Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: MIB firearms, but not Star Wars?

MIB firearms, but not Star Wars?

Serious apologies if I missed the specifics on this, but why can Men In Black guns be made and sold and not Star Wars blasters?

eFX Inc. - AGENT K'S STANDARD ISSUE

Thanks!
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"
    "This above all: To thine own own self be true."
    "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."

I guess an explanation could be because it is enough sci-fi looking to not be confused with a real gun
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

If I remember correctly, weren't most of the OT guns based on actual WW1 and 2 firearms? Maybe that has something to do with it?
    My Feedback Thread
    My ever growing Movie Collection

That is what I was thinking when I saw that.
    “I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic78 View Post
    If I remember correctly, weren't most of the OT guns based on actual WW1 and 2 firearms? Maybe that has something to do with it?
    Correct! The MIB guns are fantasy/ sci-fi looking and can't easily be confused with a real gun.

SW blasters and rifles were made out of actual WWII equipment with parts machines on. Hence they were actual guns. Now, eFX could do some PT guns like Amidala's hand pistol from TPM for example, falls under the fantasy/ sci-fi catagory.

Interesting that eFX and Factory Replicas BOTH have the MIB license. Wonder how that works. Maybe eFX is MIB3 only.
    Last edited by Jay_the_Lesser; 05-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Dear Disney, if you want to bring back the SW Fan Club -contact me.

Fleet Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_the_Lesser View Post
    Correct! The MIB guns are fantasy/ sci-fi looking and can't easily be confused with a real gun.

SW blasters and rifles were made out of actual WWII equipment with parts machines on. Hence they were actual guns. Now, eFX could do some PT guns like Amidala's hand pistol from TPM for example, falls under the fantasy/ sci-fi catagory.

Interesting that eFX and Factory Replicas BOTH have the MIB license. Wonder how that works. Maybe eFX is MIB3 only.
    Just a note, that we DO NOT have the license for MIB 3, we are just the distributor for Studio Art & Technology. They have the license for MIB 3 and Factory Entertainment has the license for MIB and MIB 2.

Studio Art got the license rights for MIB 3 since they are the original prop makers for the film.

For those who have not seen the gun, it is a really incredible prop with the LED's!!

Bryan
    Last edited by eFXBryan; 05-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Fleet Admiral

As some of you already know, Studio Art & Technology is having some technical problems with their ordering system. Therefore, we will temporarily be accepting pre-orders on their behalf at our website www.efxcollectibles.com

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thanks!

Bryan

Was excited to see someone asked this question. Was not surprised once again to see it wasn't officially answered...
    "Only now, at the end, do you understand."

I absolutely did not chime in with this question to stir the pot and start something. I only wrote it because I thought something had changed when I saw the MIB offer for a firearm.
    Heard the bit about fantasy vs real firearms, but I think it is a flaccid argument....just ridiculous.

However, having said that....There are a fair number of blasters in the Star Wars universe which were not made from existing firearms from our world. Are those fair game now?
    I only want to know because it would be nice to see a blaster or two more in the Star Wars prop line!
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"
    "This above all: To thine own own self be true."
    "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPickles View Post
    Was excited to see someone asked this question. Was not surprised once again to see it wasn't officially answered...
    It has been officially answered, several times. Too many based on real guns coupled with too many various laws from country to country and state to state.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast