Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why does UKG grade so high? (not sure where to put this)

Why does UKG grade so high? (not sure where to put this)

Why does UKG grade things so high? I just received a UKG proof card that was given an 85. It has a decent bend in the corner and I know it would be lucky to get an 80 from AFA. This is my second UKG graded item and I feel both of them would have scored lower if they were sent to AFA. It really turns me off to UKG. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it would be in better shape. I got the impression that they were a decent competitor to AFA. I'm beginning to understand why they are not very popular here in the states. Any thoughts? Anyone else feel the same way? Or am I off?
    Last edited by Kenner76; 05-21-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Wanted: Jawa 12 back or 20 back proofs, pre-production Boushh, textured cape Leia, and anything Jessica Meade. I'm also looking for 1st shots of the "First 20". I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

I tend to agree. I once acquired a 12 Back Chewie which was graded through UKG and it was graded as a UKG 80. I then traded it off to a fellow collector who then had it regraded through AFA and it regraded AFA 75.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

I just recently sent 2 12 backs that were graded by UKG to have regraded by AFA. Both were graded 85's including 85 subs by UKG. I'll find out soon what AFA grades them and post it here.

4. Thanks from: Kenner76

Got my 12 backs today. Both had overall grades of 85 and sub-grades of 85 from UKG.

EXAMPLE 1:
    Overall 80 (Blister 85, Figure 80, Card 80)

EXAMPLE 2:
    Overall 75 (Blister 80, Figure 85, Card 75)

I honestly felt these would have received 80-85's easily but was shocked at the 75.

Grading is subjective,and this was bound to happen.Ive seen AFA items graded high,which shouldnt have been been the case with some examples.AFA made the mistake of calling themselves 'THE' authority which has always been a bold statement statement to make.Its down to personal preference really.Its not fair to start doubting UKG,s ability when mistakes have been made at AFA,and im pretty sure most collectors would feel that way.

If you buy a piece because its been graded 85 it doesnt necessarily mean you will agree with the grade.If you are really picky,then do what Jeff does and find the perfect piece,then send it for grading yourself.He has a great collection from doing that.

Slating UKG,s is wrong IMO and proves how one eyed some people are in this respect.
    JEFFS_MUSEUM and starwars2010 like this.
    The Force hasnt woken to me-its still fast asleep

Focus collector of UK 'Special buy' white,circular sticker items.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lee_ View Post
    Grading is subjective,and this was bound to happen.Ive seen AFA items graded high,which shouldnt have been been the case with some examples.AFA made the mistake of calling themselves 'THE' authority which has always been a bold statement statement to make.Its down to personal preference really.Its not fair to start doubting UKG,s ability when mistakes have been made at AFA,and im pretty sure most collectors would feel that way.

If you buy a piece because its been graded 85 it doesnt necessarily mean you will agree with the grade.If you are really picky,then do what Jeff does and find the perfect piece,then send it for grading yourself.He has a great collection from doing that.

Slating UKG,s is wrong IMO and proves how one eyed some people are in this respect.
    Totally agree with this statement.

In addition AFA have made plenty of mistakes in the past and the less said about their website the better

Moff

•    
    I myself would be happier with a higher grade than a lower one.

I once got an afa 85 bib fortuna that was worse than most 80s and had another 85 that was better than one of my 90s.

Rear Admiral

I think a good comparison would be UKG-AFA/ UK dental association-American dental association. Some standards are just lower than others.

•    
    Even from the same company you get quite different grading standards. The graders are human at the end of the day, I suppose even if the grader has had a good/bad day will affect how he grades a figure! Also whether he prefers certain figures to others. They're not supposed to let this affect their grading, but at the end of the day they're only human. Ah well. Like Lee_Gray said, I'd rather have a higher grade than a lower one! But then again I suppose at the end of the day I prefer an accurate grade. But unfortunately it's just impossible to get complete uniformity across all graders and companies. Although I have heard that UKG grade higher in generel than AFA. Does anyone know if UKG and AFA compare grades at all to keep a similar level of grading? Maybe that would be a step in the right direction? Wend1tah, had to bring british dentistry into it huh? Fair enough! Our dentists are abysmal I have to say!

11. Thanks from: Mark_Yeo

I would never send anything to AFA that was still in a UKG case. It just gives them more reason to find problems with the item to prove they are more rigid. It's asking for more scrutiny IMO. Shouldn't be that way but it probably is.
    Last edited by IoN_Cannon; 07-14-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    --
    ICT - Ion-Cannon Technician Class III
    LimeLight
    Feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast