Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Cool Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Let's talk about the fan made helmets here. Not just Stormtroopers, but other Imperials and even rebels. Let's see if there is interest on this forum regarding discussions about accuracy too. The links below might help us too:

StarWarsHelmets

* Armor 101

------- The Parts of Star Wars --------

A list of the most known fan made helmets:

MR/eFX
    = Master Replicas/eFX Collectibles - licensed Star Wars helmets

AP = Authentic Props - because it's being pulled in ABS, the detail is not as sharp as the TE2

ATA = Affordable Trooper Armor - Is it made by SuperTrooper (Terrell from FISD/501st) from a CAP mold

CfO = Cast from Original - very accurate ROTJ helmets with special liners inside, but they are making other helmets, even non-Star Wars props

FX/GT= is a fan sculpt but not accurate at all. Many 501st members still wear this type of armor. The helmet is notorious for it's over-sized, bobble-head look.

Gino = very accurate helmet.

SDS = Shepperton Design Studios (Andrew Ainsworth - the guy who pulled the helmets back in 1976) - a lot of controversy here, but the helmets themselves are cool, and a bit more sturdier then the regular unlicensed lids.

SiMan/RS Props = the latest Stormtrooper helmet produced from a movie used prop (this is the ultimate Stormtrooper Stunt helmet and keeps ALL the details and bumps from the original ILM helmet)

TM = Trooper Master - a 100% fan sculpt but probably the most accurate armor in the world (for not having been recast from screen-used items).

TE/TE2 = Trooper Expert - TE has sold his molds and the new owner is going by the term TE2. Very accurate.

-----

TK in 501st language means Stormtrooper helmet the same way TB means Scout and TI TIE Pilot etc. TK comes in fact from this: TK-421 - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki
    Last edited by Sergiu; 04-13-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added links
    intwenothor and kevb0977 like this.
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

•    
    Is there a list or even many people that make Sandtrooper helmets too??? I'm going to save up for a decent more accurate Stormtrooper helmet but after that I'd like a Sandtrooper helmet for my collection..., I know you've shown me a few pictures (of your Sandtrooper helmet I believe) BUT thought if it's all on this topic then I'll know where to come when looking for what I'm after?!?
    Last edited by kevb0977; 04-12-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

Usually Sandtrooper helmets, besides the known differences between some of the paint apps on trapezoids and tear drops (Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper Comparisons) they also need a good weathering. In most cases a nice Tatooine weathering is what makes a good Sandtrooper helmet or not IMO.

My Sandtrooper helmet is a TE2 painted by the talented RPF member MadridBoba to resemble the "Move Along" Sandtrooper:

kevb0977 likes this.
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

4. Thanks from: kevb0977

•    
    What sort of price should I be looking to pay for a Darth Vader helmet & what version (maker) would be the best to get one from i.e. who makes a more accurate helmet of him???
    "Look Sir, Droids"

Unfortunately Vader is not my strong point. I'm not a Vader collector, I'm an OT Imperials/Trooper collector. Though I'd recommend the eFX ANH Vader helmet or the MR Vader helmet if you want to go for licensed items. For unlicensed, I don't know for sure, since as I said it is not my focus, so never really cared too much. But maybe other members who have fan made Vader helmets can chime in, or Star Wars Helmets or http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php could be of more help
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

7. Thanks from: kevb0977

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    Unfortunately Vader is not my strong point. I'm not a Vader collector, I'm an OT Imperials/Trooper collector. Though I'd recommend the eFX ANH Vader helmet or the MR Vader helmet if you want to go for licensed items. For unlicensed, I don't know for sure, since as I said it is not my focus, so never really cared too much. But maybe other members who have fan made Vader helmets can chime in, or Star Wars Helmets or http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php could be of more help
    Well you've made me smile..., I've checked your pictures & you have at least 21 Darth Vader statues/helmets/posters that I can see so I recon that makes you a bit of a collector of Darth Vader!!! lol I only have 4 Darth Vader statues myself, I do have another ordered (ArtFX+) & a Riddell helmet in the post though BUT that's still nowhere near your collection of Darth Vader's!!!

I think it would be nice to have a Darth Vader helmet along with the Stormtrooper helmets I plan to eventually get..., would have it as a center peice with the Stormtroopers either side. Thanks for the links..., it's for future reference ofcourse (when funds permit).
    "Look Sir, Droids"

I have many Vader statues indeed, but mostly because he is the one companies made more than any other character alas. I would really prefer to have the same number of Stormtrooper items instead though.
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

•    
    I would definately prefer more Stormtrooper statues, I have even been pondering hunting down some of the Gentle Giant deluxe statues as they have many different poses so wouldn't all look the same..., I'd also like to get the Attakus Sandtroopers & Stormtrooper(s) but at a reasonable price, I shall just have to be patient though as it does pay off sometimes.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    SiMan/RS Props = the latest Stormtrooper helmet produced from a movie used prop (this is the ultimate Stormtrooper Stunt helmet and keeps ALL the details and bumps from the original ILM helmet)
    Hey Sergiu, where does on acquire one of these helmets and at what sport of price? I'm not familiar with this piece.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by intwenothor View Post
    Hey Sergiu, where does on acquire one of these helmets and at what sport of price? I'm not familiar with this piece.
    You can find them here:

the Replica Prop Forum

As for what it is you can read here - a lot to read, but well worth it:

Original 1977 ANH Stormtrooper Armor and Helmet - Page 25
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast