Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ink touch ups effects value by how much?

Captain

Ink touch ups effects value by how much?

Even if it is just a little bit about how much does it effect the value of a figure?

A lot, for me it would make the figure worthless.
    Jetson likes this.

It's ungradeable, so most would pass. That being said, a ROTJ Fett for example that would have been a 75/80 could be $500-600+ in the current market and about $200 tops if touched up. (Fetts in horrible shape can still get $150+). As for a common ewok that was a $50 figure, now it's a loose figure in value.

On a 12 Back, figure 20% of value after a touch up...(on actual grade, not apparent grade)

Not a great return unless it was a C1 or 2 to begin with...
    Last edited by SF1138; 05-17-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Captain

Thanks for the info, had a purchase on eBay that I noticed had some touch ups after the auction. I let the seller know and he asked me where I want to go from here. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by darthcollecter View Post
    Thanks for the info, had a purchase on eBay that I noticed had some touch ups after the auction. I let the seller know and he asked me where I want to go from here. Thanks guys.
    It's always a good idea to use a blacklight. Foreign inks light up and glow like mad...
    Chancellor_Peter likes this.

Captain

I told the seller id still purchase it at a cheaper price. It's a blue saber luke

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by SF1138 View Post
    On a 12 Back, figure 20% of value after a touch up...(on actual grade, not apparent grade)
    I don't agree at all. While the market would be more limited, as many people would simply pass, a 12 back is still a 12 back, and if an otherwise good condition 12 back surfaced with a few ink touch ups, you're not getting $200 for a $1000 piece. It'll sell low, but 20% is absurd. I agree on more common figures, but the high priced ones are still going to get a return.

Ian

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I agree on more common figures, but the high priced ones are still going to get a return.
    I agree. I'd still pay good dollar for a rare touched up (we are talking carded, right? I wouldn't buy touched up loose), but I buy for meeeeee, not to flip or to grade. Those are 2 different mindsets. I don't base my purchases on what I think AFA would grade, because I don't care.....it's all about what they mean to me, not to AFA.
    ELiiTEFORCE likes this.
    Interested in French Star Wars items from Kenner Canada, Meccano and Palitoy? Come join our La Guerre Des Etoiles Facebook group!

Fleet Admiral

Buyers do still steer clear of high end touched up MOCs. There was a carded VCJ on eBay a year or so ago that sold for well under 50% of the "non-touched up" value and was sitting for sale for weeks. I made an offer myself, glad I passed on it with hindsight.

It does sadden me that these days everyone is so fussy, back when I started collecting even significant damage was acceptable. But now you can buy pretty much anything on eBay, people have the luxury of being fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I don't agree at all. While the market would be more limited, as many people would simply pass, a 12 back is still a 12 back, and if an otherwise good condition 12 back surfaced with a few ink touch ups, you're not getting $200 for a $1000 piece. It'll sell low, but 20% is absurd. I agree on more common figures, but the high priced ones are still going to get a return.

Ian
    20% may be low, but let's say it's a DSC or Stormtrooper. While a 12 back in AFA75/80 shape can get $500-600, recorded sales would indicate $200 is about it for touch up(so about 33%). If you are willing to spend $300 you can usually get an equally nice ungraded figure untouched. Certain 12 backs will go high, like a luke, han or vader, but most commons still suffer quite a bit. If an ungraded unpunched Han 12 back (one sold for $1999 at buy it now). I don't believe the same figure retouched would have gone much past $400. I stand by that as a suggested max, although in a bidding war, anything can happen.
    Last edited by SF1138; 05-17-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast