Thread: X-Wing sound and light/electronics fix?

X-Wing sound and light/electronics fix?

Well, I tried searching the forums to no avail, I have a vintage X-Wing with no working sound and a flickering light. There's no corrosion in the battery contacts, which appear to be working fine. My question is, does anyone know how to 'fix' this, or anywhere online someone has posted repair advice? I'm assuming I'll need to take off the back panel somehow....
    Looking for MOC 20/21 back R5-D4, Greedo, Snaggletooth, Walrus Man, Hammerhead, and Boba Fett in C8 or better condition!

Re: X-Wing sound and light/electronics fix?

So, first I would try switching the battery configuration, + for -, if you have them in backwards sometimes only the light will work.
    If that isn't the issue, your engine may be "stuck". It seems to me that if there are no wire, connection, or corrosion problems, a lot of these Kenner engines that make the sound effects, just seem to stick in place. This has happened a few times to me with my vintage X wing. The only remedy, and I suggest this with GREAT caution, is to open up your ship and, with the batteries in connection giving power to the light, gently nudge the gear (the one that hits the plastic filament that makes the noise) and it should spring back to life. It may take a couple of tries, with the batteries still connected. Seriously, I have done this several times with my X wing and a couple of TIE fighters, and it does work but the X is really hard to take apart, and the springs on the TIE fighters are a real nuisance to get back in place. PM me with your email addy and I will hit you back with detailed intructions if you want.

Sometimes the teeth on that gear break and then the gear sticks in place when it rotates to that point. I think moving the geara bit to "unstick" it has saved a couple of my ships.
    When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying here you throw this away. -Mitch Hedburg

Any one know what to do about wings that don't lock in place? I've got one with that problem.
    -Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Boba_Phat
    Well, I tried searching the forums to no avail, I have a vintage X-Wing with no working sound and a flickering light. There's no corrosion in the battery contacts, which appear to be working fine. My question is, does anyone know how to 'fix' this, or anywhere online someone has posted repair advice? I'm assuming I'll need to take off the back panel somehow....
    Open up the ship, and hit the motor with a little bit of WD-40. It really charges it up and lubricates it. It is a miracle chemical!
    Looking for: Original 12 inch Tusken Raider clothes/accessories an Gaff Coin!

Quote Originally Posted by misterbroke
    Any one know what to do about wings that don't lock in place? I've got one with that problem.
    I had a ship like this once and it was because the lip on the R2 head that catches the wings had worn out. I opened the ship, reversed R2 in his socket to put the unused side towards the wing catch and it fixed it.

Not the best of instructions but it's a simple mechanism and if you open the X-Wing up you'll probably see what's causing the problem.

E...
    Eric Franks
    "I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"
    Trade Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by efranks
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbroke
    I had a ship like this once and it was because the lip on the R2 head that catches the wings had worn out. I opened the ship, reversed R2 in his socket to put the unused side towards the wing catch and it fixed it.

Not the best of instructions but it's a simple mechanism and if you open the X-Wing up you'll probably see what's causing the problem.

E...
    That worked perfectly, many thanks.
    -Thomas