Page 1 of 417 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree2219Likes

Thread: The Black Series 6" - General Discussion Thread

GNT

The Black Series 6" - General Discussion Thread

Now that we know these are coming please use this thread to discuss all things related to the newly announced Black Series figures.

Hasbro unveils 'Star Wars' Black Series action figures

New toys are on a bigger scale and will focus on characters from the original movie trilogy.

Star Wars action figures are growing up with their audience.

After 35 years of fantastic plastic standing tall in pop culture at 3 inches, Hasbro is releasing the Star Wars Black Series this year, beginning a new set of 6-inch figures that will feature more articulation and an increased attention to detail.

Priced at $19.99 each, eight figures are planned for 2013 Hasbro will primarily draw characters from the original Star Wars trilogy of films while also bringing in key players from the prequels.

The first wave of four, due out in early to mid-August, includes Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing Fighter flight suit, fan-favorite droid R2-D2, bad guy Darth Maul and an Imperial Sandtrooper.

"We consider them the best figures that Hasbro's ever produced for Star Wars that meets the sensibilities of romancing the character as well as the playability and poseability that fans really appreciate," says Derryl DePriest, Hasbro vice president of boys marketing.

Hasbro has had success with the scale before with the 6-inch Marvel Legends figures based on Marvel Comics heroes and villains. In terms of Star Wars, though, the Black Series will act as a transitional point between the 3-inch toys "which is rooted in the childhood memories of generations of now-grown kids," DePriest says and the 12-inch Sideshow Collectibles figures for adult collectors.

The current "vintage"-style line of 3 figures will also continue under the Black Series banner.

In creating something new and different with Star Wars, the color black became an inspiration for toy designers, DePriest says. "It's one of the main colors of Star Wars all the way back to the beginning, and it's the approach that Lucasfilm has taken with their collector-oriented product line. We're bringing that simplicity and essence and focus on the character now to the toy aisle."

The Black Series appeals to those newbies who want to start a series from the start as well as those hardcore collectors who gobble up anything having to do with the words "Jedi" or "Empire" and "are looking for something new and their interest isn't as piqued by the 15th cantina alien we have yet to do," DePriest says. "We realize folks want their iconic characters delivered up in a new way."

With Star Wars: Episode VII coming from new Star Wars director J.J. Abrams in a couple of years, as well as comics, novels and other media adding to the universe George Lucas started in 1977, it's a good time to figure out different scales and toys for the next generation of Star Wars fan, according to DePriest.
    Before then, however, the Black Series also gives a chance for parents to connect with their own little Star Wars fans.
    "Our focus here is the adult collector, the dad," DePriest says. "We know they have their own generation of youngsters they like to share the adventure with. It can be something for dad, and the 3 world can be something for the kids to share."

So what does everyone think of a new scale?

•    
    This is terrible news as far as I'm concerned......it's not like I have to purchase them(I won't be)but it seems like a pointless reinvention of the wheel.....

i don't see the logic in this....Sideshow have the larger,pricier market cornered,so I don't understand exactly WHO these are aimed at....Kids no longer have an interest in action figures but without vehicles and playsets these are doomed to bomb...Galactic heroes succeeded due to cool cardboard environment pieces and great vehicles....12 inch figures appeal to the quality seeking high-end collector.....who exactly are these 6 inch figures aimed at???

Hasbro really does suck at the moment....I see no redeeming information forthcoming and my expectations of the upcoming toy fair are actually in the negative....

i can't see them knocking anything"out of the park" anytime soon.....

Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    That's the main reason that I wouldn't want to see a new 6" line, because I think that's all they would do.

If it stayed a sub-line, then I would be fine with that; but I think that's far too shallow of a character selection for it to completely replace the 3.75" line.
    I meant as a sub line. I never said forsake the curent scale and just stick with this supposed new one.
    Who else wears a hat like that?

Sub-Lieutenant

The way prices are these day, I'm afraid the 6-inch figures will be more in the $17.99-18.99 price range by the time they come out. And more like $22.99 in specialty stores. Heck, the Mall here sells TVC for $14.99 a pop in their toy stores.

I'd buy 6-inch figures of 2 or 3 of my favorite characters like Han and Fett but no way am I committing to another line. I just swore off DC Universe classics and Marvel Legends, and I'm trying to focus on 3.75 inch now. Bad time for that!

I think Hasbro might see this as a way to freshen up the same characters we've been seeing for a long time. Also, this might be a Hasbro reaction to non US markets worlwide. Maybe the larger figures do better overall at retail or they have market research that parents and kids will buy more overall. Maybe kids like bigger figures???

Is this line supposed to appeal to kids or collectprs or both?
    sithlord13 likes this.
    Most wanted figures: Admiral Piett

Quote Originally Posted by funboy3 View Post
    The way prices are these day, I'm afraid the 6-inch figures will be more in the $17.99-18.99 price range by the time they come out. And more like $22.99 in specialty stores. Heck, the Mall here sells TVC for $14.99 a pop in their toy stores.

I'd buy 6-inch figures of 2 or 3 of my favorite characters like Han and Fett but no way am I committing to another line. I just swore off DC Universe classics and Marvel Legends, and I'm trying to focus on 3.75 inch now. Bad time for that!

Yes, price will be a big factor is this. I won't start collecting a whole new line. An impulse once, yes, but not a whole line and the price will make it easier to skip.
    Most wanted figures: Admiral Piett

I would love a couple main characters in 6'' but imagine what could happen putting GG and Hasbro together for this. That might not be a great idea. I would much rather have NECA tackle this but that wont happen.

Price is a factor for me since, it's not high-end like SideShow. I collect both SS 12inch figures and Hasbro 3 3/4" figures but, I don't see myself collecting 6" Hasbro figures.
    Vote Empire! Palpatine/Vader 2016!

I think I'd buy a Boba Fett and that's it.
    Things I need :
    ML INFINITE 6" Black Widow
    NECA AvPR Predalien
    (at LESS than eBay prices)
    "Warning: If your Man is Iron for more than four hours, consult your Doctor Doom..." -Stephen Colbert

•    
    price and look of the figures / accessories for the figures will be a MAJOR factor in whether I'll invest in them or not. if they are in the process of making these 6" figures then sculpt and accessories are going to be everything. I want super detailed, super articulated, 100% accurate figures.... especially if they are going to be starting around the $15.99 price point and up.
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Darkartist2014.tumblr.com

Page 1 of 417 1231151101 ... LastLast