Thread: SWCA Podcasts 90 (SOLO Vintage Winners & Losers) and 91 (From Squid Face to Squid Man)

SWCA Podcasts 90 (SOLO Vintage Winners & Losers) and 91 (From Squid Face to Squid Man)

Hi everyone,

We've released a couple more episodes as Summer's kicking into gear.

Episode 90: Solo Vintage Winners & Losers
    http://blog.theswca.com/2018/05/chiv...e-winners.html

We analyze and review Solo: A Star Wars Story by breaking down which vintage Star Wars collectibles will benefit from the movie and which ones will suffer from it. From Snoopies to Troopies, Chewie to Han and from 3PO to Gonk, we cover it all in our now traditional Top 10 Winners and Losers list. How can a new movie impact the collectibility and desirability of 40 year-old toys? Listen to find out our take on the 90th 'Chive cast Vintage Pod: A Podcast Story, Anthology.

Episode 91: From Squid Face to Squid Man
    http://blog.theswca.com/2018/07/chiv...squid-man.html

This episode is dedicated to Jabba's squid-faced barge henchman and Venetian blind enthusiast, Squid Head. We give you the top five reasons this figure is hot as FIRE and break down the character's design just before Derek Webster (DJ121!) stops by as the Space Freak of the Week (like Raphael Sadiiq). Ron R.A. "Ron-Ron" Salvatore Mundi stops by to ask the greatest unasked question in Vintage Collecting: Why is Hammerhead called Hammerhead? He also shares memories of collecting modern (?!), talks about the weekly "Ad of the Week" on the Archive's Facebook page, discusses his completely updated vintage catalog multipack article from theswca.com and helps Skye give a damn about Squid Head cape colors including a discussion of the brown and the pink. You'll learn what a soft goods sample is and what isn't a salesman sample. Mike Cooper pops by to discuss Satanism in Star Wars, the unproduced Mongo Beefhead Tribesman, the Mexican Squid Head, an unloved puzzle and plays a high-stakes MarketWatch game. All this plus Obi-Obi-Obi Ozzy on the latest Vintage Pod.

Thanks as always for listening!

--Steve

Great episodes, guys! Cannot believe Skye contacted the "Turmoil in the Toybox" author!
    Wampa, wampa!

Thanks again, guys. Had a great time talking with you! Getting into the episode now, so far so good!

Hooray for the Chivecast!!!
    ROTJ/Revenge Focus Collector - Help me complete the 79 Proof run!

Both wonderful episodes. Thanks Skye and Steve!! Wampa, Wampa!!!
    Last edited by Kenner76; 07-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

With Ron and the guys talking about collecting POTF2, just thought I'd share my story. I was working at Ames department store at the time. When I heard the line was getting a re-launch, words couldn't express how excited I was. As the release date got closer, I'd go in the back room and search all the toy shipments. Sure enough, two cases of figures arrived in our store. We couldn't put them out until a specific date, because they were part of our Holiday Toy Book. I was counting the days until finally, we had the go ahead to put them out. I wasn't allowed to buy any until they made it out to the sales floor. Just so happened that I was the guy who got to stock the pegs! So I promptly stocked the pegs, then turned around and loaded one of each from the first wave into a shopping basket, and brought them down to the Lay A Way counter! LOL Anyone else remember Lay A Way?

It only took me a couple paychecks to get them paid off. As more came in, I picked one of each up to keep carded. And I remember looking everywhere for C-3PO. Leia was more readily available than C-3PO back then, for the initial launch. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    So I promptly stocked the pegs, then turned around and loaded one of each from the first wave into a shopping basket, and brought them down to the Lay A Way counter! LOL Anyone else remember Lay A Way?

It only took me a couple paychecks to get them paid off. As more came in, I picked one of each up to keep carded. And I remember looking everywhere for C-3PO. Leia was more readily available than C-3PO back then, for the initial launch. Good times!
    I used layaway for my Super Nintendo Entertainment System and a couple games, with money from my paper route. It felt like such an accomplishment to get my OWN system at an earlier age! :-) I also did a layaway for a bunch of Micro Machine Star Wars stuff when it was first coming out.

K-Mart still does layaway around the holidays.

And, it is also weird how areas differ. Leia was supposedly rare in my neck of the woods. There were hobby/toy shops (heck even sports card shops were getting in on it) selling her for around $40! That, and Lando and Ben were "rare." C-3PO was a peg warmer.
    Last edited by comicalUser; 07-10-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Now that you mention it, I think it may have been the Leia. She's the only one not shown with the rest of the wave on the card back. Maybe we got a couple cases of the initial assortment, then got a revision case with both C-3PO and Leia.