Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Star Wars Classics/Legends Collection

The Star Wars Classics/Legends Collection

Adam Pawlus has started banging a drum that I myself have been suggesting and hoping for for awhile now - a new line of Star Wars "Legends" or "Classics 6" action figures."

Not to replace or usurp the current 4" line, but to compliment it (as Marvel Legends is to Marvel Universe.)

Frankly, this is one of the last few things Hasbro could do, at this point, to keep me in the Star Wars game. If they went down this route, at the quality level they have for the current Marvel Legends, I'd stick around for a long time. I'd order cases without question.

A reboot, with a higher quality of figure that simply isn't possible on the scale of figures designed for vehicle interaction would be the defibrillator my collecting life needs. A reboot. Back to basic signature characters. Definitive cuts at classic characters.

Plus, Build-a-Figure Jabba the Hutt, Wampa, Probot, Ephant Mon, Muftak, Darktrooper... etc.

And yes, I know there are folks on here passionately against this, but just let me reiterate: I'm not hoping to replace the 4" line. You can keep keep spinning your wheels on that one until the end of time for all I care. Just create another unique, high quality option for those of us who want it.

Here's the thread on GH:
    Q&A: Think Big: Big Vehicles, Big Figures, Big Television, and Other Big Ideas | Galactic Hunter

And here's a look at some 6" prototypes that were going around recently:
    San Diego Comic-Con 2011 – ThreeA Star Wars Sales Prototypes Preview Night | ActionFigurePics.com

Sound off.
    HappyNoodleBoy and fl00dsm0k3 like this.
    Trade Feedback for John_Solo
    Formerly "TheRealDub"

If Hasbro were to ever make 6" SW figures, they would be nowhere near the quality of the ThreeA figures. And that's not just because they were prototypes; ThreeA makes high-end toys, at least more high-end than anything Hasbro makes.
    Also, 6" figures aren't what they used to be. When ToyBiz handled Marvel Legends they had great sculpts and articulation. When Hasbro picked the line up, the quality dropped. And even some of the current Marvel Legends are not as detailed as their MU counterparts (Super Soldier Cap for example).
    Plus they won't have recycled molds as well as ToyBiz's countless molds at their disposal of for a SW 6" line. They'd have to start from scratch, which would mean higher prices.
    I'd be apprehensive about a Hasbro-managed 6" SW line. They goof up a lot in the main line as it is, and I don't see how it could get better if the figures were bigger.
    OOT on Blu-ray? Make it happen, Disney.

Vehicle Campaign: E-Wing Fighter

I'm not against the idea, but I would be even more choosy about what figures I buy than I am with the 4" line.

Plus, I think I can already predict what the first two years of a line like this would look like:

Year one:
    Boba Fett
    Clonetrooper
    Darth Vader
    Clonetrooper
    Darth Maul
    Clonetrooper
    Sandtrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Stormtrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Anakin Skywalker
    Clonetrooper
    Yoda
    Clonetrooper

Year two:
    Luke Skywalker (ANH)
    Clonetrooper
    Han Solo (ANH)
    Clonetrooper
    Captain Rex
    Clonetrooper
    Commander Cody
    Clonetrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Sandtrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Sandtrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Clonetrooper
    Bossk
    shazbazzar, FDOIRex, noazz and 2 others like this.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Uki
    Sub-Lieutenant

I love the idea, and have been clamoring for this exact idea for some time now. A line similar to MOTUC is what it'd take to get me back in board with Star Wars collecting.

I agree that this shouldn't replace the main line. It'd be a great sun-line; maybe 10-12 figures a year-only the true essentials would be swell!
    Boo

Not to be the negative Nancy here, but I don't want to see Hasbro's attention turned from the current line to something else. Plus looking at TCW line, their attention doesn't last long. If they start the line they would put out the usual suspects first, Luke, Han, Vader, etc. But what comes after that, how diverse does the line get? I would probably pick up some but I would rather keep Hasbro's focus where it should be at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Not to be the negative Nancy here, but I don't want to see Hasbro's attention turned from the current line to something else. Plus looking at TCW line, their attention doesn't last long. If they start the line they would put out the usual suspects first, Luke, Han, Vader, etc. But what comes after that, how diverse does the line get? I would probably pick up some but I would rather keep Hasbro's focus where it should be at the moment.
    They're a big company. The new segment would have it's own team.
    Formerly "TheRealDub"

Thanks for the pics. Those really made me rethink my opinion. I agree with Krayt that I would hate to see their attention turned away, but if this didn't take their attention away and actually made them stop doing things like choppers and those dumb new ball things, then I'd be ok with it.

The stormtrooper needs a holster, though and what would really be cool is if they could make ultimate versions where you have a stormtrooper that could be turned into a sandtrooper or at least had various weapons.
    Most wanted figures: Admiral Piett

•    
    I love the idea, but it would definitely need strong direction and focus. I'm thinking that the Clone mess that is the 4" line could be avoided at this scale, because army-building is cost prohibitive.
    When figures were $5 a pop, Hasbro couldn't seem to make enough troopers to keep people happy. At $7 they started to understand and cranked out some clones. At $10, the plain/overdone troop builders warm the pegs. At $20, I think Hasbro would keep the trooper repaints to every few waves. That, and figure output would not be near what the 4" line supports. Maybe 4 or 5 waves a year of 6 or 8 figures? It's a LOT easier to keep figure selection fresh with 30 or 40 figures a year rather than 100's.

I'd be on board for the line!

ZX3

Wasn't the initial "Unleashed" line, before it went miniature, a similar idea to this one?
    Larger scale, more detailed sculpts, more collector focused?
    That line got a few waves of main characters and then done.
    The best thing about the 3 3/4" line is its breadth and depth, from robot doctors and fish faced politicians to sith lords and jedi knights. A new 6" line won't give us that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX3 View Post
    Wasn't the initial "Unleashed" line, before it went miniature, a similar idea to this one?
    Larger scale, more detailed sculpts, more collector focused?
    That line got a few waves of main characters and then done.
    The best thing about the 3 3/4" line is its breadth and depth, from robot doctors and fish faced politicians to sith lords and jedi knights. A new 6" line won't give us that.
    No. Unleashed was a line of "extreme" statues. And it got more than a few waves - it lasted 6 years.

Rebelscum.com: Star Wars Unleashed Photo Archive

These would be action figures.

Take a look at the DC Universe Classics, Masters of the Universe Classics and Marvel Legends lines before you start worrying that this concept would lack breadth and depth. All of those lines have been able to salt the mine with plenty of obscure characters.

Especially in the case of Jedi Knights from the PT... those costumes were so epically uninspired, that once they got one body buck done, they could get a lot of mileage from it by just sculpting new heads hands (like they do in the Masters line.) I recognize the PT as a necessary evil in this venture.

Although, a 6" scale Commander Colt packed with accessories would be super duper rad.
    Last edited by John_Solo; 04-15-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Formerly "TheRealDub"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast