Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 'this r2 unit has a bad motivator'...but that isn't a r2 unit right ?

'this r2 unit has a bad motivator'...but that isn't a r2 unit right ?

kinda silly but after watching ep. 4 the other day this made me think...
    Luke tells uncle owen that r5-d4 has a bad motivator after he blows up but calls him a "R2 unit"...
    R2 units like R2-D2 or R2-B1 look the same so I assume the R2 part is a reference to the model of the
    astromotech droid....and R5 models look like R5-D4....
    Is that right ?
    Did luke just not know the difference or was a he a robot hater who just
    catorgarizes/generalizes all droids into one boat ? lol...whatcha think ?
    peace is a lie, there is only passion

Emperor

For years, the 'official' explanation was it was just a general term for all of 'em. Like calling a tissue a Kleenex, even if it's Puffs or some store brand or whatever. R2 units were the most popular & dependable, so everyone called all astromechs "R2 units" even when they were R5s or R4s or whatever.

I'm not sure exactly where the differences came up originally... WEG or the fan magazine or something... Kenner, certainly, took the first big step calling R5-D4 by that name.

But fandom stuck by the R2s, R3s, R4s, R5s for so many years... until TPM slightly and then AOTC wholly screwed it all up. AOTC, especially, did so just to avoid having Obi-Wan calling his droid "Artoo". TCW took it to another level by introducing formerly-EU R6s, R7s, R8s into the mix... this time to avoid having anyone other than Anakin call their droid "Artoo". One reason I liked the X-wing books... the pilots often nicknamed their droids to avoid calling 'em by identical designations (tho some nicknames were based on the designation, like Wedge's R5-G8 being "Gate"). I wish George hadn't been so stubborn about R4-P17 in AOTC... the entire astromech-building hobby culture, aside from the EU and Kenner/Hasbro, had been abiding by the R-series designations & distinctions for so many years!
    Revanfan1 and Vitiate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
    For years, the 'official' explanation was it was just a general term for all of 'em. Like calling a tissue a Kleenex, even if it's Puffs or some store brand or whatever. R2 units were the most popular & dependable, so everyone called all astromechs "R2 units" even when they were R5s or R4s or whatever.
    That seems logical to me, because I've known people who refer to all sodas as "Cokes" or those who refer to all photocopy machines as "Xeroxes".

However, since ANH is the movie that first introduced astromech droids back in 1977, maybe they felt that having Luke refer to R5 as an R5-unit would do more to confuse the audience. So it would probably have been better to keep from overwhelming the audience with too much new terminology and just stick to referring to all astromechs as "R2-units." Especially when the studio was worried that nobody would understand what was happening in the movie anyway.

Now that I think about, was the term "astromech" ever actually used in any film of the Original Trilogy?
    Revanfan1 and Vitiate like this.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Banned

George Lucas has a bad motivator in his brain.

Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Now that I think about, was the term "astromech" ever actually used in any film of the Original Trilogy?
    Nope... "astro droid" is the closest they got, I think.
    Revanfan1 likes this.

One reason I liked the X-wing books... the pilots often nicknamed their droids to avoid calling 'em by identical designations (tho some nicknames were based on the designation, like Wedge's R5-G8 being "Gate"). I wish George hadn't been so stubborn about R4-P17 in AOTC... the entire astromech-building hobby culture, aside from the EU and Kenner/Hasbro, had been abiding by the R-series designations & distinctions for so many years!
    Yeah, or Kell calling his "Thirteen" not because that was it's designation, but because it had a glitch where the only "random" number it ever generated was 13, and because Kell thought of it as the 13th member of Wraith Squadron. I was sad when that droid blew up.
    Vitiate likes this.
    Show your love for Imperial Commando 2!
    New figure wants: Zayne Carrick, Ben Skywalker, Anakin Solo
    Rerelease wants: Jacen and Jaina Solo

Cool

I'm not sure exactly where the differences came up originally... WEG or the fan magazine or something... Kenner, certainly, took the first big step calling R5-D4 by that name.

But fandom stuck by the R2s, R3s, R4s, R5s for so many years... until TPM slightly and then AOTC wholly screwed it all up. AOTC, especially, did so just to avoid having Obi-Wan calling his droid "Artoo". TCW took it to another level by introducing formerly-EU R6s, R7s, R8s into the mix... this time to avoid having anyone other than Anakin call their droid "Artoo". One reason I liked the X-wing books... the pilots often nicknamed their droids to avoid calling 'em by identical designations (tho some nicknames were based on the designation, like Wedge's R5-G8 being "Gate"). I wish George hadn't been so stubborn about R4-P17 in AOTC... the entire astromech-building hobby culture, aside from the EU and Kenner/Hasbro, had been abiding by the R-series designations & distinctions for so many years!
    Well G.L., who has always been benevolent enough to let the Astromech buikding hobby use his universe unfettered, has every right to go with what he likes and to fly in the face of established Astrodroid nomenclature.

Remember this continued in teh Clone wars series with:
    R3-S6
    R6-H5
    R7-D4
    R7-F5
    R8-B7

Spencer?:>}
    Last edited by Blitzkriegtrench; 05-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Head Quartermaster of Wales (in Absentia)
    Feedback Page 1
    Feedback Page Duex
    Like Astrodroids ? Astromech Droid Collectors Thread Disney B.A.D. Parts

Nope... "astro droid" is the closest they got, I think.
    And I think that was only in Ep1. As for the OT, I think we only hear them referred to as "R2-units." So, technically there is no inconsistency within the 3 OT films themselves. There is only an inconsistency if you take into account the merchandising and EU materials.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

My neighbor does this all the time, for example-he'll say he left the tape measure in the car,...which is actually a pick-up truck.
    Vitiate likes this.

they were all "R2" units in the script, until Kenner released the red droid under the name R5-D4 and fandom took that ball and ran with it. the only reason we think of the flat-top as an "R5" is because of action figures. same reason we all think Han's jacket is blue and Max Rebo has legs.
    Vitiate likes this.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast