Thread: Luke's fall through window in Empire

Luke's fall through window in Empire

I posted this on a FB group today and was pleasantly surprised I wasn't the only one to not notice this for so long...

Watched Empire again for the Nth time last night and just noticed a broken window as the camera zooms in on Luke. Is that the same window he just fell out of? If so, I never realized it was that short distance of a fall and always thought it was much larger and he happened to grab onto a walkway bar quite some distance away. Now I realize he fell out of it, caught on to the walkway bar somehow, got up and walked back into the same room area he just fell out of. I guess that explains how Vader could have been so close if he had fallen a lot further away.

Here's an image of the Carbon Freezing Chamber/Gantry from the Cross Sections book:

From the looks of it based on this, it's likely the same window. I didn't realize til I got the book that the Carbon Freezing Chamber was in the same gigantic vane shown later during the duel. So based on this, Luke would had to have travelled through the tube supporting the vane via a tram or some sort the moment he got cut off from Artoo until he reached the chamber. The movie made it seems that the travel time was practically instantaneous.

Last edited by Deak_Starkiller; 06-17-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

I'm thinking who designed that! Good thing there's no gravity, as the weight would snap that support arm like twig!
    Oh wait, there must be gravity if he fell and then later walks like there is?

My second question would be, why put a open gangway in a big open almost bottomless space like that?

Some people, where the heck was the safety commission. lol
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, R3-H17 Looking for JP Ellie, Grant & Muldoon
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Maybe some structural integrity/gravity-altering field to help keep it up. In any event, I'm assuming Bespin, a gas giant, has a natural gravity field much greater than 1G, so fields of that nature would pretty much exist almost throughout the city.

yeah sounds right as Bespin was atmospheric, and they continually emphasize gas giant. Probably my fave for locales in SW. Loved exploring it
    in TFA, and BF
    Quote Originally Posted by Deak_Starkiller View Post
    Maybe some structural integrity/gravity-altering field to help keep it up. In any event, I'm assuming Bespin, a gas giant, has a natural gravity field much greater than 1G, so fields of that nature would pretty much exist almost throughout the city.

I recall watching Carl Sagan's version of Cosmos in my youth, and watching an episode where he speculates possible lifeforms that could exist on Jupiter which bears resemblance to creatures that we would find out later in EU on Bespin such as Thrantas and Beldons.
    Last edited by Deak_Starkiller; 07-03-2018 at 08:59 AM.