Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Lucas Super Live Adventure

George Lucas Super Live Adventure

Hello...

I just figured I'd let people know that I was on the cast for this show, which only toured for a few months in Japan in 1993. If anyone has any questions about what exactly the show was, or about some of the collectables that they may have from the show, I'd be happy to lend my knowledge on the subject.

For serious collectors, I also have a few one-of-a-kind collectable items from the show.

That's all!

Thanks!

Re: George Lucas Super Live Adventure

We have a celebrity in our midst! Welcome to the board. I have a question. What was the Super Live Adventure? I read about it in a book, but I wasn't really clear on what it was about. Tell us about what your role in it was!

Spud, drop me an email at michaelmensinger@aol.com as I'd love to hear about the one-of-a-kind pieces you acquired during your time with the show!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Buying vintage prototypes, snowtrooper rarities, & Kenner employee memorabilia

Too late Michael. I asked first!

Since I got so many responses, both public and private, I'm going to just give the full description of the show right here. This will give you more than you probably want to know about it!

The "George Lucas Super Live Adventure" (sometimes shown with "Superlive" as one word) was a live action stunt show that toured Japan for several months in mid 1993. The show consisted of scenes based on five of George's movies, “Indiana Jones”, “Tucker”, “American Grafitti”, “Willow”, and of course, “Star Wars”. The cast was a half and half mix of dancers and stuntmen (and stuntwomen), totaling maybe 60 members overall.

The show was licensed from Lucas by Kenneth Feld, owner of Kenneth Feld Productions, Feld Entertainment, and several other corporate variances on the name. This is the man who owns Ringling Bros as well as "Sigfreid and Roy". The show rehearsed in Charlotte, North Carolina for a month (maybe two. I really can't recall) in the beginning of 1993, and went live on the road in Japan into summer. The tour began in Shin-Yokoham, and then went to Osaka, Nagoya, and Tokyo. I was injured in the show and returned to the states just prior to the show leaving Osaka.

The show opened with “Willow”, and followed the adventures of "Hiromi", a young girl pulled from the audience (a cast member), as she attempted to find a hero who could face an impending dark force.... which turned out at the end to be Darth Vader. She met with the heroes of each movie looking for a hero who would be able to save the day, and in the end she discovered that it was herself who was the hero. Very sweet. Very cheesy. This show would NOT have gone over well in America AT ALL!

As for my part; I slipped onto cast because one of the dwarves they had chosen had to drop out prior to rehearsals beginning. I am nearly as short as the dwarves, so they brought me in. In the show, I played one of the little people for Willow, performed in the big Night Club fight scene in Indiana Jones (similar to the beginning of Temple of Doom), and was shot by Han Solo in the cantina scene for accosting Hiromi (while I was dressed in an oversized alien outfit, of course!)

I have not kept in touch with anyone from the cast, and I suspect that to be the case with most everyone. Numerous cast members rotated out of the show due to injuries, me included. There had been talk of attempting the show in the US, but it never would have gone over. Only the Japanese could have found it amusing enough to pay money for, and believe me, they did pay! Tickets were NOT cheap.

As for memorabilia I have left, there really isn't a whole lot. One program guide in not so great shape after all these years. It's signed by several of the cast members I got along with. I have two Cast Jackets, one denim and one athletic (leather-sleeved) with the show name on the backs and my nickname, "Spud" over the pockets. I've worn them maybe twice each in all this time. I still have several flyers from the show which have the tour dates on them.

I have a cloth banner which could be the only one of its kind left. While the show was in Osaka, one of the main streets had banners hung from every street pole, which advertised the show dates and the sponsor. (Channel 10) It's a vertical banner about 1˝ feet wide and 5 feet tall. I am quite happy that I took the opportunity one drunken evening to climb a light pole to retrieve it.

I have some video of the show during rehearsals as well as during the tour in Japan. I have tons of photographs of both as well.

So... okay... there you have it... the long of it anyway!

Fell free to ask any questions!

-Spud

5_19_05 wrote:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
    Too late Michael. I asked first!

[/QUOTE]

No offense, but nowhere in your response did you inquire about the one-of-a-kind items Spud has. If you private messaged him before I made my post, that's fine, but I would appreciate you informing me in a more polite manner. You asked what the show was and what Spud's role was in the public reply I read from you. I wasn't trying to step on your toes and you are mistaken if you interpreted my post as such.

Spud, thanks a bunch for sharing the information about your association with the show. I greatly enjoyed hearing about it and learning about the treasures you saved.

-Mike

I sent him a "PM". I didn't mean to be rude. I was actually saying it half-jokingly. Perhaps a was necessary.

Spud

Thanks for posting about your involvment in this production. I had heard of it in the past but to hear this extra insight is great.

Any chance of some of this stuff getting into the archive Mike?

Thanks

Mike
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    Looking for SWS.com's Vader's Trap print #14
    Looking for R2 Prototypes MOC's & Cobot too! Also Droids R2 Original Art

5_19_05 wrote:

I sent him a "PM". I didn't mean to be rude. I was actually saying it half-jokingly. Perhaps a was necessary.

[/QUOTE]

No worries and no hard feelings, thanks for clarifying for me.

-Mike

Mike wrote:

Any chance of some of this stuff getting into the archive Mike?

[/QUOTE]

It's certainly possible. I'll see what we can do.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast