Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ink touch ups effects value by how much?

  1. #1
    Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2005

    Ink touch ups effects value by how much?

    Even if it is just a little bit about how much does it effect the value of a figure?

  2. #2
    Moff AussieFortuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sydney Australia

    A lot, for me it would make the figure worthless.
    Jetson likes this.

  3. #3
    High Admiral SF1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    It's ungradeable, so most would pass. That being said, a ROTJ Fett for example that would have been a 75/80 could be $500-600+ in the current market and about $200 tops if touched up. (Fetts in horrible shape can still get $150+). As for a common ewok that was a $50 figure, now it's a loose figure in value.

    On a 12 Back, figure 20% of value after a touch up...(on actual grade, not apparent grade)

    Not a great return unless it was a C1 or 2 to begin with...
    Last edited by SF1138; 05-17-2013 at 12:52 AM.

  4. #4
    Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2005

    Thanks for the info, had a purchase on eBay that I noticed had some touch ups after the auction. I let the seller know and he asked me where I want to go from here. Thanks guys.

  5. #5
    High Admiral SF1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by darthcollecter View Post
    Thanks for the info, had a purchase on eBay that I noticed had some touch ups after the auction. I let the seller know and he asked me where I want to go from here. Thanks guys.
    It's always a good idea to use a blacklight. Foreign inks light up and glow like mad...
    Chancellor_Peter likes this.

  6. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2005

    I told the seller id still purchase it at a cheaper price. It's a blue saber luke

  7. #7
    Sith Lord Ian_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Caledonia, Ontario, Canada

    •    
    Quote Originally Posted by SF1138 View Post
    On a 12 Back, figure 20% of value after a touch up...(on actual grade, not apparent grade)
    I don't agree at all. While the market would be more limited, as many people would simply pass, a 12 back is still a 12 back, and if an otherwise good condition 12 back surfaced with a few ink touch ups, you're not getting $200 for a $1000 piece. It'll sell low, but 20% is absurd. I agree on more common figures, but the high priced ones are still going to get a return.

    Ian

  8. #8
    Commander LongPlayingTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I agree on more common figures, but the high priced ones are still going to get a return.
    I agree. I'd still pay good dollar for a rare touched up (we are talking carded, right? I wouldn't buy touched up loose), but I buy for meeeeee, not to flip or to grade. Those are 2 different mindsets. I don't base my purchases on what I think AFA would grade, because I don't care.....it's all about what they mean to me, not to AFA.
    ELiiTEFORCE likes this.

  9. #9
    Fleet Admiral
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Buyers do still steer clear of high end touched up MOCs. There was a carded VCJ on eBay a year or so ago that sold for well under 50% of the "non-touched up" value and was sitting for sale for weeks. I made an offer myself, glad I passed on it with hindsight.

    It does sadden me that these days everyone is so fussy, back when I started collecting even significant damage was acceptable. But now you can buy pretty much anything on eBay, people have the luxury of being fussy.

  10. #10
    High Admiral SF1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I don't agree at all. While the market would be more limited, as many people would simply pass, a 12 back is still a 12 back, and if an otherwise good condition 12 back surfaced with a few ink touch ups, you're not getting $200 for a $1000 piece. It'll sell low, but 20% is absurd. I agree on more common figures, but the high priced ones are still going to get a return.

    Ian
    20% may be low, but let's say it's a DSC or Stormtrooper. While a 12 back in AFA75/80 shape can get $500-600, recorded sales would indicate $200 is about it for touch up(so about 33%). If you are willing to spend $300 you can usually get an equally nice ungraded figure untouched. Certain 12 backs will go high, like a luke, han or vader, but most commons still suffer quite a bit. If an ungraded unpunched Han 12 back (one sold for $1999 at buy it now). I don't believe the same figure retouched would have gone much past $400. I stand by that as a suggested max, although in a bidding war, anything can happen.
    Last edited by SF1138; 05-17-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •