Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dioramas, something to be forgotten or is there still interest in them?

Dioramas, something to be forgotten or is there still interest in them?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleLightsaber View Post
    I actually like the diorama pieces, although I did come into them later on. I have 5 of the Sideshow ones and there are a few that I'd like if I can ever find them for a reasonable price. Don't have any of the GG ones, but have always liked the Fett with frozen Han and Stormtroopers.
    I used to have that statue. It was an amazing statue, but unfortunately I had to sell it. I wish I could buy one again, but it's so darn expensive now!

I remember reading somewhere that the tooling for building these is a lot more complex than for a statue, as there are so many more parts. So therefore can conclude they are much more expensive to make, which hits their margins. Considering this and the fact that there has been no diorama news now for years (as far as I know) I don't think we'll ever see any more. Which is sad and a real shame as I do like them.
    Yeah, that's probably true and unfortunate. We can dream though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bighead5; 05-29-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Indeed, the cost of what the manufacturer pays for raw materials, production equipment, labor and licenses for patented manufacturing processes or design elements has gone up, and the more complicated /elaborate a sculpt becomes, including the many parts it could have, signifies a higher production cost due to the tooling needed for its development. As a business, the higher production cost would then be passed on to the consumer through increased retail prices. That does not mean that the company would be "evil" for doing so, but price increases need to be applied in order to represent a sustainable profit for the manufacturer. For instance, the cost of a mini bust today is noticeably higher, anywhere between $120.00 to $150.00, compared to the much lower price of less than a decade ago which is a reflection of higher production cost and licensing.

Dioramas would be rather costly for the average collector/consumer by today price standards. That's why I believe that if we are looking into collecting these complex pieces today today, there could be a way to get around the high cost of a full diorama via offering statues with disguise-able interlocking bases and or statues including a piece of environment that when put together will recreate a full scene. The consumer would then have the choice of buying just a specific character, or a whole set to recreate any specific scene intended for. I think that could be more cost efficient to the maker and easier on the consumer' wallet.
    As a collector, surrounding yourself with what you like enriches not only your visual experience, but it instills vitality to your life and uplifts your soul.

My Feedback

I've wanted a piece of Gentle Giant in my Millennium Falcon collection for ages. I was rather disappointed that their awful "Customz" line didn't continue toward the Falcon.

A line of dioramas would be pretty awesome, but I would only be interested in specific ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    I've wanted a piece of Gentle Giant in my Millennium Falcon collection for ages. I was rather disappointed that their awful "Customz" line didn't continue toward the Falcon.

A line of dioramas would be pretty awesome, but I would only be interested in specific ones.
    Like which ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post

Dioramas would be rather costly for the average collector/consumer by today price standards. That's why I believe that if we are looking into collecting these complex pieces today today, there could be a way to get around the high cost of a full diorama via offering statues with disguise-able interlocking bases and or statues including a piece of environment that when put together will recreate a full scene. The consumer would then have the choice of buying just a specific character, or a whole set to recreate any specific scene intended for. I think that could be more cost efficient to the maker and easier on the consumer' wallet.

That could work. If each had a bit of environment that could fit together, perhaps using a interlocking plate that sits under the base and therefore keeps the sides of the bases clean. This leads to another consideration that the size of the base needed for stability on each statue may make the whole thing gigantic when pushed together. A cantina scene for example could take up a significant surface area...

They would also need to be careful over the poses. The statues would need to work together and separately... Many of the great dioramas I have look great with characters together, but not so great with just the one character. As they represent action scenes.

Who said this would be straightforward....

That could work. If each had a bit of environment that could fit together, perhaps using a interlocking plate that sits under the base and therefore keeps the sides of the bases clean. This leads to another consideration that the size of the base needed for stability on each statue may make the whole thing gigantic when pushed together. A cantina scene for example could take up a significant surface area...

They would also need to be careful over the poses. The statues would need to work together and separately... Many of the great dioramas I have look great with characters together, but not so great with just the one character. As they represent action scenes.

Who said this would be straightforward....
    Yes. It would require a bit of planning and research to see how the market/consumer feels about it. Perhaps they could test the waters by offering two statues with interlocking bases and see how things go. The product would definitely need to be engineered in a way that is space saving and cost efficient, while offering the collector an opportunity to get just one statue/character or several of them to complete the scene. On that same token, poses would need to be chosen carefully so the characters would be visually interesting both ways, by themselves and/or with the added counterparts.
    Last edited by LightSword; 05-30-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    As a collector, surrounding yourself with what you like enriches not only your visual experience, but it instills vitality to your life and uplifts your soul.

My Feedback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12