Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 36" (91 cm) Death Star WIP (continued)

36" (91 cm) Death Star WIP (continued)

This is a continuation of my last thread due to the image hosting being lost. For those who have already been following, thank you! I'll post the newest progress pics first, followed by re-posting of all the progress pics up until where I am now.

Added a little fake wall to the hallway before the Luke/Leia swing across the chasm. Also a 'closed' door. This was actually by accident as on the second layer of the base wall I had cut the doorway on the wrong side, but it worked out so I ran with it.

Fixed the octagonal doorway leading to the blast door room to make it a true octagon, rather than a square with beveled edges. The one on the side of the original wall will need a little filling in later on.

Added the little room they come out of to get to the lift hub:

Added an extra wall to the 'duel' room, which will give it more of a backdrop when viewed from the hangar bay.

So nothing super-exciting tonight. All of the walls have now been doubled up, so each is 3/8" total thickness, giving the structure much more stability. It also sits perfectly flat, I think because I trimmed the edge of a wall I discovered was slightly crooked.

Here's a couple shots of the trash compactor room with a little better lighting:

Here's the trash chute viewed from the corner room. Looks a little ghetto right now, but it will be covered up later. I widened the trash chute and the guys don't get caught in there as much, but it needs a little more work.

More to follow, most likely next weekend

Now for anyone checking out the thread for the first time, this project will be similar to the vintage Palitoy style on a much larger scale with more detail. I wanted to find a way to have the best of both worlds - decent-sized rooms while keeping the spherical shape.

It will include every interior Death Star room shown in ANH, to the best of my knowledge, plus the Emperor's throne room. There will be play features, for instance working trash chute, closing trash compactor walls, a swing across the chasm, working lift in the hangar bay, and quite a few more.

The hangar bay is large enough to hold at least one TIE fighter, and a ton of figures. The top floor will be removable, allowing it to easily fit through most doorways.

Right now many of the pieces are fastened with tape, just temporarily, of course, until all the structures are built, touching up completed and any painting or decals applied before the final gluing. The seams you see on some of the floors will be covered up, of course. Most likely I'll be using drywall mud to cover up the small seams and smooth out some areas later on before painting and decals.

So as not to be too long-winded, I'll go ahead and just re-post all the progress and R&D pics I had up until now. Any questions at all don't be afraid to ask, even if I may have addressed it in the last thread, as this is a fresh start and I don't mind talking about it!

Oh yeah so I ended up just taking my chances with postimage again, because it's a lot faster than the RS hosting. I can't upload more than one photo at a time here, as it will say the files are too large. Then it breaks them all up into groups of two, and I just anticipated a lot of annoyance when using it. Hopefully postimage will be good for awhile. If not, I'll find something else.

Nice update.
    I think green painter's tape would help with temporarily holding things in place. Cello tape can rip up the paper which might lead to uneven surfaces - even if you put vinyl down afterwards.

*like*

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get back to it this weekend. I may start on the overbridge, not sure yet

Wow. These grand builds are amazing undertakings. I count all the rooms you have to paint and detail out. Your a brave man, or crazy Utinniii is probably the king of huge environment builds, and fast. Good to see you figured out your photo issue.

Thanks. The painting itself will mostly be in certain areas and on certain accessories, whereas a lot of the rooms will have wall-panel decals. I'll most likely use some pre-existing ones that I like and revamp them a little in photoshop, just to keep it fresh. I think I may go with Utinniii's suggestion about the glossy black vinyl for some of the flooring.

I'm not going all-out fully screen-accurate with this as much as trying to include every room and give it a bit of a retro feel. There's so many people who have already done amazing work at capturing scenes like that, I think it's best left to them. Not to mention the fact that there has been a little necessary scaling down in order to fit everything in here.

Still a lot of work ahead, I know, but I've come this far and have resolved to finish it!

https://youtu.be/0TfqW5jd58A

another DS build on YouTube kinda along the lines of what your designing.

Looks great so far. Thanks for all the detailed pics.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast