Thread: Sci-Fi book recommendations for the beach

Sci-Fi book recommendations for the beach

Any one have any recommendations for good sci-fi reads for a beach trip I'm taking next week?

Nothing to do with Star Wars, please. No matter how well written, I'm burned out on SW novels.

I'm a huge Michael Crichton fan, but I've basically read everything he's written. Something in that vein would be appreciated though.

ETA: A well written mystery novel (think Dan Brown more than Agatha Christie) would also work.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mousedroid; 06-13-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Are you a Bruce Campbell fan? It isn't sci-fi but I found his book If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor to be a very entertaining read. All three of his books in fact. It tells the story of how he started with his buddies making home movies and then the Evil Dead and Brisco County and Spider-Man and is just a good biography of his life. He is a very entertaining story teller.
    And it isn't a cliffhanger or intricate plot where you can't find places to stop reading and put it down. You could certainly stop and start easily on a week long beach trip.

Can you get into some comic graphic novels? The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and The Watchmen by Alan Moore can certainly chew up some time and are two highly regarded works. Neither should be hard to find copies of as they are reprinted often.

If this type of stuff isn't typically your bag, maybe vacation is the perfect time to give something different a shot.

It's not a very long story but I really like Robert Heinlein's By His Bootstraps. I don't know if you can find it by itself, I think it was originally published in a magazine. There's a short story collection entitled The Menace From Earth and it is one of those eight stories. I don't know the other stories. Maybe this collection would be good fodder for a beach vacation.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 06-13-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Quote Originally Posted by mousedroid View Post
    Any one have any recommendations for good sci-fi reads for a beach trip I'm taking next week?

Nothing to do with Star Wars, please. No matter how well written, I'm burned out on SW novels.

I'm a huge Michael Crichton fan, but I've basically read everything he's written. Something in that vein would be appreciated though.

ETA: A well written mystery novel (think Dan Brown more than Agatha Christie) would also work.

Thanks in advance!
    Anything by James Patterson.

The Rest of the Robots by Asimov (series of short stories) or Forever War by Joe Haldemann.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzzler View Post
    Can you get into some comic graphic novels? The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and The Watchmen by Alan Moore can certainly chew up some time and are two highly regarded works. Neither should be hard to find copies of as they are reprinted often.
    Long time comics nerd. Bought both the Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen when they were originally published. I have read some Heinlein (if he wrote The Puppet Masters), so I may give some of his other work a try. I like Bruce Campbell well enough, so I may give that a look sometime, but not what I'm feeling for a beach read. Thanks for the great suggestions!

And thanks for the recommendation of James Patterson, jedisquared. Never read anything by him. I'll take a look at some of his novels at BAM before we leave.

Anyone else...?
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Quote Originally Posted by SITHLORD1963 View Post
    The Rest of the Robots by Asimov (series of short stories) or Forever War by Joe Haldemann.
    Sorry SITHLORD1963, I didn't see your suggestions before I posted. I'll give those a look too.
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Julian May - the Saga of the Pliocene Exiles series:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/...me-of-thrones/

An awesome, engaging series - and yes, I agree with everything the review espouses!

Highly recommended!