 77-85 era played/collected the toys and remembers those .. i may be wrong in saying but i dont think that anything that wasnt in 77-85 will ever be considered vintage.
    Brodog likes this.

Vintage definition:

1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season. 2. Wine, usually of high quality, identified as to year and vineyard or district of origin. 3. The year or place in which a wine is bottled. 4. a. The harvesting of a grape crop. b. The initial stages of winemaking. 5. Informal a. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics. b. A year or period of origin: a car of 1942 vintage. c. Length of existence; age.

1. Of or relating to a vintage. 2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic. 3. Old or outmoded. 4. a. Of the best: played songs that were vintage Cole Porter. b. Of the most distinctive: "Fatalism has coexisted with vintage American overconfidence" (Thomas Oliphant).

Personally the term vintage is utter hype, unless followed by an actual year such as wines (vintage 1995) It's a term used much too often to add a certain panache or pedigree to what some might consider old junk. It can also be used to add character to mundane modern articles of clothing (vintage jeans anyone?)

Call it what you will, I love my old junk just the same.
    Blitzkriegtrench likes this.

Rear Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by DanDman View Post
    Vintage definition:

1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season. 2. Wine, usually of high quality, identified as to year and vineyard or district of origin. 3. The year or place in which a wine is bottled. 4. a. The harvesting of a grape crop. b. The initial stages of winemaking. 5. Informal a. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics. b. A year or period of origin: a car of 1942 vintage. c. Length of existence; age.

1. Of or relating to a vintage. 2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic. 3. Old or outmoded. 4. a. Of the best: played songs that were vintage Cole Porter. b. Of the most distinctive: "Fatalism has coexisted with vintage American overconfidence" (Thomas Oliphant).

Personally the term vintage is utter hype, unless followed by an actual year such as wines (vintage 1995) It's a term used much too often to add a certain panache or pedigree to what some might consider old junk. It can also be used to add character to mundane modern articles of clothing (vintage jeans anyone?)

Call it what you will, I love my old junk just the same.
    This is all true, but in the context of SW collecting the term refers primarily to the 1977-1985 Kenner toy line, which POTF2 etc. will never be considered part of just because it's old.

That's not to say that no modern SW toys will ever be sought-after collectors' items. Many already are and more will be in the future, especially considering that the production numbers on some of the modern toys are actually much lower than the vintage line. Just that they will never be what most collectors understand to be 'vintage'.

I take that as a vote for number 2 of/or relating to vintage "characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic"
    jg73 likes this.

Admiral

In the context of this toy line, "vintage" is just a word mainly used to refer to the first Star Wars toy line Kenner produced. It doesn't necessarily have to denote a specific length of time from when the line was produced up to today's date. So with that in mind, we could just as easily substitute the word "vintage" with the word "original" to avoid offending anyone who doesn't like the 1995 POTF2 line to be referred to as "vintage".

One thing's for sure... Hasbro's POTF2 line will never be considered the "original" Star Wars toy line.
    Last edited by Shabby_Blue; 05-27-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Ian_C likes this.
    Shabby Blue

The oldest vintage Star Wars figures were 17 years old when the POTF2 line debuted. The oldest POTF2 figures are almost 18 years old right now. So it's more a matter of esteem and not just age.

I'm sure that kids who were 4 years old in 1995 (22 years old now) will look back upon POTF2 with fondness; but I don't think even those guys would want to group vintage and POTF2 together. If anything we might have to split Star Wars collectibles up into eras similar to the golden age, silver age, bronze age of comic books.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    If anything we might have to split Star Wars collectibles up into eras similar to the golden age, silver age, bronze age of comic books.
    This was my thoughts as well. I compare Star Wars to comics in certain respects. A book with a characters first appearance is where the value is. A reprint of that or just a later story containing the character isn't worth anything near.
    Also just like in comics, things that are mass produced and then put away by everyone in anticipation of later value, end up not being valuable. Spawn #1 = POTF2.

Never.......
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast