Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke in Robes discovery?

Luke in Robes discovery?

Ok, so I'm looking through Stephane's Meccano book and I notice something interesting. On page 107, there is a catalog picture of new ROTJ figures. This is the picture usually cited showing the black caped Squidhead.

But I was looking at it and noticed the Luke Jedi figure. The picture clearly shows a cloak on him like the production figure, but a completely different figure underneath. THis looks like it might be a Ben Kenobi, but the face looks more like a Luke figure. So I pull of pics of the Luke in Robes and notice something else. Look at the figures right leg. The Luke in Robe has this swoosh of material on the right leg that makes this catalog picture look more like this figure than the Ben figure. See how the right leg "hem" is higher than the left leg? THe kenobi figure is not like that.

Can anyone who might have this catalog make a decent sized scan of that figure?

Could this be a mystery solved? Comments?

Cj
    WTB: Palitoy ESB Han Hoth, PBP Han Hoth (ESB & ROTJ)
    WTS: Rocket Firing Fett Missile. L and J slot available

Vintage Toy Archive: http://www.12back.com

Re: Luke in Robes discovery?

That's most defenitly a Luke in robe!

Look at the pictures:

1) Luke in Meccano book
    2) Ben Kenobi
    3) Luke in Robe from TRG site

Fantastic discovery! So, no POTF after all!

Plus, it's red and painted!

-Alex

Holy crap!! This is huge. Great eye, CJ.

Now, the question is, what's the story? I know there's an alternate sculpt of Luke Jedi and that was much stiffer than the one released. Could this be an even earlier attempt at Luke Jedi? Is it possible this is another blue Snag in that Kenner didn't have good visuals yet?

John
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com My PMs are full so please don't use.

It looks like the Luke in robes to me!

Good eyes Chris!
    Coming Soon:
    The Comprehensive Guide to Kenner's Micro Collection
    Keep Checking Microrob.com for more info.

Great find in a great book. Yet another reason that I am so glad to Stephane produced it.

It should be said that despite the great scan from AJ, the color does not come through that well. In the book, it is suprisingly red.

So, what is the probable origin of this photo? Kenner, Palitoy, Meccano? I assume not Meccano, as it says "Luke" and not the usual "Luc." If it is Kenner, why is it only found here?
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive Vintage Podcast:
    Now in its 8th Season and 6th Year WAMPA WAMPA!!!
    (A Chewbacca Collection The Chewseum)

Great work! That's awesome!
    Currently looking for Ewoks Preschool and Plush items including protos, proofs, artwork, etc.
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_van_Zelst

Fantastic discovery! So, no POTF after all!

Yeah, I've seen indications where it was a "Revenge" figure which meant it was early, not later.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_van_Zelst

Plus, it's red and painted!

I believe that's the color scheme on the design drawing that Lisa & Vic have in their collection. Which I don't have a photo of that's handy. It was always pretty close, but not quite dead-on with the figure. At least that's what I used to think.

Good eye, Cj! It's incredible to see it in released literature like that.

-chris
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Wow CJ - sharp eyes!

This got me thinking though, does the evidence point towards the possibility (or probability ?) that this piece was in France at some stage? (I'm thinking along the lines of the Speeder Bike model that had obviously clocked up some serious airmiles!)

Anyone know the names of the Meccano marketing staff in 1983?

Cheers,
    Christian.
    GW Acrylic Ltd: Display Cases for Collectors
    www.gwacrylic.co.uk
    Stock available Worldwide: UK/EU via sales@gwacrylic.co.uk USA & R.o.W: sales@gwacrylic.com

Kudos CJ!

So how many of this figure have surfaced so far, just the one in Gus's collection?

That is a cool find!

Here is a custom Luke In Robes figure...

Always looking for prototype CommTech items and unproduced figures.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast