Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Invisible Reseals

Invisible Reseals

A couple of weeks ago I left a post saying that it is possible for carded action figures to be resealed so well that they can escape the scrutiny of experts.

In fact, this happens a lot more than a lot of people realize.

Someone replied to my post saying that it might be possible for reseals to go undetected to the naked eye -- but they would be detected by "real" experts.

Someone also said that he is always able to detect reseals (glue residue, tears, etc..) And, yes, that is obviously true of badly done reseals.

What some people don't seem to realize is that well done reseals are not detected... because they're... well done!!!

I have been collecting for over 20 years -- and, in that time, I've seen a lot -- not the least of which is well done reseals --what I call "invisible reseals" : reseals that DO escape the scrutiny of experts (and, no, I'm not talking about comic shop owners...;-)

I am posting the following for one reason -- and one reason only: to let collectors know that invisible reseals exist -- and NEVER should lack of evidence of tampering ALONE determine authenticity of a figure -- especially variants!

That said -- this is in no way meant to comment on the ESB vinyl cape Jawa (I personaly, cannot comment on that figure - there are pros and cons beyond its seal-although i don't understand why a poster confessing to having resealed it was not taken at all seriously)

Nor is this meant to comment on the expertise of AFA. Invisible reseals fool EVERYBODY!!!

OK. This is what I did --an experiment -- (and I took pictures of every step of the process):

11/05/02:

I selected a figure from my collection - a Palitoy Admiral Ackbar on a lousy card. I chose this figure because I was not attached to it :-) and because there is a distinctive tear where the price tag was removed years ago.

I then carefully opened the card, took out the figure, and marked an "X" on its back (I hated to do that but I wanted a way to document every step).

I filled out the form for AFA asking explicitly for AFA to check for both authenticiy and tampering! I then went out and bought a money order for the exact amount of their premium service ($35.75)

I placed the open figure and cardback on that day's newspaper (11/05/02 election day!). Next to it was the AFA form and, I put the money order partially under the opened bubble to show definitively that the figure had been open BEFORE it was sent to AFA

I then put the figure back in the bubble and carefully resealed it. (The process to open and reseal a bubble I will not go into because this post is meant to help collectors -- NOT to help would-be rip off artists!!)

I sent the figure off to AFA

11/15/02:

The figure came back from AFA. Sure enough it passed their inspection!!!
    I was sure it would -- but it did feel good to receive this confirmation: YES, invisible reseals DO get past expert scrutiny!!!

It was given a rating of AFA50 (That surprised me --I would have expected it to have gotten only a 40)

I don't know how to post pictures on this forum and I don't have a website, so I posted the pictures of this experiment on Ofoto.

Ofoto is a website hosted by Kodak for sharing pictures. To view the pictures, just sign in as a member (it's free and fast).

Here is the URL:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=5059456...05&n=201005927

If you have any questions, fire away!!!

Re: Invisible Reseals

But you know what? If it's so invisible that nobody can tell, then I guess there really is no difference between the "invisible" reseal and regularly sealed card. After all, nobody can tell, so how can it be disputed?

I can see absolutely nothing. [IMG]images/icons/frown.gif[/IMG] Those pics are way too small and they don't get bigger, and I am NOT buying prints. Maybe you should get a webshots page and try again. If you really did this I would love to see. I've always wondered just how possible this is to do. However, I really don't see how you can prove it. Yeah, you have pics but how do we know it's the same?

John
    *EDIT* I got it to work now. I am looking at the larger pics.

[ 11-15-2002, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: John J. Alvarez ]
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com My PMs are full so please don't use.

Ok, I got a good look. I can't make out the X on the back. Can you take a better pic?

John
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com My PMs are full so please don't use.

I, too, would like to see a better pic of the "X" on the back inside of the AFA case. If you'll send me the pic at saeltmarae2k@yahoo.com, I will host it for you when I return home later tonight.

BTW, Hi John...haven't seen you around much lately.

-Nathan

I said this could be done in the ESB VC Jawa thread, and got flamed like hell for it.....

(I didnt say the Jawa was, but I said you could reseal a card and have it go undetected..)

But it sure looks possible now, doesnt it..
    Hmmm....

Like I said, if you can fake antiques and famous works of art, you can fake a kenner bubble seal...
    Check out my restoration site:
    www.toyfixer.com

I find that very interesting,I have to wonder if this is true,then why didnt AFA see the "X"?
    WTB: Loose vintage figures
    Feedback
    Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Originally posted by rocketjawa:
    I said this could be done in the ESB VC Jawa thread, and got flamed like hell for it.....

(I didnt say the Jawa was, but I said you could reseal a card and have it go undetected..)

Hmmm....

Like I said, if you can fake antiques and famous works of art, you can fake a kenner bubble seal...
    <font size="2" face="arial">I don't think anything's really changed - your pics are too small to make anything out properly - why don't you post some pics on the forum that we can actually see [IMG]images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG] This proves nothing from what I can see.

Also, how do we know you haven't photoshopped the pics? It'd be way easier for you to fake any viewable pics than it would be for you to have gone to the time and trouble to have sent the figure to AFA .

If you really want to prove this story, perhaps you could send the figure to Chris G. You remember him right - he's the guy I bet you couldn't fool.

Ben.
    Buying $$$$ all 2&3D Luke character protos, At-At stuff, 2-1B related, Rebel Commando items, Millennium Falcon whatever, and all the B-Wing Pilot pieces that even Steve Danley doesn't want (.25 cents).

I don't know too much about AFA's grading practices, but it would make sense if they scrutinize the higher grade items and spend lesser time on low grade ones.

I'd tend to think the scrutiny the "Experts" reserved for a low-grade piece is very small; I would suggest trying this with a high grade piece and see if the results are the same.

And I think it is a bit different; the Ackbar had two eyes on it for maybe thirty seconds? The VC Jawa's have had dozens of "eye-hours" done to it...
    Steve York
    Editor at The Star Wars Collector's Archive
    w ww.toysrgus.com
    Official Lorder Over The Hobby

Originally posted by Ben Sheehan:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by rocketjawa:

Hmmm....

<font size="2" face="arial">I don't think anything's really changed - your pics are too small to make anything out properly - why don't you post some pics on the forum that we can actually see [IMG]images/icons/wink.gif[/IMG] This proves nothing from what I can see.

Also, how do we know you haven't photoshopped the pics? It'd be way easier for you to fake any viewable pics than it would be for you to have gone to the time and trouble to have sent the figure to AFA .

If you really want to prove this story, perhaps you could send the figure to Chris G. You remember him right - he's the guy I bet you couldn't fool.

Ben.
    </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">This wasnt MY expiriment.. I CANT post better pics......
    Check out my restoration site:
    www.toyfixer.com

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast