Thread: Darth Vader Collector's Case Information....

Darth Vader Collector's Case Information....

I just picked up an Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader Collector's case, with the cardboard skirt. The case has been used, and the stickers are applied, but it does still have the cardboard insert with pics of all the figures, as well as the cardboard skirt (i'm calling it a skirt for lack of a better term). Anyways, the Skirt is a 47 Back, and it has an offer on the front for a "$1.00 Rebate on next purchase of most Star Wars Toys". On the back, is the rebate form printed on the cardboard of the Skirt. The Skirt is in O.K. shape, not great, but not bad either. Anyways, I remember reading a website a while back that had a bunch of history on Darth Vader Case and the different skirt variants (different backs, figures included with some etc.). For the life of me, i cannot find that website again. I vaguely remember that this $1.00 rebate offer version was somewhat scarce, tho not as scarce as the figure included versions. Does anyone know where that site is, or what I am thinking of? Can anyone tell me if this version is rare? I found a site that stated that there is a printed version (like mine) and a version where the rebate was a sticker applied to an existing Vader Case. I don't have time to post pics right now, but I can if that would be helpful. Any info you all can give me would be great. I'm also trying to confirm that the yellow insert with the figure pics is the correct one for this case, and what if any other inserts would have come with the case. I'm fairly confident that the insert is correct since it has 47 figures pictured and the back of the skirt as I said is a 47 Back. Thanks in advance!

Yes, I thought that is what i was thinking of initially, but I found that website and I don't think that's it. I just remember reading about the variants, and which ones were rare or hard to find and which ones weren't. I don't know, maybe it's all in my head!

•    
    The 47 back with the printed Rebate offer is uncommon, but not rare. In fact all 47 back cases are uncommon, with the printed offer tougher to find and the sticker version the toughest. The insert has 47 figures in total (both sides) and is the same for the normal 47bk skirt and sticker offer version.

I don't know the website you're referring to - I love to learn about it though, as I've been hunting down pictures of the ROTJ 79bk skirt. At this stage, I believe that there was no 79bk skirt and that it was only the insert that was different (65 figs vs 79 figs displayed). Love to be proved wrong.

Cheers,
    Pat
    Last edited by darth_daddius; 06-05-2018 at 03:50 AM.
    Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
    Vader Vintage Collection
    Vader Bootleg Collection

Hey Pat, thanks for the reply! The website I am thinking of was like the Star Wars Mail Away guide that is on SWCA. I remember it had pictures of the different variations of the skirt, with a little info on their commonality or rareness. If i find it again, I will let you know. I must have read something, somewhere, because when I saw the rebate offer i knew it was a rare ( or more accurately) uncommon one. I have a ROTJ D.V. Case that is sealed at home, i will check the back and make sure it's not a 79!.... I'm sure it's a 65 tho.

•    
    Cheers - I'd appreciate that.
    Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
    Vader Vintage Collection
    Vader Bootleg Collection

I checked my sealed ROTJ case, it's a 65 back. Obviously no idea what insert it has. I think having a complete run of the different skirt variations would be really cool!

I've got an open ROTJ case with skirt, but I know for a fact it has the wrong insert. But I'm pretty sure it has an insert from Empire. (it's been pieced together) I'll be happy to check as well.

Okay, another question on this topic. How many character name stickers were there on the sticker sheet that came with the first mail away Vader case? It's my understanding that the first cardboard insert that came with the mail away showed 31ish figures, was black and was a photo of the figure case in use with figures (If that makes sense). So, if a guy was looking for the correct sticker sheet for that version of the case, how many stickers should be on it?