Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 36" (91 cm) Death Star WIP (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by DagobahDweller View Post
    https://youtu.be/0TfqW5jd58A

another DS build on YouTube kinda along the lines of what your designing.
    Yeah, there's a few of them floating around out there (no pun intended). I like the carousel on that one.

I think this one is my favorite of this style that I've seen so far:

The biggest difference with mine, other than the size, will be the outer shell with removable panels. So it will actually look like the Death Star inside and out. I'm still looking into options for how it will be made. Possibly paper mache, but 3D printing may be a possibility if cost permits, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper31 View Post
    Looks great so far. Thanks for all the detailed pics.
    Any time! I'll post more as soon as I can. Thanks for checking in!
    Last edited by Darth_Sceptaurus; 04-18-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Nice. I think Iv’e seen that one also. It looks like the builder used lots of printed wall coverings. Simple but very effective. These DS dioramas are just about the coolest.

Having a removable or clamshell hinged cover that makes it look the Deathstar when shut would be absolutely awesome. Especially at 3 foot in diameter. Iv’e seen large fiberglass spheres built over/in molds. Fiberglass would give you the rigidity you’d need without reinforcing. It’s fairly cheap and easy to work with. Trouble would be finding/making a mold large enough to work. Probably some sort of inflatable ball. Also seen companies that make custom acrylic spheres or domes to your specifications. Probably expensive though.

It is looking great!
    The next time you take pictures I want to see both halves in addition to the individual rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by DagobahDweller View Post
    Nice. I think Iv’e seen that one also. It looks like the builder used lots of printed wall coverings. Simple but very effective. These DS dioramas are just about the coolest.

Having a removable or clamshell hinged cover that makes it look the Deathstar when shut would be absolutely awesome. Especially at 3 foot in diameter. Iv’e seen large fiberglass spheres built over/in molds. Fiberglass would give you the rigidity you’d need without reinforcing. It’s fairly cheap and easy to work with. Trouble would be finding/making a mold large enough to work. Probably some sort of inflatable ball. Also seen companies that make custom acrylic spheres or domes to your specifications. Probably expensive though.
    Hey, wow, I might look into that! Thanks for the info. And yes, I already have a mold in mind. Wal-mart sells a 36" ball! That was one reason I decided to go with this size. I looked for 40" or 48" but couldn't find anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    It is looking great!
    The next time you take pictures I want to see both halves in addition to the individual rooms.
    Thank you!! I'll make sure to take some wide shots from all views. I didn't before b/c I'd made such a mess with all the foam board scraps laying around, but I'll do clean up before taking pics next time lol

THat's really coming together. Great work so far!

Are those troopers supposed to be dead or sleeping? I'd imagine the DS would need a pretty big morgue after our heroes left.
    Naughtiest lines in Star Wars:
    You came in that thing?! You're braver than I thought!
    Luke, at that speed will we be able to pull out in time?
    Back door huh? Good idea.

Lol yeah it's actually supposed to be their bunks. I tried to make it look like they were uncomfortable. I guess they aren't allowed to take off their helmets when they sleep, either.

You know I was digging through my garage looking for tools for the project and I found an old shelf I'd forgotten about. It's circular and has multiple compartments. It's probably only about 1-1/2 to 2 feet diameter but it reminded me of the idea you had to make a giant circular shelf and include all the rooms. I think eventually I may come up with a background for it and just use it for display. Maybe it could represent another planet or something, I don't know. I'll post a pic of it when I get it cleaned up and put together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12