Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The IKEA display thread

The IKEA display thread

With D*C around the corner, I was planning on calling IKEA in the next day or two to check on availablility for the Detolf case. However I thought a new IKEA thread would be beneficial to myself and others that are driving down to Atlanta for the weekend.

For starters, here are a few old threads with tons of information in them:
    Skogen case
    John's plea ... Detolf case
    Shelf safety notice
    And...The IKEA glass case page

There are a couple of reasons for starting this new thread. For starters, I'd really like to hear recommendations from people regarding buying the Skogen or Detolf cases. Skye shared a pretty cool pic of his setup, but I would really like to see a close-up of the Detolfs pushed together. How large is the gap between them? Dean recommended painting them first, but does anyone else have any other recommendations? I like the Billy case that a lot of people use but I hate the fact that you can't see that much when the doors are closed. Anyone know of any other case that's not on the website, but is worth asking about?

Any advice is appreciated !

-Timothy

Re: The IKEA display thread

here's a thread from the GG page. NOTE the KODAL night stand that one Scummer is using as a perfect base for the DETOLF. I'm gonna be picking up one of these this week, and I'll post a few pics by the weekend. I think this base is a great idea because it not only raises the case off the floor just a bit, but it will probably give the DETOLF a little more stability too.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfla...part=1#1870008

KAR
    "You just watch yourself, we're wanted men! I have the death sentence on twelve systems!"

I'll chime in here with a couple of photos. I too liked the Billy cabinet, but there were no doors for them that I liked. They all had too big a frame around the glass. That's changed with the latest catalogue. Yeah, I know the cabinet has loose neo figures in it, but you get the idea:

I bought glass shelves to replace the regular pressboard ones (except the fixed middle one), and the fancy LED lights to go up either side. They work really well, as the case isn't nearly as bright in real life as it is in that photo using a flash. FYI the doors aren't cheap, at $70 CAD each, but they do rock.

To keep it a bit more vintage, here are my newly rearranged Bertby cases. Yeah there are a few holes for variations, but I'm getting close to completion:

Hope this helps a little bit.

Mark

Hi Timothy,
    I've two of them and they are perfect for display.

They are the new home of my LXW.

Giacomo

I intentionally left a wider gap between my display cases. But considering there's about a half inch lip of wood around the border or the case, you're looking about an inch gap when they're pressed together

Got a vintage question? have you read The FAQ?

I am a huge Deltof fan, though I am changing my Ikea design style with my next move. I just got two billys, but instead of wood shelves, I bought glass shelves. I'm going to drill a hole in the middle plank (which has to be wood) and the top in order to put their little halogen lights. So, light will filter through much easier.

Then I got the Billy Extenxion unit to add one more level, with a bookshelf light for that section.

I know that the lights are bad, but I'm only going to have them on for a maximum of ten minutes a week. If that destroys them, well so be it.

I'll post pictures of my new display when it is up, but I have a long way to go.

The problem with Deltof is if you are mainly planning on displaying MOC, it is not too practical. It is better to use a bookshelf which is not as deep or boxy. At least, I hope that will be the case.
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive Vintage Podcast:
    Now in its 8th Season and 6th Year WAMPA WAMPA!!!
    (A Chewbacca Collection The Chewseum)

I'm a big 'Billy' fan... here are some photos of my computer room... 7 billy's, 2 end caps and a corner section.

I plan on adding 8 Berby's in the hallway entering my computer room to display my 12/20/21 back carded run and hopefully a complete set of AFA U90 loose figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneda_01
    I'm a big 'Billy' fan... here are some photos of my computer room... 7 billy's, 2 end caps and a corner section.

I plan on adding 8 Berby's in the hallway entering my computer room to display my 12/20/21 back carded run and hopefully a complete set of AFA U90 loose figures.
    Wow Kaneda 01! I'm impressed. I love your clean professional display. It looks like you put a lot of work into it and it paid off. It looks real fun to hang out in there.

KiAdiRandy, thanks for linking to that thread. I was planning on painting the Detolf case black but after seeing that silver one I'm not sure now. Again, thanks for the link .

Quote Originally Posted by Boba_Fish
    I too liked the Billy cabinet, but there were no doors for them that I liked. They all had too big a frame around the glass. That's changed with the latest catalogue.
    <snip>
    I bought glass shelves to replace the regular pressboard ones (except the fixed middle one), and the fancy LED lights to go up either side. They work really well, as the case isn't nearly as bright in real life as it is in that photo using a flash. FYI the doors aren't cheap, at $70 CAD each, but they do rock.

The thick door frames are the exact reason I didn't like the Billy cases. I just checked the website again and I didn't see the thin framed doors as an option online. Did you purchse the doors and lights at IKEA as well? The standard Billy case is $99 and the one with the thicker door frames is available for $179. If you don't mind me asking, how much did yours cost Mark? Was it priced at $99 plus $140 for the doors plus lighting? I'm curious :^).

Thanks for the input thus far everyone .

-Timothy

I'm going to move this over to the limelighting and display section as it falls under various display techniques and is showcasing a variety of great displays.
    Shane Turgeon
    Author: The Force in the Flesh
    www.theforceintheflesh.com
    www.tattoosandtoys.com

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast