Thread: Luke Farmboy - AFA worthy?

Luke Farmboy - AFA worthy?

Hey guys i'd appreciate some advice. This figure was purchased cut card/sealed at a flea market in the late 80's. In the early 90's i had heard about a double telescoping Lightsaber and wasn't sure what that meant at the time - so i opened the figure to make sure and then put him back in the bubble where it has been ever since.

The figure has never had a joint moved and the saber has only been slid out the one time.

As you can see by the photos, over the years the packaging has done some minor damage to the figure. (Paint rub top of head, see paint on bubble second to last pic and Orange backer marks)

My question is:

In your expert opinion is this figure worth getting graded and as a rough estimate what number would you expect it to get?

Also, what would you ask for it as is?

Thank you

Well, its a Taiwan version, and it has the correct saber. The orange rub on his back might just come off (if you dare), but he does have that boof on the top of his head.

I would guess he would grade at 75 if you chose to grade him.

I just bought one in slightly better condition last weekend for $45 (Canadian), but it didnt have the blister (plus i got a wicked great deal). That being said, I would guess his current value around $90 - $120 canadian depending who is buying.

If you submitted hin to AFA, they probably would not grade it/mount it with the blister. CAS might, though, if you ask them.

At a 75 grade, it would be worth maybe slightly more than if you just sold him loose with his blister, IMO. Not really worth the trouble unless you do him as part of a batch, or just have a hankering to get him graded.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Well, its a Taiwan version, and it has the correct saber. The orange rub on his back might just come off (if you dare), but he does have that boof on the top of his head.

I would guess he would grade at 75 if you chose to grade him.

I just bought one in slightly better condition last weekend for $45 (Canadian), but it didnt have the blister (plus i got a wicked great deal). That being said, I would guess his current value around $90 - $120 canadian depending who is buying.

If you submitted hin to AFA, they probably would not grade it/mount it with the blister. CAS might, though, if you ask them.

At a 75 grade, it would be worth maybe slightly more than if you just sold him loose with his blister, IMO. Not really worth the trouble unless you do him as part of a batch, or just have a hankering to get him graded.

Thanks!

Yeah the hair rub hurt my feelings the most. I have since removed him to prevent further damage.

I probably wouldn't even be asking if it weren't for that tbh. I had no intentions on selling him because a minty farmboy is nice to have around and he only cost two dolla.

I'm curious, other than those issues what else on the figure caught your attention to bring the score down? Keep in mind the joints are ultra tight and that saber is pretty mint. Is the Taiwan version more or less desired than the HK COO? Would you consider this to be a short pour variation and is that even really a thing?

I'm mainly interested for my own curiosity now as i'll probably just hold onto it.

Thanks again

edit:
    If i was feeling up to the challenge of removing the backer marks, say after a couple beers, how should i go about doing that?
    Last edited by bladerunner1; 06-21-2018 at 05:23 AM.

A couple of rubs and a little discolouration but i’d say it would make an AFA80. However in my opinion I don’t think grading it will add much value. AFA80 figure prices tend to equal loose figure price plus cost of grading. You’re not going to get a premium on grading that condition in my opinion.

Agree w Oli- the hair rub gets you an 80. Some of the paint on tunic may come off w some elbow grease and hot soapy water. I would get it cased up- just dont pay $50 for the archival tier unless you need it back soon. Going on 4 months for my last submission of loosies under standard tier and have not been notified as of yet but for me its a non issue
    Last edited by BTD2; 06-21-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olisuds View Post
    A couple of rubs and a little discolouration but i’d say it would make an AFA80. However in my opinion I don’t think grading it will add much value. AFA80 figure prices tend to equal loose figure price plus cost of grading. You’re not going to get a premium on grading that condition in my opinion.
    That is what i was thinking about the grading hence the question. That darn paint rub!!! Without it, it would be off to be graded. Sad because it is a non played with figure. Basically straight off the bubble. Oh well.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by BTD2 View Post
    Agree w Oli- the hair rub gets you an 80. Some of the paint on tunic may come off w some elbow grease and hot soapy water. I would get it cased up- just dont pay $50 for the archival tier unless you need it back soon. Going on 4 months for my last submission of loosies under standard tier and have not been notified as of yet but for me its a non issue
    Yeah, i'm probably just going to get this case:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Premium...53.m1438.l2649

And this stand:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-DELUXE-...53.m1438.l2649

And display him!

Unless you have a better case to suggest?

Hope you get your figures back soon!
    Last edited by bladerunner1; 06-21-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner1 View Post
    I'm curious, other than those issues what else on the figure caught your attention to bring the score down? Keep in mind the joints are ultra tight and that saber is pretty mint. Is the Taiwan version more or less desired than the HK COO? Would you consider this to be a short pour variation and is that even really a thing?
    I said 75 because I know AFA can be inconsistent. Ive seen figures with minor issues like that graded 75, and figures that looked absolutely mint graded at 80... Just hedging my bets with the 75...

Taiwan version is perhaps a little less common. Some people desire it more than an HK for that reason, others dont care. As i said in my valuation, depends who's buying.

IMO a short pour is not desirable. Factory flaw that escaped QC. Some people might like those, but not me. If you hadn't drawn my attention to it though, i wouldnt have noticed.

[QUOTE=bladerunner1;20097471If i was feeling up to the challenge of removing the backer marks, say after a couple beers, how should i go about doing that?[/QUOTE]

My advice: wait until you sober up. Ive done some dumb stuff u seemingly fool-proof situations after a couple of beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    I said 75 because I know AFA can be inconsistent. Ive seen figures with minor issues like that graded 75, and figures that looked absolutely mint graded at 80... Just hedging my bets with the 75...

Taiwan version is perhaps a little less common. Some people desire it more than an HK for that reason, others dont care. As i said in my valuation, depends who's buying.

IMO a short pour is not desirable. Factory flaw that escaped QC. Some people might like those, but not me. If you hadn't drawn my attention to it though, i wouldnt have noticed.

My advice: wait until you sober up. Ive done some dumb stuff u seemingly fool-proof situations after a couple of beers.

Your estimate is pretty much what i was expecting - between 75 and 80. But again, when it comes to AFA I have very little knowledge. I'm a "C" guy and in this situation I would give this a C-8.721345678

But seriously, I was only joking about the beer as i'm a Everclear guy myself. I would never take on such a stressful and potentially world altering event on Pabst or anything.

Let me try serious again.

Regarding AFA. The thing i have noticed about AFA is - the figure (card/bubble etc) doesn't stop the aging process because it got graded. Therefore, and this may not be a popular statement, the grade is potentially worthless because this very figure could get a 75-80 now and turn bright yellow in a decade - thus making it look silly next to a similar grade that didn't turn bright yellow.

In fact i have seen examples where that seems to be the case meaning that "yes", it is indeed inconsistent even in smaller case scenarios than a figure turning bright yellow.

To further illustrate my point, keeping this figure basically carded in a climate controlled environment certainly didn't do it any favors when it comes to loose potential.