Thread: Unused Early Bird Certificate

Unused Early Bird Certificate

Hi all longtime Star Wars fan here but recently just started collecting.

I recently came across locally a unused Early Bird Certificate complete and near mint with the proof-of-purchase coupon attached. Paper is slightly yellowed from age. Guy i got it from is a garage-sale buyer and found it stuck in the middle of an old magazine, which probably protected it. Anyways was wondering what type of value these have? Ive seen the used voided proof-of-purchase coupons go for stupid money on ebay...

For value purposes, since i know these are rare, would it be worth having it graded and if so what company do you recommend? Thanks much

Absolutely a wonderful score!
    "used voided proof-of-purchase coupons" ?? noob here - this related to this Early Bird Cert? or something else?

Zippy chance I could afford this but damn curious to know what that range is.

Thanks for Sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCarMech View Post
    Hi all longtime Star Wars fan here but recently just started collecting.

I recently came across locally a unused Early Bird Certificate complete and near mint with the proof-of-purchase coupon attached. Paper is slightly yellowed from age. Guy i got it from is a garage-sale buyer and found it stuck in the middle of an old magazine, which probably protected it. Anyways was wondering what type of value these have? Ive seen the used voided proof-of-purchase coupons go for stupid money on ebay...

For value purposes, since i know these are rare, would it be worth having it graded and if so what company do you recommend? Thanks much

Ive seen the smaller tear-off coupon on ebay go (graded ones i guess) for $500-700. They are marked "void" and has the coupon filled out. I assume the coupon portion was sent back to the person with the figures?

One traded on eBay for $782 on March 10 of this year.

If it were me, I would get it graded by AFA.

wow i see that... Whats funny it was sold in my same city and by a guy that looks like he does garage sales... Im willing to bet its the same guy i got mine from (OfferUp app). I paid $50 for it so if it is, he's kicking himself

The one that sold on Ebay last week was deemed to be a reproduction and was discussed extensively on the 12 Back and Early Vintage FaceBook group. It has been returned to the seller for a refund.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Star...?ref=bookmarks
    Always looking for vintage store displays, vintage shipping boxes and Jawa items.
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1077974/ My feedback Thread

The perforation on this one looks better than the fake one discussed in the facebook group

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCarMech View Post
    Ive seen the smaller tear-off coupon on ebay go (graded ones i guess) for $500-700. They are marked "void" and has the coupon filled out. I assume the coupon portion was sent back to the person with the figures?
    The ones marked void are from the "Uncle Ron" collection where the guy bought a bunch of Early Birds and mailed them off to Kenner with a note that he wanted the coupons back to keep with the rest of the set so Kenner marked them void and returned them to him. Those are the only used ones I've ever seen. Kenner marked it void so he couldn't mail it in again I guess and double dip.

I've never seen one graded but people do put them in nice cases meant more for trading cards.

Yes i see some slight differences of mine compared to the one recently sold

Quote Originally Posted by JediMarty View Post
    The one that sold on Ebay last week was deemed to be a reproduction and was discussed extensively on the 12 Back and Early Vintage FaceBook group. It has been returned to the seller for a refund.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Star...?ref=bookmarks
    Sorry i dont have Facebook to check it out. How can you confirm if its a real or fake one? Would grading (if they'll do it) proof that its a legit one? What is your honest opinion on the one i have? Look legit? thanks much