Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Poon's Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Well, I hope this hasn't been hashed out here already (or maybe should be in "customs" section), but I thought I'd just high-light Mark Poon's latest creation from the Isle of Singapore !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...985652650&rd=1

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
    <font color="blue"> You are bidding for a custom vintage Star Wars Droids Brazilian Glasslite Vlix.
    Vlix represents an obscure character from the short-lived Droids cartoon series & is the rarest of all Star Wars figures to be commercially released. In the States, it was scheduled for release in Kenner's 2nd series of Droids action figures, but, due to the cancellation of the show, it was never issued. Vlix was only released in Brazil by Glasslite in 1988 & very few are known to exist.

This Vlix is pressure cast from an original Brazilian Glasslite Vlix in colored plastic, fully articulated & airbrushed by a modeler. Like the original figure, the head is cast in light green & the rest of the body in blue color. It comes complete with a black rifle (cast from an original Hoth Stormtrooper rifle). All mold lines have been skillfully removed from the master copy before the mold is made so the figure is extremely well cast.

Since the cost and rarity of an original Vlix keeps it out of most collectors’ hands, this custom vintage Star Wars Droids Brazilian Glasslite Vlix will be a great addition to any Star Wars toy collection! Do not hesitate to email me at poonwk@cyberway.com.sg if you have any questions or if you need detail pictures of this item & I'll gladly respond to your queries within 12 hours. Winner agrees to pay USD$10.00 for air-mail shipping anywhere in the world & insurance is optional at USD$3.00. I accept payments via Paypal or Cash sent via registered mail. Please check out our exciting range of Star Wars and Indiana Jones collectibles at eBay! Happy bidding and good luck!

</font>

[/QUOTE]

I'm certain this is a legimate auction, so don't fret if I "outed" your find, I'm sure he'll have more available than just this one.

Curious for those out there who own one of Ryan's (Bantha5) recent Vlix figures--the face spots/red doesn't look airbrushed (sprayed, masked?), so I still think Ryan's is a better paint job--but what about the molding? Is it from Ryan's recent (last year) copy? If so, would it be a little shorter? Would this be perceptable?

Finally, please DO NOT SLAM MARK or rail on about how "he" is ruining the hobby. Bantha5 did a short run of these last year and I don't remember ANYBODY getting upset. Maybe it was b/c of the fact that he only made like 6 of them (okay, maybe 20), but probably b/c everybody is always impressed by his customizing skills, wax pen skills, dremmeling skills, airbrush skills, you know--skills!

Also, this is not a paid announcement from the Mark Poon Fan Club, however, I did order a custom carded Fett from him last year and it included a sticker that said "reproduction" clearly attached inside the bubble (just like he said it would).

So, what do you guys/girls think? Is it as good as Ryan's? I'd love to see them side-by-side, so if anybody has Ryan's and want's another, please post here.

P'DJ

PS: I'm in Cincy now, so here's a shout-out to all the members of the OSWCC (of which I am not yet a member)! Yo !
    "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." (4th U.S. President, James Madison, Jr., 1751-1836)

Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Man, I'd like to have one of these myself. I wonder how much he would charge for one straight out. That is one awesome custom.
    "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine

Mark's custom Vlixs are very impressive, both in design and quality. I've heard that he's working on a carded version too which should make for a very cool custom!

Quote Originally Posted by Po_DeadJawa
    Curious for those out there who own one of Ryan's (Bantha5) recent Vlix figures--the face spots/red doesn't look airbrushed (sprayed, masked?), so I still think Ryan's is a better paint job--but what about the molding? Is it from Ryan's recent (last year) copy? If so, would it be a little shorter? Would this be perceptable?

Finally, please DO NOT SLAM MARK or rail on about how "he" is ruining the hobby. Bantha5 did a short run of these last year and I don't remember ANYBODY getting upset. Maybe it was b/c of the fact that he only made like 6 of them (okay, maybe 20), but probably b/c everybody is always impressed by his customizing skills, wax pen skills, dremmeling skills, airbrush skills, you know--skills!
    I have never dealt with Mark so i have no beef with him. As for this mold, I have no clue if it is cast from Ryans custom or not. I will say that I do own a custom Vlix from Ryan and after looking at these pics and holding my custom next to them, the coloring on Ryans is better. The mold or shape looks similar but I cant really tell having nothing to gauge size on with the photos from that auction.

Your comments on Ryans abilities are spot on except for one thing. No one had an issue with his customs because he MARKED EVERY ONE AS A CUSTOM. There is no way his would be viewed as a real one with a quick glance at figure. I see nothing on that one in the auction that is cut/molded/etched into its body that states its a custom. Therefore it is NOT good for the hobby. Period. A fake is a fake and it serves no good on the open market if it is not labeled as such. And Ryan only made a run of ten, all of which are numbered on the bottom of the feet.

Unfortunately this falls pretty much right in line with other actions I have read about from Mark. Like I said, I have no issues with him personally but this wont help his cause in many collectors eyes.

Billy
    2008 winner of the "Best Supporting Awesomeness" Award. And rightly so.
    John A's fave link ever.... http://history.cookiethievery.com/041204/

No firestorm, no firestorm??? I can't resist it, I must add firestorm to this thread!

The Super Powers collectors on the board will enjoy my joke....hopefully :^)

-Mike
    Buying vintage prototypes, snowtrooper rarities, & Kenner employee memorabilia

Quote Originally Posted by baldylox

Your comments on Ryans abilities are spot on except for one thing. No one had an issue with his customs because he MARKED EVERY ONE AS A CUSTOM. There is no way his would be viewed as a real one with a quick glance at figure. I see nothing on that one in the auction that is cut/molded/etched into its body that states its a custom. Therefore it is NOT good for the hobby. Period. A fake is a fake and it serves no good on the open market if it is not labeled as such. And Ryan only made a run of ten, all of which are numbered on the bottom of the feet.

Unfortunately this falls pretty much right in line with other actions I have read about from Mark. Like I said, I have no issues with him personally but this wont help his cause in many collectors eyes.

Billy
    If a dishonest seller was to try and sell one of Ryan's custom Vlix figures as being authentic there's no doubt in my mind it would be listed on ebay. The fact that his figures are marked on the bottom of the feet wouldn't be helpful at all in this type of situation because the buyer wouldn't know it was a fake until after they paid for it and could see it first hand. Besides, Mark put labels on his carded 21 Back Boba Fetts to indicate they were customs and he still got blasted by some of the forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_mensinger
    No firestorm, no firestorm??? I can't resist it, I must add firestorm to this thread!

-Mike
    I don't know about Derek, James, Jon or Tim, but I thought it was funny Mike.

Tommy
    Vintage Forums Moderator
    Looking for interesting Luke Poncho, Kea Moll and Micro items!
    "Time in its aging course teaches all things."- Prometheus Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Garvey

Tommy
    What about Ronny, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike?
    They thought it was funny too.

Keep it real.

-Mike
    LOL! Ah Firestorm, literally, from Kenner's Super Powers collection! :^P
    Chancellor_Peter's Feedback Thread

Founding Member : 501st MALAYSIA - BRUNEI OUTPOST, now known as the 501st Legion Malaysia Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Garvey

-Mike

Tommy
    Me too, classic figure! Unfortunately, I never had one growing up though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast