Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: OT: Super 7 to make Kenner's unproduced 3 3/4" Alien line

Admiral

OT: Super 7 to make Kenner's unproduced 3 3/4" Alien line

Thought this article was pretty cool! One can only dream that Hasbro will let them do unproduced Kenner SW figures.
    Save your child's sight; educate yourself on Retinoblastoma.

Grand Moff

Well that's certainly worth getting excited about
    Last edited by Joshua_A; 07-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kirklondon View Post
    Thought this article was pretty cool! One can only dream that Hasbro will let them do unproduced Kenner SW figures.
    Thanks for posting this. I have to get a set of these.
    Buying vintage and modern Lando prototypes and unusual items.
    http://www.popculturecentral.com/

im not familiar with super 7, but i have wished for a very long time that somebody would do something like this. there are some other vintage lines and figures that in preproduction and advertised but never actually released, it would be amazing if some company would get these out for a collector market.

•    
    I'm still not sure if I like this, they're really really cool and I'll likely pick up a set. But at the same time I like when there are some unique unproduced items in the toy world that not everyone can have, sure, the original prototypes are unique and can't be compared to a modern re-make. But the magic around such items get a bit lost when they get released like this. Did I say I still want a set

I'm also very curious about the rights, I wonder if there still are rights on the sculpts after all these years, or if they had to buy the rights to produce them from Hasbro who owns Kenner's rights.

Mattias

Grand Moff

I agree with Mattias. The prototypes are now more special because it's from an unproduced line. The "what-could-have-been"-factor is in play here. Like with the Dark Crystal prototypes. Now they are going to produce (parts) of the Aliens line and that factor goes away. Those pieces are grail pieces, but are becoming 'common' when they get massproduced.

It's kind of like buying a Vlix (not completly the same, but coming close). The prototypes are fantastic, but you see customs of Vlix everywhere. The other Droids prototypes have more going for them because those are only (for the most part) available as prototypes.

-Alex
    Last edited by AJ_van_Zelst; 07-15-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Emperor's Hand

Yeah, I think it's like a Catch 22 for people. It would be fun to see them realized, but it really kills the original prototypes. For really rare toys this has happened before (such as the Caption Action reissues). Supposedly they were turned down by collectors to cast their original so I'm not sure who they found or how they're doing this. I wonder if they had them resculpted from the Tomart photos (which they're apparently using for their promotion). You could definitely get close enough by rescupting them and it wouldn't matter if you had the originals at that point. Same goes for recreating the cardbacks.

-chris
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Along with the Star Wars trilogy of movies, the original Alien was one of the films that really cemented my love of sci-fi.

I dont think releasing the unproduced Kenner Alien figures will harm the prototypes value / desirability or make them less special. In fact I think the opposite would be true.

Its a bit like when some lost footage from a movie turns up - like it did with Fritz Lang's Metropolis a couple of years back. Would you rather that footage stayed in the vault of a private collector or would you rather it was made available to the world?

At the end of the day if there are Alien fans out there who would get a smile on their face and recieve happiness as a result of finally being able to acquire one of these figures then isnt that a good enough reason?

Emperor's Hand

What if carded vintage SW figures were being exactly reproduced instead? Do you still think it wouldn't affect the values of the originals? It most certainly would. That's exactly what happened with the Captain Action line. The values aren't erased, but they are affected.

This isn't some altruistic endeavor to bring happiness to people, it's just a way for a company to create a toy line for sale. And much like many movies these days, it's rehashing something old rather than developing something new.

Look, I'm not saying the idea isn't kinda cool and that people won't be stoked on them, especially because it's a done deal anyway. I'm saying that the mystique is erased when something this happens and that the original prototypes are part of that mystique. And that only damages the people (collectors) that sought the originals out and preserved them. Of course, with simply the photos existing, it could all be re-created so even the absence of physical items doesn't preclude them from being developed.

-chris
    Lee_Bullock likes this.
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorgoulias View Post
    What if carded vintage SW figures were being exactly reproduced instead? Do you still think it wouldn't affect the values of the originals?
    Chris, with all respect the carded vintage SW figures were produced and sold back in the day so the analogy isnt comparable.

The vintage alien figure line were never produced, and were never enjoyed by children or collectors. The five different prototypes now reside in a private collection/s, and if anything awareness of their existence and mystique would be increased by finally producing the figure line.

People seem to be fighting for the rights of those one or two individuals who currently own the prototypes but I really cant see them as losers if this goes ahead. It's a win for the toy company. Its a win for the fans who would like to collect these figures. And its a win for the prototype owners.

These figures look really cool and they were intended for production - so why not make that happen.
    Last edited by Bonsai_Tree_Ent; 07-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    captainpiett likes this.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast