Thread: Anybody know anything about vintage trains??

Anybody know anything about vintage trains??

I have come across some old train cars and track and know nothing about them. I will post some pics if anybody thinks they can help. Thanks!!

GNT

Quote Originally Posted by loplop View Post
    Anybody know anything about vintage trains??
    They're old and go on tracks :p

Honestly don't know a thing about trains but depends on what your asking really? What are they made from? When were they made? Are they important or historical trains aka something commemorative that's marking an event or just your average everyday train?

Where did you get them? going to sell them? All very important questions

The Story (Pic Heavy!!)

Her is the story:
    My father in law's mother died a few months ago. Going through the garage we came across a box of old toy trains. The bottom of the coal car says "Mar Toys". That's all I can find on them. There were a couple of buildings with it. My father in law was just looking to see if we could do something with it. Here are some pics:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm no "expert" but I beleive you have a couple of different items. The train appears to be O or o-27 hard to tell from the pics.

The engine actually appears to be a "marx" set. If it is, this I beleive was a tin set. I have my Dad's from around the50's 60's I believe (looks similar). Looks like the lettering on the sides was all added to the cars after market to personalize. No pictures, and can't look up right now, but the cars may be a mix of marx, but some actually look to be the old Lionel cars. Don't quote me, but hopefully it gives you a place to look

The barn and house appear to be Plasticville... O guage?? (large guage) These would probably have been bought seperatly?

NOTE: The house is a plasticville Ranch house I beleive (thought it may help if you are searching on ebay)

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by bobafett14; 12-18-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling and additional note.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker