Thread: Variants variants variants, to keep, or not to keep, that is the question

Variants variants variants, to keep, or not to keep, that is the question

Ever since I restarted my Star Wars collecting, Iíve been wondering how most people collect on here. Iíve sorted a lot of figures into groups, and I find that I have many variations of each figure, how do you determine which to keep in your collection, and which to discard? Do you keep the rarest variant that you own, or the most common variant?

Side note, I wanted to switch domes on my R2D2 figures, so that the nice dome would be on a body with a great sticker, but I cannot seem to get the sensorscope dome onto the body so that there is not space between the body, and the dome. It doesnít stick out unless you look at the figure very closely, but being a perfectionist it definitely bothers me. Question is, is it impossible to get the sensorscope dome onto the body of an earlier R2 figure, pre-sensorcope?

I try to get every variation there is and put it on my curio...(I am missing some of them like the Dark chocolate color Rebel Soldier...is way to high $$$$!!)

"Ke nu'jurkadir sha mando'ade"

Lieutenant Commander LikeABossk's Avatar

I'm in the same boat as you. I've restarted my collection and have been buying in lots. Needless to say, I'm getting some variants that I need to decide to keep or get rid of. I'm currently of the mindset that I'll keep the major variations only at this time and I won't hunt down other variations unless I really want them (brown hair Bespin Luke).

Major to me are the following:
    Lando Bespin - Teeth & No Teeth
    ObiWan - Gray hair & White Hair
    Han Solo - Small Head & Big Head
    Bossk - Orange Head & Greenish Head
    Luke Farmboy & Luke Bespin - Blonde Hair & Brown Hair
    IG-88 - Metallic vs Molded gray

I'm sure there are a lot more, but these are the types of variations I'm thinking of keeping at this point. I'm sure you can really go nuts looking for different countries of origin and slight color variations, but that rabbit hole is a bit scary to me.

For me, I try to set some boundaries. No more than 2-3 variants per figure just because it can get away on me if I let it and before I know it I've got 10,000 different yodas jumping out of every corner of the house. I like seeing and learning about all the different variants though so I usually wait for others to post pics and I enjoy them that way. It can get expensive. Also trying to save some money for some rarer carded figures too.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeABossk View Post
    I'm currently of the mindset that I'll keep the major variations only at this time and I won't hunt down other variations unless I really want them (brown hair Bespin Luke).

Major to me are the following:
    Lando Bespin - Teeth & No Teeth
    ObiWan - Gray hair & White Hair
    Han Solo - Small Head & Big Head
    Bossk - Orange Head & Greenish Head
    Luke Farmboy & Luke Bespin - Blonde Hair & Brown Hair
    IG-88 - Metallic vs Molded gray
    I agree about major variations, but id also add early bird figures, brown snake yoda, univisor snowie, red bar R5, toe dent/no dent blue snag, hollow tube tusken, green/blue saber luke jedi and vc jawa to the list.

I also consider blue smock/purple smock ugnaughts a major variant, too, but - my only fear with those is that eventually all those blue smocks are just going to turn purple... more on this at the end of my post.

I get some ppl with the red haired hoth leia, molded legs/face/whatever, orange hair farmboy and the ten million others, but i just choose to turn a blind eye for the most part. Not bcs i dont like them, but because that opens the door (in my eyes, at least) to the full pandoras box of never-ending hoarding of star wars toys.

Now, when we get into green snake yodas, pale face/hands this-and-that, and other variants that may potentially just be the result of sun damage, im much more dismissive.

I only accept the ugnaught because i believe they were originally made either blue or purple, and that the blue just happens to turn purple after being exposed to light.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RebelScum themselves cover the major variants very nicely and simply: http://www.rebelscum.com/VINfigures.asp .

As others have stated, it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Ultimately do what makes you happy. Not a major fan of droids? Then don't collect all of the various droid variations. If you feel overwhelmed at any point, do not pursue those types of variants. Research is key with variants. Sellers/dealers/scammers are always coming up with new variants seemingly everyday. Gray limbs, blue torso Boba Fett is not a variant.

As far as R2 goes, I think for every single release the body and/or dome are different, with the difference between the first release solid-dome and last release pop-up saber being vastly different.