Thread: Film roll question/need help

Film roll question/need help

I have 2 small film rolls that I guess are preview spools but I am not sure. I will try to get pictures up later this week. One is from Attack of the Clones and the other is a spool that says original trilogy. These were given to me years ago from a friend that worked at a local theater. They are still sealed in wrappers. Thanks for any help.

Rock
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    -Darth Vader

Are you asking for what they are or are you asking if they're real? I'm no expert, just curious.
    Last edited by Red5StandingBy; 04-18-2018 at 07:11 AM.
    "That's a nice planet killer. But I'll break it so you'll never see the Super Laser on it again... by that, I mean I'll break your Death Star.
    -Jotaro Skywalker

They are real so I am asking what they were used for. I think they are trailer sections but I guess I always thought that trailers were attached to the main film role. Another new question here is does film even exist anymore in a theater or is everything on some type of digital format now? I would also like to know if they hold any value?
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    -Darth Vader

While some​ movies are still shot on film, everything's almost digital now. Your average theater will project movies in a digital format, as it's easier to use.
    "That's a nice planet killer. But I'll break it so you'll never see the Super Laser on it again... by that, I mean I'll break your Death Star.
    -Jotaro Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    They are real so I am asking what they were used for. I think they are trailer sections but I guess I always thought that trailers were attached to the main film role. Another new question here is does film even exist anymore in a theater or is everything on some type of digital format now? I would also like to know if they hold any value?
    I used to be a cinema projectionist years ago. Trailers arrive at the theater on their own separate reels and are spliced together before the main feature reel by the projectionist. Once the trailer is pulled it is usually reeled back up and sent back to the distributor.

What you most likely have is a trailer, the Original Trilogy one may be commercial for a DVD release.

Some trailers have a bit of value, depends on the movie I guess. You're correct though, most theaters are digital now, hence why I am no longer a projectionist!