Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 171
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Post Editing Limitations And You

  1. #1
    Webmaster Philip_Wise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001

    Post Editing Limitations And You

    As there's been some conversation about the post editing changes, I thought I'd better define why they are there for everybody, and what we can and can't do to deal with threads that have had a need for ongoing editing.

    Fundamentally, a forum that can have its content edited and changed is not the record of posting that I wish to continue. I'm not in favor of having the ability to change history.

    This means in general posting, if you don't mean to say it, you shouldn't. If you mean to say it, you should think about it before you write it and you should write it well. If you are concerned about spelling, grammar or other mistakes, you should take advantage of the two days you have to edit your posts, or possibly think about it more as you actually write it.

    We are aware of the genuine need to edit some content, primarily in list and reference threads. It is very unfortunate there is no current way to allow us to manage editing of these threads to deal with these needs satisfactorily. We are trying very hard to understand the needs of these specific threads. There aren't a great number of these, but we know they are important, so we are looking very hard to find a way to deal with them. In the meantime, we may create new forum sections in the category sections just for these types of threads. This will mean the content needs to be in the first post (an unfortunate limitation), but at least it will be editable.

    We have also moved the maximum number of characters per post up to 100k and 250 pictures, which though very large, seems to be needed for some of them.
    Philip Wise
    Webmaster - Rebelscum.com
    Webmaster - TheForce.net
    Play nice!

  2. #2
    Grand Admiral Galen_Marek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York

    •    
    thank you for the explanation. It is something that makes sense, and much better than
    Sorry you disagree. We have discussed it and this is what we've decided. Please don't get started on what you think you should have "rights" to do here. Discussions like that only end in disaster when it comes to the internet.
    I understand the concept that members could change posts in the past, but I do hope there is a way to maintain the integrity of reference and index threads, etc. This is a great forum, and the only SW site I visit, so I hope you guys can keep it that way.
    To Ani, Han, and Jag, the luckiest men in the Galaxy

    Always looking to buy rare, unique, and interesting Padme stuff. PM me.

  3. #3
    Emperor's Hand GarvenDreis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    First a totally irrelevant comment: The title was so reminiscent of those "Your Body and You" videos they showed when I was in school.

    Really, I know people will be deceitful and they have been forever. But was it really that much of an issue here? I thought it was a very isolated issue. It does even say if someone edits things. I just didn't think there was that much trouble that would warrant such a drastic measure such as this.

    The future...the past. Old friends long gone...
    Does the Cantina interest you?

    Visit the Cantina Crazies Center! - J
    oin the Cantina Crazies Collector's Group!


  4. #4
    Emperor deathstar1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    100k character on a post?! That's insane! Never bumped into any of those.
    TK/TB/CC-5400
    Check out my Collection
    Feedback
    Join the Anime thread!

  5. #5
    Lex
    Lex is offline
    High Admiral Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Finland

    I completely understand and I agree. But does it really harm more than do good if you can edit only the first post?
    My feedback
    Save Star Wars
    "They're sh*t." - Phil Tippett on Star Wars Blu-rays

  6. #6
    High Admiral Wbobafett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Wise View Post
    ...
    We are aware of the genuine need to edit some content, primarily in list and reference threads. It is very unfortunate there is no current way to allow us to manage editing of these threads to deal with these needs satisfactorily. We are trying very hard to understand the needs of these specific threads. There aren't a great number of these, but we know they are important, so we are looking very hard to find a way to deal with them. In the meantime, we may create new forum sections in the category sections just for these types of threads. This will mean the content needs to be in the first post (an unfortunate limitation), but at least it will be editable...
    Oh thank you so much!! Sounds good for the refernce threads at least!! I hope for those corrections to be realized very soon! Thank you!

    BTW: You thought about the customizing section too?? I still think you can handle these section like the limelight section. These are longtermed threads which "limelights" your custom work!

    Thanks for the explanation too!

    Wolff

  7. #7
    High Admiral Wbobafett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Wise View Post
    We have also moved the maximum number of characters per post up to 100k and 250 pictures, which though very large, seems to be needed for some of them.
    Im not so familiar with html and stuff, so I have a question about the limitation of the pictures:

    Is it possible to only "show" 250 images or does this include links to pictures which arent shown directly in the thread??

    Ill give an example: In my case I uploaded the thumbnails here on RS, which are shown in the post! The thumbnails are linked to a picture from another hoster (because of the resolution needed). So does this count as 2 pictures or just one???

    Thank you!

  8. #8
    High Admiral Wbobafett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by deathstar1000 View Post
    100k character on a post?! That's insane! Never bumped into any of those.
    for the record: I am near 5K (4777 to be specific) and when its finished I will have 134 pictures in it (more then 100 linked).

    So Im far away from the limitations (if linked pictures dont count).

    But if you have a look at this reference guide (and I think of the need now that SydSwans have to put all his stuff into the first post) he will easily be far over the top with his pictures:
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...uide-PIC-HEAVY
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...IC-HEAVY/page4

    Roughly counted this is about 1200 pictures! A huge problem IMO for this specific and very important thread!
    Maybe stickys can be handled different too??


    In general: A lot of sections have stickys with lists above: thread index, websources etc.
    I think the same goes for these threads: editing the first post is very important to these, no matter in which section!
    Last edited by Wbobafett; 09-25-2011 at 04:12 AM.

  9. #9
    Webmaster Philip_Wise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by Wbobafett View Post
    Im not so familiar with html and stuff, so I have a question about the limitation of the pictures:

    Is it possible to only "show" 250 images or does this include links to pictures which arent shown directly in the thread??

    Ill give an example: In my case I uploaded the thumbnails here on RS, which are shown in the post! The thumbnails are linked to a picture from another hoster (because of the resolution needed). So does this count as 2 pictures or just one???

    Thank you!
    Linked pictures only count toward the character limit. (so far as I know). We'll check but I believe only pictures displaying with the "img" tag count toward the 250, and that's per post, not per thread. If it's an issue, we can raise the number.
    Philip Wise
    Webmaster - Rebelscum.com
    Webmaster - TheForce.net
    Play nice!

  10. #10
    Webmaster Philip_Wise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by Wbobafett View Post
    In general: A lot of sections have stickys with lists above: thread index, websources etc.
    I think the same goes for these threads: editing the first post is very important to these, no matter in which section!
    Agreed. This is where we have the current limitation, but we're aware and working on it.
    Philip Wise
    Webmaster - Rebelscum.com
    Webmaster - TheForce.net
    Play nice!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •