Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Bring Comic Packs Back! Here are some sure-fire ideas...

Lieutenant Commander

Bring Comic Packs Back! Here are some sure-fire ideas...

I don't know about y'all, but as a fan of the EU, I LOVED the comic packs. Hasbro did release some rather wonky ones toward the end, such as the IG-97 and General Mohc 2-pack from Wal-Mart, but we got some really good figures as well, such as Kir Kanos, Vilmarh Grahrk, A'Sharad Hett, the Dark Woman and others.

I saw Hasbro's Marvel comic 2-packs in Toys R Us the other day and started brainstorming on ideas for sure-fire 2-packs that would be popular. These aren't pairings of obscure characters that only uber-fans would want, but ideas that would appeal to the masses for their interesting characters and accompanying comic books, as well as satisfying collectors. Here are my ideas so far (please feel free to add your own).

1) Kenix Kil and Mirith Sinn from Crimson Empire II. Kenix Kil is simply a REALLY cool bounty hunter, and Mirith Sinn is a great female character. I can't find a good in-comic shot of Mirith, but her outfit is better than in Crimson Empire I.

Kenix Kil should definitely have a cloth poncho and ball-jointed hips.

2) Jacen and Jaina Solo from Invasion.
    This is an easy win-win for fans and Hasbro. Re-release these hard to find figures and include an issue of the comic.

3) K'Kruhk with hat and Cade Skywalker without jacket.
    Another win-win. We'd finally get K'Kruhk's hat, revised Cade, and both of these hard to find figures would make people happy.

Cade would look a bit like this:

4) Re-release Tholme and T'raa Sa'a - I never saw these, and their prices are ridiculous on eBay.

5) Re-release Uliq Qel Droma and Exar Kun - same as above. If you want to make these 2 releases different, just change the comic book issue!

6) Zayne Carrick and Griff - really cool Jedi with yellow lightsaber and an interesting and different Snivvian. Plus, this is one of the best comic series out there.

7) Kam Solusar and Empatojayos Brand from Dark Empire. Kam is a HUGE character in the EU and Empatojayos Brand is quite unique. Add a lightsaber attachment to his mechanical hand and a clear hover-stand and you've got a weird, fun figure - both from one of the best comics ever.

8) Kyp Durron and either Kirana Ti or Tionne from Jedi Academy: Leviathan. Kyp Durron is another big character in the EU as is Tionne. Kirana Ti is interesting AND Dathomiri.

pr

9) Dass Jennir and Beyghor Sadehtt
    Both from the immensely popular Dark Times comics. Dass Jennir (bigger pic) is the star and Beyghor is an extremely cool Verpine Jedi - who wouldn't want him?

10) Guri and Dash Rendar - Guri is one of the most requested figures, and poor Dash needs an upgrade with working holster, bare arms and better sculpt.

I'll add more as I think of them.
    Clouded this boy's future is...
    ...the Dark Side clouds everything.

I don't know, all of those characters seem pretty obscure to me, since most people have probably never picked up a Star Wars comic in their lives and probably wouldn't for a $17-20 comic pack (which we know would be the pricepoint for these sets).

Anyways, I'm sure there are some fans who would be happy with those character selections, but I'm not one of them.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

the only ones i agree with are dash and guri cade skywalker exar kun and ulic.
    that ball guy from dark empire is possibly the dumbest looking character in star wars history.
    also hasbro really dropped the ball on the ig-97 - rahm moc comic pack, they had a great chance to do my most wanted characters ever. spiker and big gizz who were the stars of the comic that the figures were released with, hell rahm moc only apperead as a flasback in the comic and ig-97 had a pretty minor role in that comic.

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think you're correct that no one has picked up a Star Wars comic in their lives. All these characters are main characters from their series, and have had lasting impacts on the Expanded Universe. Empatojayos Brand may be the least recognizable, but anyone who has read onward in the books knows of all the others. Brand could also be replaced by a new Jedi Leia

Crimson Empire III just finished up this year, and the completed Crimson Empire Saga is now available as a collected hardback. Comics are definitely popular, and I think they're great ways to get people to expand their fandom. People who like Knights of the Old Republic video games will love the comic series, for example.

Here are a few more suggestions:

11) Xarcce Huwla and Winter from X-Wing Rogue Squadron. Xarcce is a really neat Tunroth female pilot as distinct, if not more so than some of the other pilots they've released so far (like the bald Plour Illo), and Winter is Princess Leia's body guard/double and wife of Tycho Celchu.

12) In lieu of #7 they could do Kam Solusar and Corran Horn as Jedi from Union.

So of your ideas are too out there to get done.
    You have to have at least one seem decent known character to help sell the pack. Zayne, Hasbro has already said that the only way they will make him is in a comic pack. So there is a good chance that if comic packs do make a return Zayne could be showing up. Some of the others have some interesting selections. I just really do hope that comic packs return

I'd buy a few of those, especially Corran, Cade, Dash, and Zayne.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
    Looking for: MU Northstar. Falcon from CA2. Have: MU Captain America, Grim Reaper, Hyperion, WW Hulk.

Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Nrin_Vakil View Post
    I don't think you're correct that no one has picked up a Star Wars comic in their lives.
    Well, I wouldn't be correct if I had said that, but I didn't say that. I said that MOST people have PROBABLY never picked up a Star Wars comic in their lives and I stand by that statement.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I actually try to follow EU characters, and there are several here I've never heard of. Besides the Exar Kun re-pack, The KOTOR and SOTE are probably the only ones there I'd really want. Even at that, I've never gotten the appeal of Guri. Are Star Wars collectors that starved for boobs?

I'd like a lot of those, but I don't see them as all that likely. Mirith and Kenix Kil would be cool. I'd like to see Dass Jennir, but in his original costume.
    I bent my Wookiee.

Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Well, I wouldn't be correct if I had said that, but I didn't say that. I said that MOST people have PROBABLY never picked up a Star Wars comic in their lives and I stand by that statement.
    I stand corrected

I will admit that Kyp, Kam, and Corran are in there because they are quite pivotal characters in the EU. It's just hard to find a worthwhile character to put them with comic-wise.

Kenix Kil has a great costume and could be a great figure!

CaptainJack - that's the best part of the EU - if you don't know something, check it out. That's kind of the point of the comic packs, I think. They're not just for die-hard EU fans, but also to encourage others to check out the EU. I've seen more than one person who doesn't know much at all about the EU see the Verpine Jedi and think he's cool. Wouldn't he make a great figure that'd stand out on the shelf at a store?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast