Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLOOD DAMAGE leads to CUSTOMIZING BOXES!!

FLOOD DAMAGE leads to CUSTOMIZING BOXES!!

Hi Gang!

Some days it just doesn’t pay to get outta bed!

My STAR WARS toy collection is located on most of the second floor of my home.

I came home one night about 3 months ago and found that my kitchen (located on the 1st floor) had become a virtual swimming pool due to a ruptured waterpipe up on the third floor.

The water leaked through the second floor ceiling (flooding my STAR WARS Collection room), and through the first floor ceiling to flood the kitchen. There was SEVERE damage along the way.

For me the MOST heartbreaking damage was to my STAR WARS toy collection on the second floor!!

Boxed VINTAGE Kenner collectibles as well as MODERN Hasbro pieces were completely WATER-LOGGED!!!

The toys themselves were (for the most part) un-damaged. But the packaging for these collectibles were reduced to useless soggy lumps of cardboard!!!

My friends, I don’t mind telling you, I [censored]-near broke into tears.

Nearly 30 years of collecting just... soggy.

I immediately decided to create NEW PACKAGING for all of the (newly) loose toys.

And in the SPIRIT of customizing, I decided to create my own CUSTOM GRAPHICS for these boxes using photos of my custom action figures, and photos of the actual loose toys composited in PHOTOSHOP.

I also decided to base the STYLE of my packaging on Kenner’s VINTAGE boxes.

You see, I really don’t care for the flimsy modern “window” boxes that present the toy in a “posed” state.

Call me “old School”, but I prefer the packaged toy to be contained in a windowless box protected from damaging sunlight. And the box should have exciting, colorful graphics.

Now, before anyone asks, I am NOT offering these custom boxes for sale. I have only created them for my own personal collection.

In some cases, the photography work for these boxes is my own. But in many cases, I have downloaded photos from throughout the web and from the Rebelscum toy archives to create these.

Therefore, it would simply be un-ethical for me to profit from the work of others. So I will NOT do it. Please do not ask. I hope you understand.

Without further ado, here are my custom box designs so far…

Roberto DARKLORD Williams

Re: FLOOD DAMAGE leads to CUSTOMIZING BOXES!!

12-BACK ACTION FIGURE CARDS

I actually created this card back months ago as an experiment. I was curious to see what a vintage KENNER Star Wars 12-back card would look like with photos my own custom action figures replacing the main 12 character line-up.

Of course I could not leave out Boba Fett, so this became a “13-Back”

Photo Credits:

Hasbro photography: (X-Wing Fighter)
    Rebelscum Toy Archives: (Tie Fighter, Dewback , Darth Vader Tie Fighter, Tusken Raider, C-3PO, R2-D2, Stormtrooper, Jawa)
    Roberto Williams: Custom Action Figures

LANDSPEEDER

When Hasbro released the AWESOME Saga Landspeeder with Luke Skywalker about three years ago, I saw no reason to keep the previous versions of Luke’s speeder in my collection. I sold them off.

However, for reasons of nostalgia, I will ALWAYS fondly remember my Vintage Kenner Landspeeder’s BOX design.

While replacing the damaged box for my Saga Landspeeder, I created a windowless box that pays homage to the vintage Kenner days.

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Landspeeder, Luke Skywalker)

X-WING FIGHTER

With the release of the Power FX X-Wing Fighter from 1998, I got rid of the “dinky” out of scale X-Wings from the Vintage Kenner and early Hasbro releases.

And with every subsequent release of the NEW X-Wing design (Red Leader’s X-Wing, Dagobah X-Wing, and now Luke’s Skywalker’s X-Wing) I always made sure to pick up a few.

Now my Rebel squadron is 30 X-Wings strong.

For the X-Wings whose packagings were damaged in the flood, I created window-less box designs in the rough dimensions of the Red Leader X-Wing package.

Photo Credits:
    Hasbro photography (X-Wing Fighter)
    Rebelscum toy archive (Tie Fighter)
    Lucasfilm LTD (Death Star)

RADIO CONTROLED JAWA SANDCRAWLER

I must confess that the box for my Radio Controlled Jawa Sandcrawler was NOT damaged in the flood.

However, from the day I bought it back in 1979, the box was in VERY rough shape.

Furthermore, I never cared for Kenner’s package design for this toy. I thought it was very clumsy the way the toy seemed to be cut off along the top of the photo by the extended arm holding the remote control and by the STAR WARS logo.

I took this opportunity to make a new customized box design.

Photo Credits: Rebelscum toy archives (Sandcrawler)

IMPERIAL TROOP TRANSPORTER

When I saw the extent of the water damage to the box of my vintage Kenner Imperial Troop Transporter, I was CERTAIN that the toy was history.

But I was lucky.

The electronics actually still work!!

Here’s my go at a new box design:

Photo Credits : Rebelscum Toy archives: Troop Transport, Stormtrooper, Dewbacks

CREATURE CANTINA ACTION PLAYSET

This toy was a birthday gift to myself back in 1979 when I turned 12.

I’ve always loved the toy, so I was heartbroken when the box was damaged in the flood.

Fortunately, the cardboard backdrop for this toy survived un-scathed!

In fact, I used the actual toy to take the photo for this package design!

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Cantina Playset, Custom Action Figures)
    Rebelscum Toy Archives (Various action figures)

VEHICLE MAINTENANCE ENERGIZER

Now here’s one group of boxes I was HAPPY to re-design!

I have about six or seven of these VME’s mint in their box for my Rebel Base personel.

ALL of the boxes were damaged in the flood.

Now seeing as these machines ONLY appeared in A New Hope, and seeing as the Kenner box design was beyond silly, a new box design was in order.

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Vehicle Maintenance Energizer)
    Rebelscum Toy archives: (Dutch Vander Action figure)
    Hasbro Photo: (Background)

DEATH STAR SPACE STATION

As of last night, I now own 3 of these AWESOME playsets MINT and COMPLETE.

I actually did some minor customizing to the playsets themselves by giving them updated customized stickers (downloaded off the web) and by doing some minor Photoshop work on the cardboard wall inserts and then printing new ones.

I photographed one of my assembled Death Stars, and then “populated” the photo (via Photoshop) with my custom figures and others.

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Death Star Space Station Playset , Various Custom Action Figures)
    Rebelscum Toy Archives (Stormtrooper , C-3PO, and R2-D2 Action Figures)

TWIN-POD CLOUD CAR

Here’s a box design I created as two VARIANTS, because I could not decide which one I liked the best.

Photo Credits:

Rebelscum Toy Archives: (Twin Pod Cloud Car, Pilots)
    Lucasfilm LTD: (Backgrounds)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast