Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Official Craigslist Absurdity Thread

Re: Official Craigslist Absurdity Thread

Strikeofthebeast-- You are SO right! Most toy or collectible shows are just that...guys SHOWING their inventory, and not budging an inch on their inflated prices. When any of them turn down my reasonable offer, I just say "Thanks for SHOWING your toys today! Have fun packing them up and taking them home again!" Occasionally you can even see the concern on their faces.
    I'm not a cranky old man, but I play one on the internet.

Lieutenant

There is a local toy shop here that does a parking lot sale now and then, and there's definitely that element there. Don't get me wrong, there's usually a few good deals to be had there, but also more and more I notice people that bring the same overpriced stuff every time, won't budge on the price, and then complain how they don't sell anything.

On the craigslist tip, I love when sellers refer to eBay for prices. What they seem to forget is that on eBay, the pool of potential buyers includes people throughout the country, if not the world. On craigslist, it's a very local market. If you want eBay prices, sell your stuff on eBay, not CL.

This is the best one I've seen in awhile, those crazy hippies always pushing the boundaries of absurdity

I sure hope that's a DT Vader for that price.....
    Feedback
    WTB: Leia Boushh & Rebo Band Pre-Production

Commander

WOW a retractable light saber? That's got to be worth something.

Another thing I hate about CL? The attitudes of some of the people. I believe most of them are imbeciles who are too stupid and lazy to do eBay, so they use Craigslist instead.

I remember one calling me after I posted a wanted ad for vintage toys. When I said "Hello?", the first thing out of his mouth was this:

"first thing is first. I don't like dealing with people off craigslist. Got it? OK, now that's out of the way".

...and then he was pressuring me to show up to his "warehouse" that was load with stuff.

"don't bring $10, don't bring $20. You show up him with $20, I won't even let ya in! Show up with a couple of hundred and I promise you, you will walk away with thousands to flip".

He sounded like a mafia boss. I hung up on him after awhile.

Then one [censored] woman contacted me. I bought some MOTU and Thundercats stuff off her for $30, but I regret that now because of her attitude. When I made the offer, she said "yeah, yeah fine...I don't have time for this [censored] today".

Didn't even thank me...

Then of course there was the guy who called me at 2:00AM to tell me he had a "Christopher Reeves in a wheelchair" figure (with giggling in the back).

I went to a comic/toy show this weekend. I was able to talk down 5 sellers and walked away with a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff for about 70 bucks. Knowledge is your best friend.
    Sometimes I think to myself, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...
    And then it hits me.

Commander

I wish there were some good toy shows around here.

When I first started collecting vintage Star Wars in the early 90s, there was a great one held in a church. It was called the "Toy Solider Show", I believe and it was in Elmont for those from Long Island, New York.

Maybe someday I'll host my own, I have no clue how to go about it.

Anyway, nothing around here anymore except a pretty cool Antique Mall type thing with a new dealer who has some great vintage Star Wars stuff.

There are also Estate Sales, but I HATE those with every grain of my soul.

I posted a while back about how I woke up crack of dawn to go to one, but was beaten out on a bunch of SW, GI Joe, Mego and vintage 70s/80s stuff. Well the people hosting that show now have their own TV show on TruTv, "Big Brian the Fortune Seller". God, do I hate it.

Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by strikeofthebeast
    WOW a retractable light saber? That's got to be worth something.

Another thing I hate about CL? The attitudes of some of the people. I believe most of them are imbeciles who are too stupid and lazy to do eBay, so they use Craigslist instead.

I remember one calling me after I posted a wanted ad for vintage toys. When I said "Hello?", the first thing out of his mouth was this:

"first thing is first. I don't like dealing with people off craigslist. Got it? OK, now that's out of the way".

...and then he was pressuring me to show up to his "warehouse" that was load with stuff.

"don't bring $10, don't bring $20. You show up him with $20, I won't even let ya in! Show up with a couple of hundred and I promise you, you will walk away with thousands to flip".

He sounded like a mafia boss. I hung up on him after awhile.

Then one [censored] woman contacted me. I bought some MOTU and Thundercats stuff off her for $30, but I regret that now because of her attitude. When I made the offer, she said "yeah, yeah fine...I don't have time for this [censored] today".

Didn't even thank me...

Then of course there was the guy who called me at 2:00AM to tell me he had a "Christopher Reeves in a wheelchair" figure (with giggling in the back).
    Oh never put your phone number on a Craigslist ad LOL thats a big no-no

Beat me to the punch. At first I thought "maybe he added an extra zero on accident". Then I thought "even if he did, it's still too much".

Quote Originally Posted by rupert
    This is the best one I've seen in awhile, those crazy hippies always pushing the boundaries of absurdity

I sure hope that's a DT Vader for that price.....

Admiral

Maybe not... see the Han Hoth? I think it's a Molded Pants Plus the figures look pretty nice. I'd easily pay 200$ for this lot. Flips easily for 300-400$.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast