Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: The SWCA Vintage Podcast 35: Baggy Faced Bossk

For those who enjoyed the unloved item this month, here are some other Fuzzy Dart/ Chiqui Dianas...

Currently looking for Ewoks Preschool and Plush items including protos, proofs, artwork, etc.
    My Feedback

Grand Moff

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Bradley View Post
    Great show guys. Funny you should make the comparison between Boshek and Bossk's uniforms. They were actually 'shipmates' at one time; at least their costumes were. When filming the original Star Wars trilogy, LFL often used 'found' items as props that were previously used elsewhere. Both Boshek's and Bossk's uniforms were previously used in a Doctor Who episode from the late 1960s (see below):

Additional detail was added for the Star Wars movies, but you will no doubt recognize both Boshek's and Bossk's uniforms from Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back. I'm not a Doctor Who fan, so perhaps someone who is can elaborate on who the above characters are.

As for the Luke Skywalker Belt Kit, there is no writing on the back of the plastic bag.

Lastly, I was shocked that Rush was not shown some love in the Limelight drop after being voted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this month. What does a band have to do to get some recognition on the chivecast ?
    \

I like to hear your thoughts after the show as much as the show itself. I too am always amazed at the additional info you come up with afterwards, along with a few other guys here. It really rounds out each episode if you're asking me.
    Last edited by Joshua_A; 01-04-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: I ain't saying it was Aliens, but it was Aliens.
    Adam_L likes this.

Grand Moff

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_K View Post
    Love the UG-X Jarrod!

Great show again Skye and Steve. I'm in complete agreement with Steve on HFR 48fps on The Hobbit. I tried to go into it with an open mind with my first viewing being IMAX 3D 48fps the way Jackson intended it to be seen, but I find it so jarring that it took me out of the movie. That scene Steve mentioned of Bilbo looking in his trunk felt like it was on Fast Forward and for some reason even the wide landscape shots felt more like I was looking at miniatures. A couple days later I saw it in regular 2D 24fps and the overall experience for me was much better. I'm glad that we have the option and based on most critical feedback, I don't see this format taking off. However, I think it depends on if the younger generation embraces it or not. Also, I think HDTV manufacturers have been trying to prepare people for it with Motion Interpolation which seems to be enable by default on most now. It is the first thing I disabled on mine because it made every movie look like it was made for T.V. Anyway, I hope that the new SW movies don't use it, but I wouldn't be surprised where SW has always been about pushing film technology forward. For anyone who wants a nice long read, this is one of the better articles I've found on 48fps and goes into why it fails. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Masterclass in Why HFR fails, and a reaffirmation of what makes cinema magical

I also agree with Skye that the Yan/Luke Jedi miscard was intentional. There's enough of them out there. I finally got mine about a year ago. My theory is that maybe they ran out of Luke cardbacks and substituted Yan. The images on the cards are almost identical with the character poses of them with guns drawn. I've also seen them packaged with or without the palace blaster, but none of the other accessories.

That is so obvious now you mention about the cards looking almost the same, I can't believe I never really took notice of it before.
    Last edited by Joshua_A; 01-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Bradley View Post

Additional detail was added for the Star Wars movies, but you will no doubt recognize both Boshek's and Bossk's uniforms from Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back. I'm not a Doctor Who fan, so perhaps someone who is can elaborate on who the above characters are.
    Scott,

I love it when my two of my favorite things cross over. If I recall correctly, both characters were featured in a famous "lost" story of Doctor Who entitled, "The Wheel in Space". Only two episodes exist and I remember capturing the below image below several years ago from the DVD. (Click to enlarge)

They were not part of the main cast but are referred to as Laleham and Vallance. Here is the description of the scene taken taken from an online episode guide:

Laleham (Michael Goldie) and Vallance (Derrick Gilbert) have already space-walked over to the Silver Carrier, but they are taken prisoner by the Cybermen and hypnotised into smuggling the Cybermen onto the wheel inside crates of bernalium.

Each have Boshek's helmets and despite being shot in black and white, I am almost certain the one on the left has a yellow "Bossk" outfit.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark_Huber; 01-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    Member of the 62 Club
    CAVSWCC

Power Of The Force Coins Facebook Group
    Wanted: Bronze POTF Coins & Silver UDE Coins

Great show once again Skye & Steve Skye - Allez RCT!

taken from the 'Chive Cast Thread on TIG shot of Doctor Who companions Jamie and Zoe from one of the surviving 'Wheel In Space' episodes. This scene has also been used as a comparison to the X-Wing Pilot suits.

More detailed shot of Jamie from one of the surviving 'Wheel In Space' episodes.

Last edited by Artoo_Detour; 01-05-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    Adam_L likes this.
    thevintagetoyadvertiser.org Recognise these toys? Cool toy ads from the 1970s and 80s!

Great episode. honestly when I was a kid I thought that little black cross hatch thing on Bossk's chest was a cross necklace. Guess he's a Christian bounty hunter!
    I seek Yoda. Collect him I must. Sell to me your production and preproduction Yoda items you will. Vintage it is, yes yes. Mmm hehehe.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I love the spin-off discussions that ensue.... really opens things up. My girlfriend is a huge Doctor Who fan so she was quite excited to see the connection between our beloved iguana bounty hunter in capris and a classic episode of that show.

Jarrod - that UG-X may be the best of your creations yet...seriously brilliant.

Shawn - Great insight about the Yan/Luke Jedi. Seeing them side by side, it really makes sense. I'm also glad I wasn't the only one jarred by the 48fps (I can't stand that "Motion Interpolation" on HDTVs either - I recently was walking through a department store that had Vader and Ben's duel from SW playing in this mode and I didn't even recognize it).

Thanks for coming back on, Ron. It's great to keep the polyvocality going and your input is always appreciated (on and off-air).

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_A View Post
    I like to hear your thoughts after the show as much as the show itself. I too am always amazed at the additional info you come up with afterwards, along with a few other guys here. It really rounds out each episode if you're asking me.
    Thanks! I get a kick out of the 'behind the scenes' stuff. There are so many stories about the filming of the movies. I really find it interesting.
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

Thanks Mark - very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Huber View Post
    Scott,

I love it when my two of my favorite things cross over. If I recall correctly, both characters were featured in a famous "lost" story of Doctor Who entitled, "The Wheel in Space". Only two episodes exist and I remember capturing the below image below several years ago from the DVD. (Click to enlarge)

They were not part of the main cast but are referred to as Laleham and Vallance. Here is the description of the scene taken taken from an online episode guide:

Laleham (Michael Goldie) and Vallance (Derrick Gilbert) have already space-walked over to the Silver Carrier, but they are taken prisoner by the Cybermen and hypnotised into smuggling the Cybermen onto the wheel inside crates of bernalium.

Each have Boshek's helmets and despite being shot in black and white, I am almost certain the one on the left has a yellow "Bossk" outfit.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Mark

It looks like the Boshek and Bossk uniforms were used in more than one episode OR by different characters in the same episode. The actors shown in these shots are different than my screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Artoo_Detour View Post
    Great show once again Skye & Steve Skye - Allez RCT!

taken from the 'Chive Cast Thread on TIG shot of Doctor Who companions Jamie and Zoe from one of the surviving 'Wheel In Space' episodes. This scene has also been used as a comparison to the X-Wing Pilot suits.

More detailed shot of Jamie from one of the surviving 'Wheel In Space' episodes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast