Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kenner Radio Controlled R2-D2 - Can They Be Fixed?

Kenner Radio Controlled R2-D2 - Can They Be Fixed?

I'm on the lookout for a mostly-white to white Kenner Radio Controlled R2-D2 complete with a box. Turns out this is not an easy thing to get. Either the box has tape all over it, rips and tears, R2-D2 is yellowed, R2-D2 doesn't work properly....or a combination of these things.

I know I can't do anything about yellowing plastic or a torn box, but what about a broken or malfunctioning R2 unit?

Has anyone repaired this old Kenner toy? Are there any websites out there detailing how it's put together to help someone repair one?

Thanks

Thanks for the link! It's a good start to get an idea of the guts of the unit. Too bad the pics are so small and no actual repairs were performed/explained.
    Jasonfusj likes this.

Commander

I have a nice completely functional one in a C-9 box that is one of my favorites in my entire collection.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison2951 View Post
    I have a nice completely functional one in a C-9 box that is one of my favorites in my entire collection.
    ARGH! Lucky man! Have you had it long? If recently do you mind saying how much you snagged it for?

Fleet Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by dukeofcrydee View Post
    ARGH! Lucky man! Have you had it long? If recently do you mind saying how much you snagged it for?
    they are pretty common and all over Ebay...

-James

Quote Originally Posted by assemblyrequired View Post
    they are pretty common and all over Ebay...

-James
    In general, yes, but his was functional and in a C-9 box. Those aren't all that common, especially for reasonable prices.

Emperor's Hand

Even when they were originally sold they were plagued with problems and Kenner had lots around the office. Probably 1/3 of the ex-employees we'd track down had them and we saw so many that it was almost a joke. They had all kinds of mechanical problems and stores would return them or not buy more so Kenner had plenty to give away. They still definitely sold a ton to the public and aren't that highly priced so you can find one for a decent price if you're patient. Since they're not action-figure related they're more of a tertiary-type collectible.

-chris
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

I had one of these and played with it all the time. Never had any problems with mine! I Found a few on Ebay the other day myself but it looked like they were all in need of some type of repair.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorgoulias View Post
    Even when they were originally sold they were plagued with problems and Kenner had lots around the office. Probably 1/3 of the ex-employees we'd track down had them and we saw so many that it was almost a joke. They had all kinds of mechanical problems and stores would return them or not buy more so Kenner had plenty to give away. They still definitely sold a ton to the public and aren't that highly priced so you can find one for a decent price if you're patient. Since they're not action-figure related they're more of a tertiary-type collectible.

-chris
    Thanks for that bit of history! I had no idea they had so many problems. The one I had as a kid I got as a present when I got my tonsils out. My mother regretted that decision when I played with it all the time and the sound effect drove her nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast