Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 75003 A-Wing Starfighter

Quote Originally Posted by minerjem View Post
    I'm still learning the way Lego works. Is $.17/per brick bad? I've been using a $.10/per brick mentality to help me with my purchases. Needless to say, I haven't bought many sets that weren't on sale.
    It depends on the pieces. I'd gladly pay 17 cents a piece for a set of nothing but 32x32 base plates, but if they are all small pieces like in the over-priced advent calenders, I don't even like paying 10 cents a piece.

Weight is a better gauge of value. Think about this example, 1 2x4 brick or 3 2x4 plates stacked. Should the brick be $.10 and the 3 plates $.30, or should they be about the same price?

Having said that, I do still look at the price per piece, after I subtract $3 per minifig when determining a good value. Large molded figs like dinosaurs, Jabba, Wampa, etc complicate things. Thats why the Dino sets and Jabbas Palace feel way over-priced.
    Looking to buy or trade for GI Joe Kreo Cobra army builders. Please PM if you can help me out.

Not sure if it is worth reiterating but:

Malevolence - 1.66 kg (3.66 lbs) for 1092 pieces
    Jabba's Palace - 1.76 kg (3.88 lbs) for 717 pieces
    both $120 retail

Similarly
    X-Wing Fighter - 0.9kg (1.98 lbs) for 560 pieces
    Rancor Pit - 1.04kg (2.29 lbs) for 380 pieces
    both $60 retail

So I agree with the price by weight as a better indicator of whether a set's retail price is justified. Not that I wouldn't wait for a sale in any situation.

EDIT: Though I'm still not sure how they justify the prices on the advent calendars.
    Last edited by Kobayashi; 01-21-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    Product shown in fantasy situation

I bet a large part of the cost of the advent calender is the packaging and bagging 25 different "sets". Plus it's x-mas and most people lose what little common sense they have at that time.

Anyway, it is interesting to see how the weight does tend to line up price wise.
    Looking to buy or trade for GI Joe Kreo Cobra army builders. Please PM if you can help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tontus314 View Post
    Plus it's x-mas and most people lose what little common sense they have at that time.
    That makes sense, but I thought it might also be that a Christmas-themed set is going to have a smaller window for retailers to sell during the year, so Lego produces it in smaller numbers thus the higher cost.

Moff

Quote Originally Posted by The_Chosen_1 View Post
    Traditionally the $.10/piece benchmark has been the standard measure for value when it comes to Lego. It's not always the best measurement to go by (e.g., if a set has several new molds or minifigures, for example, it might justify a higher price. Might being the key word here ). At the end of the day, just use your best judgment and keep in mind that there's rarely a reason to pay full price for Lego. Keep checking Amazon, weekly circulars, etc., because there are always sales.

the 10 cent mark always seems to be regardless of inflation or other related costs (like oil, labour and transportation)

Someone posted this, it's a good little read
    What Happened with LEGO Reality Prose
    Huge Army Builder, 852 figures and counting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345