Thread: So, what's happening to the Prop Replica licences?

So, what's happening to the Prop Replica licences?

I thought that i's start a thread on this as I cant recall seeing anything about the future of Star Wars Prop replicas since the demise of The PropShop.

QMX appear to have withdrawn their awesome Cutaway Millennium Falcon model (Please god, don't let this be true. )

EFX are obviously still in the game with limited releases and licence restriction.

Anavos still seem to be doing well.

So, is there a gap here?

Honolulu, HI (until the Army moves me again)

EFX can’t produce anything within a reasonable timeline, Anovos is doing ok within the limits of their license but they are technically not doing prop replicas but wearable costumes. EFX has been unable to produce enough high volume lower cost items needed to be able to fund the more limited higher cost items. MR had the FX sabers and the .45 scale sabers that they were able to sell at a higher volume. EFX had the PCR lightsaber line but they stopped making them, perhaps they were not as profitable as they might had hoped. With the increased price across all SW collectibles I doubt we will ever see LE lightsaber replicas for the 300-500 range of the MR days. If efx or anyone else starts to produce LE lightsaber replicas i think they will be priced around $550-$600 at best. I hope that EFX merges with Sideshow at one point, who already has a developed system for the production of high end collectibles. Unless EFX merges with a larger company or looses the license to one, I think we will continue to see more of the same from the licensed replicas market.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is manufacturing. For SW and Marvel properties, the factories have to meet a set of criteria to be an approved factory to make product.
    When Disney took over, finding factories that met this approval became incredibly difficult. So much so that now most of the companies in this space do 90% of all the work at this one particular factory. So everyone competes for time and attention to get your projects worked on. For example, the same factory that produces items for Anovos produces for EFX. That plus I think collectors are getting waiting fatigue (understandably so) for items. But because it's too risky for small prop/costume companies to sell product after it's completed, the pre-order model is the only way to ensure you don't over manufacture and end up with inventory that you had to invest in, but also pay to store. Over estimating and being stuck with inventory just a couple times could be enough to sink small companies like these. So pre-order to determine the quantities and interest is the only safe way to go. It's a catch 22.
    Manufacturing domestically is like 3-4 times more expensive and most people are tapping out at the current prices that are determined by how much it costs to manufacture in China (which is by far the cheapest). Sadly the market that was there during the MR days is just no longer there. You could have a whole different discussion as to why that is.
    Art Director/Product Development for EFX Collectibles
    Product Developer for Sideshow Collectibles
    Check out and LIKE my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/starwarslifesized

Very informative post Gino! I’ve noticed companies some Sideshow and Anovos putting out a high number of OT items, in Sideshow’s case they are re-doing previously done characters. I think they are doing so because they know it’s sells, why doesn’t EFX start to redo OT props even if already done by MR? I think it’s about time, a whole new generation of collectors would love to get their hands on these and don’t want to pay the big second hand prices of the old MR items.

Thanks Gino. A very comprehensive response. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Rodders; 05-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRican View Post
    Very informative post Gino! I’ve noticed companies some Sideshow and Anovos putting out a high number of OT items, in Sideshow’s case they are re-doing previously done characters. I think they are doing so because they know it’s sells, why doesn’t EFX start to redo OT props even if already done by MR? I think it’s about time, a whole new generation of collectors would love to get their hands on these and don’t want to pay the big second hand prices of the old MR items.
    They are doing that, or will be. The Duel Series are the new lightsaber line that will bring us OT and PT sabers. Question is will Disney allow this to be marketed now or wait for the ST to be done. Right now i think the focus is the Rey and Kylo hilts before we see other sabers, but i could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthLuis View Post
    They are doing that, or will be. The Duel Series are the new lightsaber line that will bring us OT and PT sabers. Question is will Disney allow this to be marketed now or wait for the ST to be done. Right now i think the focus is the Rey and Kylo hilts before we see other sabers, but i could be wrong.
    Given that every other collectible company has been turning out lots of OT stuff, I really hope they allow EFX to do the same and release OT stuff. I also do think that both Kyloís and Reyís lightsabers would sell well and Iím surprised they havenít released them yet. Ginoís explanation about manufacturing issues could be the reason why.

The Pre-order model for businesses is certainly a safe way to go and I do support it. Where I draw the line is when Pre-order misses delivery and not by a month or two. All these companies need to build the confidence that delivery will be timely and when it is missed offer some kind of reasonable compensation. Getting things approved always hold up the process and I would say no pre-orders until you know production is approved. I understand it take some capital to make the prototypes but that is where budgeting comes in. I would rather the quantity of releases be slower if it means solid delivery times. I think if you can't afford the prototypes and approval process than wait until you can. Using your customers money to fund projects that in some cases take years is not a way to build customer loyalty.

Take the customer on the journey, tease out what you would like to produce, gauge interest and go forward. Taking the customers money and not giving the full disclosure as to where the product stands is what creates the bitterness. Being honest, being timely and delivering the quality we have come to expect is not much to ask for when you take Pre-Order money. This really goes for all Prop businesses. People are generally more supportive and understanding when they feel valued and informed.

Unfortunately EFX seems to be still in business of 'promising promoting and never delivering' job of SW replicas The force help us all..
    MRGroup is our last hope.. They might eventually take over... Hopefully they will..
    But...it is written if the Evil Spirit arms the Tiger with claws, Brahman provided wings for the Dove...Thus spoke the Super Guru