Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's Walrus Man custom

Alex\'s Walrus Man custom

For a long time, I've been obsessed by the original paint scheme for Walrus Man back in the 70's. In his first appearance, he looked like this:

Here's a blowup with him right side up:

Even on the old 24-figure vinyl case art, he looked like this (although I tweaked the image in the computer to give him more distinct eyes):

So I took a couple of spare Walrus Men, and set out to make this early paint scheme version as a custom. I first tried to mask off the head, but later had to strip off the spray-painted orange because of some bubbling issues across the belly. For this second attempt, I removed the original head (l) prior to beginning. This will also allow me to substitute the head (r) of a previous Walrus Man custom of mine who got a hand-painted touchup of the eyes and tusks. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

And here's the body spray-painted grey primer:

Tomorrow, I'll do the orange base coat.

Alex
    "Hi, I'm Alex from Imperial Insurance."
    "Hey... don't you work for the Endor Express?"
    "I'm a man of many talents."
    -- The penultimate installment of Yak's Pub

Re: Alex\'s Walrus Man custom

When I painted this figure some years ago, I made the eyes solid black. I thought it looked better and was more accurate than the yellow and black.
    When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying here you throw this away. -Mitch Hedburg

Yes, well spotted! The eyes of the prototype ARE solid black, which was on my list of topics to address. I'm also considering giving him interchangeable heads to see which looks best.

In the meantime, I stumbled across an even better reference pic. This is from a German toy catalogue, though I've removed the text and cropped the image. (Check out the head on R5-D4 and the Fisher-Price Adventure People X-wing Pilot mockup!)

And here's a blowup of just Walrus Man:

After this one, I may just have to tackle the additional details on Greedo.

Progress report: the headless Walrus Man is now almost completely orange. He just needs a touchup on his shoulders once the sun comes back out.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by New_Bornalex
    Yes, well spotted! The eyes of the prototype ARE solid black, which was on my list of topics to address. I'm also considering giving him interchangeable heads to see which looks best.

In the meantime, I stumbled across an even better reference pic. This is from a German toy catalogue, though I've removed the text and cropped the image. (Check out the head on R5-D4 and the Fisher-Price Adventure People X-wing Pilot mockup!)

After this one, I may just have to tackle the additional details on Greedo.

Progress report: the headless Walrus Man is now almost completely orange. He just needs a touchup on his shoulders once the sun comes back out.

Alex
    Oh man I've seen that before and totally forgot about it. i love the death star droid there. it's a C-3PO body with some kind of bug head. and that power droid is all wrong too. man that's a great pic. I think the blue on Greedo really makes him pop. I've always thought that the orange and blue walrusman was hideous, so was all excited when I found that pic to repaint him with. Although if Luke X-Wing had been that figure he would've replaced Walrusman as being the one I considered hideous. lol
    When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying here you throw this away. -Mitch Hedburg

I'm thankful now that I *did* remove the head prior to painting, because it wasn't until this new pic that I noticed the dark area at the inside of the collar. That will be easier to paint without the noggin in the way.

Alex

Cool custom idea Alex. I like that design on him too, really a vintage feel to the original color scheme, moreso than just about any other vintage figure.

Re: Alex\'s Prototype Walrus Man custom

Well the figure is completely orange now. I managed to give him a touchup coat just before I left to do some more moving. (I closed the deal on the house yesterday, but the new owner wants to begin gutting the rotted windows this weekend if possible, and I've got a lot of crap still in that house! Yesterday was an all-day marathon of moving, and today and tomorrow look like more of same.)

Another thought on Proto Walrus Man's eyes being black... doesn't it kinda look like the WHOLE HEAD is black? The production head is, what, kinda green? But the Proto looks gloss black.

Alex

Is this project going to be like your Cloud Car revision? I really liked how you kept posting updates, showing the steady progress in the improvements you made on the Vintage mold.
    From the looks of it, we're gonna witness another great project
    Check out my handy worksheet file, listing every 1/18th release from 1978 till 2017
    Easily filtered on source, line, type, product, character name and species, updated till 10-8-2017
    http://www.filedropper.com/starwars18thscaledatabase

Quote Originally Posted by Rushie
    Is this project going to be like your Cloud Car revision? I really liked how you kept posting updates
    Ask and ye shall receive!

It's funny that the Cloud Car project pops to mind on this one. This concept of revisiting the Proto Walrus Man (I tried a hand-painted approach many years ago) stemmed from the fact that I had several cans of orange and brown spray-paint on hand, from doing the Cloud Cars!

As you can see in this pic, Wally is now completely orange...

...even the bottom part of the torso which is only visible if the legs are in a seated position.

Which actually, makes me realize that it won't be quite as simple as I thought to paint the trousers brown. Hmmm. I'll have to mask off the legs entirely, in the seated position, apply brown to his seat, allow to dry, then mask the entire torso and the top part of the legs. Oh well. Glad I thought of it now.

And here's a fun shot of the orange headless Walrus Man doing pushups.

Actually, this is one of several positions that I put the figures in as I apply spray-paint. I generally begin with the figure on all fours, butt up in the air. Then other positions will follow, each receiving a light coat, with the limbs in varying positions, until all surfaces are coated.

That's all for this update, thanks for your interest!

Alex

Personally, I love this project, but then again I'm somewhat biased towards the vintage figs.

I like how it's coming along and look forward to the updates.

As for the head, I would avoid a gloss head, but maybe a semi-gloss. It sure doesn't appear matt-black.
    "Giggidy-Giggidy-Gone!" - Quagmire
    "Right you are, Ken" - Vic Romano (MXC)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast