Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep or Sell UCS Re-DOs?

Keep or Sell UCS Re-DOs?

So after getting the Falcon last night I'm starting to think about how Lego has re-done 4 of the UCS sets now. Falcon, X-Wing, Snowspeeder, and Y-Wing.

I've currently got both versions of each, and am wondering if there's any real point in that.

Those of you collecting UCS, have you been buying the upgrades, and if so have you been keeping the older ones? Displaying them together? Keeping one boxed up?

Just looking for other people's insights into what they've been doing.

I've bought the upgrades and have no plans on selling any of the older UCS sets that I have. At this point I only have the newest X-Wing 10240, Vader's TIE Advanced 10175 and the UCS TIE 75095 displayed. The trench run was by far my favorite part of A New Hope when I was 4 in '77. Someday when I have more room I'll hopefully have all displayed. Jee,z I've never even built my 10179 yet. The values of the older sets has dropped so you might as well keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    The values of the older sets has dropped so you might as well keep them.
    Looking at eBay this morning I figured I could get around $1500 or $1600 for those four sets. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I'd ever be able to display them all and I'm coming up empty. That's why I started wondering and asked...

I missed out on the original UCS X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Y-Wing sets, but I did sell my 10179 as soon as 75192 was all-but-confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Chosen_1 View Post
    I missed out on the original UCS X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Y-Wing sets, but I did sell my 10179 as soon as 75192 was all-but-confirmed.
    Can I ask how much you got for it? I toyed with selling mine during the rumor phase when prices were still high, but ultimately I didn't believe that Lego would put out a Falcon this large and thought it would be a middling $400-ish Falcon, that would keep people wanting 10179.

Obviously, I guessed wrong.

I missed the original UCS X-wiung too. When I did all that work for DK it was the only set I couldn't photograph for them, so I promised myself I'd buy it with the proceeds from the book.Well I ended upmoving overseas and never got it for myself. Prices are too high these days, and it's not a particularly good set. The new one is better, but even that doesn't appeal.

I sold my 1st edition UCS Falcon around two and a half years ago. Unopened, in shipper box, with extras. US$6250. I needed to sell it and we definitely benefitted from the money but I regret it. Given the opportunity to build either ofthe UCS Falcon's I'd pick the 1st one just so I can scratch that itch. I wouldn't say no to a new one but I'm not spending that kind of money.

Overall I think LEGO have done a good job of revamping the UCS set. If I had both I'd display them together, side by side for a compare/contrast exercise.
    Staff Reporter: LEGO & AU/NZ Collecting News
    Moderator: LEGO & LEGO: Classifieds

For Sale:
    LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary Archive Sale
    For Fun: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary Archive Gallery
    For Feedback: Jeremy = AOK

Comparing them side by side, I say I'd definitely sell the first UCS Falcon.. especially the cockpit looks very primitive and wrong.. and in my humble opinion the longer you wait the lower the prices will become.. because at one point Falcon v2 will be harder to find and increase in price..
    But...it is written if the Evil Spirit arms the Tiger with claws, Brahman provided wings for the Dove...Thus spoke the Super Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thorskywalker View Post
    Comparing them side by side, I say I'd definitely sell the first UCS Falcon.. especially the cockpit looks very primitive and wrong.. and in my humble opinion the longer you wait the lower the prices will become.. because at one point Falcon v2 will be harder to find and increase in price..
    That's what I try to do. Not so much with UCS sets, but really most any new version of something will usually be a better build.

Whenever I hear Lego has plans to release something new I immediately sell the old version if I have it. That's what I did for the Harry Potter sets.
    Last edited by sharky; 07-12-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "l'll go a little later, I'll go a littler later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

Thankfully, I didn't have any of the originals that were remade, so it gave me a chance to pick up the new ones. Oh wait, I did have 10179 but I couldn't get myself to open it because of the value. I sold it a while back for $3200 and never looked back. I might be in the same boat soon though if Lego decides to remake the Imperial Star Destroyer (10030). It's one of my favorite UCS sets and if Lego does release a new one, I think I'll still keep the old one (as long as I have space to display).
    Last edited by oneknightr; 07-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneel_Before_Zod View Post
    Can I ask how much you got for it? I toyed with selling mine during the rumor phase when prices were still high, but ultimately I didn't believe that Lego would put out a Falcon this large and thought it would be a middling $400-ish Falcon, that would keep people wanting 10179.

Obviously, I guessed wrong.
    I lucked out on the price I got for mine. I Bricklinked my 10179 (it's 100% complete, no swapped parts, including all the hard to find elements), with an unused sticker sheet. No instruction manual or boxes.

As soon as Lego posted the first teaser video for the Falcon (last July, I think?) I put it on eBay. The auction ended at an even $1,700.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast