Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Cards Inc ?

The Future of Cards Inc ?

It appears that the future of Cards Inc, the company putting on next years Celebration Europe, is somewhat difficult to predict at this time, as it would appear that they are currently subject to a take over bid from none other than Corgi International.

Corgi it seems are also in the running to buy Master Replicas too.

But what does this mean for Celebration Europe ?

Re: The Future of Cards Inc ?

hopefully nothing i cant see it being cancelled or anything stupid
    When the face is a prune, action goes boom, PRUNE FACE!

Nor can I Matt, I just see it as Corgi buying their way into the Star Wars market.

But it may also provide the show with a huge corporate sponsor

If anything, it's a good thing for Cards Inc. and us (in relation to CE) as I just think it means more money available and security. I agree that I think it's more Corgi wanting to tap into the Star Wars and film/comic merchandise arena.

Wanting to merge with MR is a slightly different thing though. May mean just a name change but personally I think they should let them just get on with it seeming as they do a great job as it is.

Actually Corgi is small, REALLY small in todays standards.

They have been downsizing for a long time and have only a small design studio in Leicester, which is their only presence in Europe now as all other offices have closed down. Their main HQ is in Boston or Chigago I think, but even with an established name like Corgi, they are considerably smaller in size and turnover compared to Hasbro now and as a result, I don't think their weight would add any extra funding or development muscle to what's being proposed.

Having them come in can work for and against the event, on the plus side Corgi do work effectivley with film licences and do a good job historically with Bond, but my biggest worry would be a company getting involvrd with the event where they have no connection or experience.

Corgi have a HQ in Hong-Kong and own another manufacturing company too, so they aren't huge but bigger then you may think and given that they are still a limited company whos policy is to always invest into products and not shareholders, I think it's a pretty good deal for all concerned.

I'm pretty sure they'll have little to no involvement with CE, mainly because it isn't just Cards inc. involved with that. I imagine this take-over has been on the cards for a while and I'm sure Lucasfilm would have been made aware of it too. So if they're happy then I don't think any problems will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by threedarths
    they are currently subject to a take over bid from none other than Corgi International.
    Where did you hear that? It is surprising and worrying.

Jeremy
    Staff Reporter: LEGO & AU/NZ Collecting News
    Moderator: LEGO & LEGO: Classifieds

For Sale:
    LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary Archive Sale
    For Fun: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary Archive Gallery
    For Feedback: Jeremy = AOK

When the face is a prune, action goes boom, PRUNE FACE!

TFN has posted the same article.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman81
    Corgi have a HQ in Hong-Kong and own another manufacturing company too, so they aren't huge but bigger then you may think
    Matt, don't confuse manufacturing partners, Original Equipment Manufacturers, Original Design Manufacturers or Electronic Manufacturing Services as part of the same company, they are not. They are independant third parties tied in by strategic volume charters to produce products for for their client and other companies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast