Thread: Yellowed Stormtroopers....what's the best solution?

Yellowed Stormtroopers....what's the best solution?

So,

I have an issue with my stormtroopers that most of us do get.......and that's yellowing do to time, and so on and so forth. I have a lot of troopers, and the ones that I have the issue with are all TAC ones, and some of The Saga Coll. Sandtroopers, and early releases of Scout troopers...VOTC etc. as well. They are all yellowing on the torso, and pelvis area...and looking real crappy.

So, At one time, I put them all in peroxide, 3% and put them out in the sun for a couple of days...they all whitened up, and looked great. Well, it didn't last. Tried it again, and not much effect...thought maybe I should have used newer peroxide. Tried some stronger peroxide on one to test, with some oxyclean thrown in...not much better either.

Been looking online, and reading a bit on Salon Care..40% volume might give that a try....

What if anything has anyone else used to whiten troopers up and how long does it last...what are some other ways to take care of the troopers due to yellowing

My last resort is painting them...but I really don't want to do that because 1), I have a lot of them, and 2) it will be hard to match paint for how white the arms, legs, and helmets are. If I paint them, I will only want to paint the torso and pelvis areas, and not the entire figure.

So, another question is....what would be the best paint to use, to match the whiteness of the figures appendages and be crisp, clean, and not leave any sticky residue?

Thanks for reading, and any info you can provide.

Here was one reply from another forum user:

This might be useful? As for my own personal opinion, painting Stormtrooper is one of the harder type of figures to do. So, I'd suggest this...

1 - Pick up some Testors acrylic paints - flat white, flat black, and clear semi-gloss
    2 - Dry brush the entire figure with the flat white paint
    3 - touch up areas with the flat black paint
    4 - dry brush the clear semi-gloss over the figure

The most annoying thing you might find is the blue lines on the sides of the helmet are really hard to repaint if needed... so what I do with yellowed Stormtroopers is add a bit of grime and dirty look to them... this is what I do:

1 - Pick up some Testors acrylic paints - flat white, flat black, leather brown, and clear semi-gloss
    2 - Dry brush the entire figure with the flat white paint
    3 - Apply a light wash with the leather brown color (or flat black)
    4 - touch up areas with the flat black paint
    5 - dry brush the clear semi-gloss over the figure

I found that only my clone/storm troopers near a window were the ones that yellowed. Something to do with sunlight for my yellowing issues.

I like the idea of making them into dirty ST's that the user suggested.

Repainting could give you what you're looking for though.

What about skin whitener/lightener? Women use that stuff to lighten their skin pigment, it might work on the figures. But I do not know if the chemicals in the cream would damage the figures further.

As for the painting, I like the gloss white I get from paint marker pens. And to brush it on, you just blot some out into a water bottle cap.

I hear Citadel paints for war-gaming miniatures are really good, but I've never used them.

I hope you can solve the issue. :{J
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...

All of mine started to yellow I guess due to age. They have all been in various containers and in a closet, where it's pretty much the same temp in there all year. I am testing some more peroxide now, to see if I can get it going again.

Thanks for the info on the paints. Like I said, if it comes to that, I just want all the info I can get

It must be the age of the figures. Like once they age long enough some chemical breaks down in the white paint/plastic that yellows them.

Glad to help. Maybe someone else will give a better/easier solution. :{J
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...