Page 103 of 110 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1094
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Y-Wing Fighter - TRU Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Looks like my brother is getting this for me for Christmas. Yay!
    Hey! Stop peeking at your Christmas presents or Santa will just take them back!
    AaylaSecurasMan and Fate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xforce View Post
    Saw the B wing at TJ maxx for $25.00 yesterday
    B-Wing Fighter - K-Mart Exclusive
    Que la Fuerza te acompaņe
    Wants:
    My Transaction Feedback
    My Trade List

Line Captain

Quote Originally Posted by AaylaSecurasMan View Post
    Saw the B-Wing at the Machesney Park, IL TJ Maxx too. The Y-Wing is still on the shelf at TRU too. I have one in red to represent red jammer, and I bought some yellow paint from the Walmart craft section and repainted it to match the full size Y-Wing prop in the hanger bay. I bought 3 different yellows at the time to try and match them to the POF2 and Gold 4 Y-Wings, and the darkest one turned out to be the best match.

So I have 4 of the 7 Y-Wings from ANH. And with Y-Wings so cheap, I picked up 3 more in case they never release versions of Gold Leader, Gold 2 and Gold 5.

kk1
    High Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Blue5 View Post
    Saw the B-Wing at the Machesney Park, IL TJ Maxx too. The Y-Wing is still on the shelf at TRU too. I have one in red to represent red jammer, and I bought some yellow paint from the Walmart craft section and repainted it to match the full size Y-Wing prop in the hanger bay. I bought 3 different yellows at the time to try and match them to the POF2 and Gold 4 Y-Wings, and the darkest one turned out to be the best match.

So I have 4 of the 7 Y-Wings from ANH. And with Y-Wings so cheap, I picked up 3 more in case they never release versions of Gold Leader, Gold 2 and Gold 5.
    7? Gold leader, Gold 2, 3 and 5, and Red Jammer, what are the other 2? Are you including Hasbro's Gold 4? What's the other one?

Line Captain

Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    7? Gold leader, Gold 2, 3 and 5, and Red Jammer, what are the other 2? Are you including Hasbro's Gold 4? What's the other one?
    I'm working on a website like the astromech one for the Battle of Yavin, summarizing all my research on the various pilots. Until that's up, here's how I break Gold Squadron down:

Gold Leader - Vander, studio scale model was hero model with TIE kill mark on nose, no Hasbro release yet

Gold 2 - Tiree, hero studio scale model with yellow panel on left side and no nacel markings, no Hasbro release yet

Gold 3 - Torsyn, unused pyro model identified as Gold 3 on vintage model kit and currently on MOM tour, POTF2 Y-Wing

Gold 4 - Lepira, no studio scale model used, Hasbro released unique Y-Wing for 30th Anniversary Collection

Gold 5 - Krail, pyro model with trangle marks on nacels, no Hasbro release yet

Gold 6 - Okand, shown getting into X-Wing in the hanger and the red colored Y-Wing model Red Jammer is unassigned so I give it to him, TVC Y-Wing

Gold 7 - Farlander, ship seen after explosion is Gold Leader model so the only model left is the full scale hangerr ship which was built using the Red Jammer model as reference, so Hasbro hasn't released it but a repaint in gold on TVC Y-Wing makes an easy custom

That's the seven birds from the Battle of Yavin accounted for by using the full scale hanger Y-Wing, the 3 heros built for ANH, the 2 known pyros built, and the Hasbro creative release of Gold 4.
    Last edited by Blue5; 12-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.

kk1
    High Admiral

Ahh OK I count the full scale hangar Y-wing as the "red Jammer" since like Blue 1 for Red 2 it was just a reference and the "repaint" is the only "real" version. I also like to think of it as the surviving Y-wing and the pilot who congratulates Luke before Han does (who has a finished helmet) is its pilot. Which Y-wing is the one that is only a cockpit sitting on the table with all the other Y-wing and X-wing models?

Line Captain

Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    Ahh OK I count the full scale hangar Y-wing as the "red Jammer" since like Blue 1 for Red 2 it was just a reference and the "repaint" is the only "real" version. I also like to think of it as the surviving Y-wing and the pilot who congratulates Luke before Han does (who has a finished helmet) is its pilot. Which Y-wing is the one that is only a cockpit sitting on the table with all the other Y-wing and X-wing models?
    Yeah, the full scale Y-wing replicated Red Jammer pretty well down to the distressed port side panel. But since their color schemes differ, I like to consider them separate birds which conveniently fills out the 7 ship Gold Squadron. The full scale Red Leader ship (later repainted for ESB and ROTJ to have Red 5 markings, even tho Luke is Rogue Leader) Doesn't match the weathering details of the Blue Leader/Red 2 ship, in fact it is actually a pretty clean ship and looks more like the Saga Red Leader X-Wing.

As for the pilot in the hanger, I've never looked at his helmet before. Which hero helmet does he have? I suppose he could be retconned to be Lucky Farlander, he does look a little like the head on the B-Wing pilot. I'm sure it's not the same extra as has been identified in ROTJ as Farlander. I'm working on a Y-Wing diorama right now and I'm using the Farlander B-Wing pilot head on an X-Wing Luke body for Gold 7. I don't have a helmet with him, because I only have the one generic helmet from Dak Raltar right now. I wonder which of the other hero helmets I could use instead based on that pilot in the hanger.

The lone Y-Wing cockpit on the table full of models is a bit of a mystery. There isn't any weathering that I can see to identify it by, but it is otherwise painted. Through process of elimination; on the table you have Gold Leader (TIE Killer hero), Gold 3 (MOM/ESB pyro), and Gold 5 (triangles pyro); so the only known Y-wing model missing is Gold 2 (blue-gray/tiger sprocket hero). (Red 5 pyro and Red 3 hero are missing too.) According to the schedule for model construction, all three hero models (Red Jammer, Gold Leader and Gold 3) were supposed to be built by the end of December 1975. But since the person scheduled to work on them was sick, and Red Jammer was partially finished before flying off to the UK, perhaps Gold Leader and Gold 2 heros were not finished until into 1976. So maybe they were already turning out pyros while they were still finishing Gold 2? There had to be at least one other pyro model made in order to produce the three Y-Wing explosions in ANH (it is possible that Gold 5 pyro had its nacelle blown off for the death of Gold 5 shot, then had it reattached to then be blown up in a fireball for either Gold Leader or Gold 2's death, leaving just one more pyro needed, otherwise there would need to be two undocumented pyro models in addition to Gold 5 and Gold 3), so it's possible the cockpit was the start of an additional Y-Wing pyro. It's quite a puzzel. What do you think kk1?

kk1
    High Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Blue5 View Post
    Yeah, the full scale Y-wing replicated Red Jammer pretty well down to the distressed port side panel. But since their color schemes differ, I like to consider them separate birds which conveniently fills out the 7 ship Gold Squadron. The full scale Red Leader ship (later repainted for ESB and ROTJ to have Red 5 markings, even tho Luke is Rogue Leader) Doesn't match the weathering details of the Blue Leader/Red 2 ship, in fact it is actually a pretty clean ship and looks more like the Saga Red Leader X-Wing.

As for the pilot in the hanger, I've never looked at his helmet before. Which hero helmet does he have? I suppose he could be retconned to be Lucky Farlander, he does look a little like the head on the B-Wing pilot. I'm sure it's not the same extra as has been identified in ROTJ as Farlander. I'm working on a Y-Wing diorama right now and I'm using the Farlander B-Wing pilot head on an X-Wing Luke body for Gold 7. I don't have a helmet with him, because I only have the one generic helmet from Dak Raltar right now. I wonder which of the other hero helmets I could use instead based on that pilot in the hanger.

The lone Y-Wing cockpit on the table full of models is a bit of a mystery. There isn't any weathering that I can see to identify it by, but it is otherwise painted. Through process of elimination; on the table you have Gold Leader (TIE Killer hero), Gold 3 (MOM/ESB pyro), and Gold 5 (triangles pyro); so the only known Y-wing model missing is Gold 2 (blue-gray/tiger sprocket hero). (Red 5 pyro and Red 3 hero are missing too.) According to the schedule for model construction, all three hero models (Red Jammer, Gold Leader and Gold 3) were supposed to be built by the end of December 1975. But since the person scheduled to work on them was sick, and Red Jammer was partially finished before flying off to the UK, perhaps Gold Leader and Gold 2 heros were not finished until into 1976. So maybe they were already turning out pyros while they were still finishing Gold 2? There had to be at least one other pyro model made in order to produce the three Y-Wing explosions in ANH (it is possible that Gold 5 pyro had its nacelle blown off for the death of Gold 5 shot, then had it reattached to then be blown up in a fireball for either Gold Leader or Gold 2's death, leaving just one more pyro needed, otherwise there would need to be two undocumented pyro models in addition to Gold 5 and Gold 3), so it's possible the cockpit was the start of an additional Y-Wing pyro. It's quite a puzzel. What do you think kk1?
    Hmm always thought the original full scale X-wing wasn't saved. Here's the pilot I'm talking about with blue symbols and stripe Garven Dreis in ESB? oh yeah Gold 2 forgot about that (don't have access to my pics at the moment). 6 y-wings is enough for me, I always see the fighters in groups of 6 it fits nice with the numbers mentioned (x's between 1 and 12 and y's between 1 and 5) and divides nicely with the number mentioned in the film, 30. So 24 x's and 6 y's total in a ratio of 12:3.

Line Captain

I didn't mean to imply that the full scale Y-wing (actually it was the cockpit back to the droid slot, and then one nacelle, not a full ship) actually still exists. I don't believe it does, it didn't show up in ESB or ROTJ. Whoa, that's a lot of pics from ESB. I'm confused, which one is the helmet you are IDing as the helmet the pilot in the hanger after the battle has? I gave it a quick look on a 27" TV last night and I thought the helmet had red insignia with some striping, but I can't be sure till I whip out the bluray version with the HD big screen.

Yes, Squadrons are traditionally 12 to 24 craft, made up of 3 to 4 flights. Two or more squadrons form a group or wing, depending on what air force or naval aviation units you use as a basis. When the term flight was coined in WWI, it applied to four craft. So Red Squadron could be made up of four flights of 3 X-wings each to match Red Leader's and Luke's flights in the trench run. But it could have also been made up of three flights of 4 X-wings in which Red Leader's flight might have included Red 4 which is why he was warning John D of the TIE on his tail, and Luke's flight may have originally been led by Red 6 which is why Biggs and Porkins make a strafing run together, leaving the other 4 unmentioned pilots off in their own flight together. For Gold Squadron, it may have been made up of a flight of three (Gold Leader's) and a flight of four (the rest), having seven operational Y-wings in the hanger they probably wouldn't want to leave one ship behind if they were running flights of three because they would want every able bird in the air for the battle, or perhaps they were running flights of 4 Y-Wings and one was damaged or lost and so Gold Leader flew his flight one short.

Unfortunately the seven pilots of Gold Squadron were established through inclusion of the four pilots seen in Y-wing cockpits in ANH, Farlander from the video games, the Decipher game wrongly including Okand in an X-wing, and Decipher's inclusion of chair flying Lepira as Gold 4 and Hasbro reinforcing that with his own Y-wing. I've seen 32 ships as the group/wing strength elsewhere, which with the 12 X-wing Red squadron from The Essential Guide to Warfare, that leaves 13 ships for blue and green squadrons, which is another oddball amount. There are 13 other pilots which include the 4 from Rebel Assault blue squadron and additional expanded universe characters, which might be where the 32 pilots number comes from.
    Last edited by Blue5; 12-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.

kk1
    High Admiral

Post #15 in that thread, and I keep it simple and throw all that EU crap out the window(too inconsistent with what we actually see in the movie imo). I just go by what's on screen, 30 fighters that were grouped 3 together and we see most of the call numbers from 1-12 x's and 1-6 y's. Those all match up neatly with the models made by ILM for the most part while still leaving a couple ships, droids, and pilots to use your own imagination and creativity on. Now that I have some time hopefully I can put together my own take on Red 7,8,9 and 11(wish I could find pics of the RED 3 pyros aka blue 3 unique paint job, that could be used for one of them) I have custom droids for all the ships that don't already have one, now I just need to design some helmets and paint jobs for the X-wings as what the EU has done so far is pretty boring imo (generic blue helmets for every made up pilot etc.) Hope to see some others takes on them too, are you going to try?