Thread: Cane Adiss - New Sculpt!

Cool Cane Adiss - New Sculpt!

I've been wanting to do another Cane Adiss sculpt for a long time now. The last one I did was 10 years ago and I've learned a lot since then. I wanted to make him in a larger scale with better detail. I debated how to sculpt a new body and whether I should make him a two headed creature (as in the EU descriptions) of create separate bodies for each head, thinking perhaps they were two separate creatures (mates, perhaps?)

Reasons for considering two separate bodies include:
    1. The original maquette shows two long necks intertwining but never joining. The base clearly shows two separate necks.
    2. The spots on each head and neck are different colors. One head has dark green spots and the other has reddish-brown spots. Seems more likely to be different creatures.

Reasons for making them as two heads on one body:
    1. They were sculpted together and presented as one character.
    2. On the call sheet for the creatures they are listed together simply as Cane Adiss (Cane heads).
    3. They were always paired together on set.

Without knowing the artist's original intent I'm not sure we can say definitively one way or another. In the end I decided two go with the popular 2 heads on one body. I also followed my previous serpentine design only this time I excluded any appendages thinking this would be more in the spirit of the original design. I also remembered to put hair on their heads this time.

He is sculpted around a wire frame which allows for some flexibility in posing him.

A few pics of him next to some figures and in my palace diorama to show scale.

Finally a few pics of new verses old with my previous figure on the right.

Thanks for looking! JPS

Amazing work. :{J
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...

That looks really great!

I have no proof for this, but by looking at different sketches/maquettes, I think his body was a puddle with pseudo-pods.

Those look awesome, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    That looks really great!

I have no proof for this, but by looking at different sketches/maquettes, I think his body was a puddle with pseudo-pods.
    Really? Which sketches/maquettes?

This is the original maquette that I based him off of. I never found any concept art but based on this he appears more serpentine. I'd be glad to see any other photos that people have but I think I pretty well gleaned the internet of all of them.

Very nice work! I love your interpretation of Cane's body. The sculpting and paint work is excellent.
    What sculpting material did you use that allows it to be bent after hardening?

You are insanely talented... this might be the best Cane Adiss I've seen a custom of. Simply flawless!

Quote Originally Posted by HolidaySpecial View Post
    Very nice work! I love your interpretation of Cane's body. The sculpting and paint work is excellent.
    What sculpting material did you use that allows it to be bent after hardening?
    HolidaySpecial, it's called Kneadatite green stuff. I have a wire armature inside of it made of clothesline wire that allows for limited posing and increased durability.

I appreciate everyone's kind words! Thanks!