Thread: Potf coin verification - yak face and more

Potf coin verification - yak face and more

Hey guys, I beleive we can post completed ebay auctions correct? I finally won a yak coin in a lot and I want to be able to verify its authenticity.

It's the last of the last 17 that I needed so I'm glad to hopefully have it pinned down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sta...-/123215067037

What can I do to verify its legit? Any assistance would be appreciated.

I think the main way is to weigh them. the fake coins don't weigh the same as real ones. You need a very accurate small weight scale to measure to the hundredth of a gram. I think most people use digital postal scales of some kind. It's possible these are also from the "Bucket Find" of lots of rare but tarnished coins that were cleaned up or repainted.

Edited for "Feedback not helping."
    Last edited by Jedi534; 07-02-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    "I'm so hardcore, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi534 View Post
    I'll just say, I wouldn't have bid on that lot.
    Based on what? Your feedback isn't really helping without more details.

I have a postal scale. What weights should be checking for when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiralJSK View Post
    I have a postal scale. What weights should be checking for when they arrive.
    The Yak Face coin is not one that is part of the restrike fiasco, so it should be fine, and I wouldn't worry about weighing it. It looks like this one has/had some tarnishing, and has been polished and worn somewhat, though, so it was possibly part of the "Bucket Find".

-M
    WTB: Painted POTF, DROIDS & EWOKS coins!

"A man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play" - J.M. Barrie.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSalotti View Post
    The Yak Face coin is not one that is part of the restrike fiasco, so it should be fine, and I wouldn't worry about weighing it. It looks like this one has/had some tarnishing, and has been polished and worn somewhat, though, so it was possibly part of the "Bucket Find".

-M
    I plan on parting with the others, as they are duplicates for me, should I be concerned a out any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiralJSK View Post
    I plan on parting with the others, as they are duplicates for me, should I be concerned a out any of them?
    Well, Lando General and Luke Original are not part of the restrike problem either. Although the rest are, I see no red-flags, and especially given that they're not mint, I suspect that they're fine.

-M
    WTB: Painted POTF, DROIDS & EWOKS coins!

"A man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play" - J.M. Barrie.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This officially ends my coin pursuit so I'm happy to be done with them and not feel like I've had a hole in my collection for years now with the yak coin.