Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collecting On A Budget

Collecting On A Budget

Hello. I am a younger collector of the vintage line, and have been faced with a problem. I don't have a job yet, though I am applying. Can anyone give me any tips for collecting the line a budget? I am only really interested in the figures, and that, as we all know, usually proves costly. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, Owen

I think a lot of us can relate. Iíve been collecting for 20+ years and still donít have a huge budget even though Iíve got a pretty well paying job. I would say step one, nail the job down. Thatís priority number one that will help fuel the collecting budget. Next step is really get a good handle for the going price of everything Star Wars if thatís what youíre collecting. Then keep an eye out for collections when they come up for sale. What I do is value the entire collection, have an understanding of what I can resell most of it for, and keep the cream of the crop. That way your tying up some of your investment but recouping it after the remainder of the figures sell. Good example, a couple weeks back I bought a collection for $200 bucks. I kept the rancor (which Iíve always wanted), a complete Max Rebo band set, and about six other figures. Afterwards I turned around and sold the rest of the collection on eBay for about $380. Made some profit that goes to buying some harder to find pieces and virtually was able to keep some figures for free. Thatís how Iíve built my collection over the years and ultimately havenít spent much on it other than my time (which is worth it from an educational standpoint because I love the hobby that much). Anyways thatís my advice, but job first.
    Last edited by WampasGottaEat2; 03-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Thank you. I have been trying to get a job for a while. Hopefully I'll have one soon. 20+ years! I always price entire collections. It's just out of habit. I'll do my best with the job, and then we will see where we go from there. Thank you again.
    Cheers, Owen

I have just started collecting at the back end of last year.

I had a few minty childhood figures to get me started, but like yourself I don't have a great deal of expendable income.

After you nail the job, the key thing to learn is patience. I jumped on a couple of overpriced items when I first began, basically because my heart won-out over my head. I don't regret doing it because the items I got were what I wanted, but if I had waited I would have gotten the same items for about half the price (I have seen the same ones available at about half the cost since I bought them).

The last figure I bought was around the beginning of February, I have not bought anything since, I am now far more patient and will only spring on something when it comes up at a decent price and in the mint condition I am looking for.

If you think something is too expensive or stretching you cash wise, let your head win and leave it, there will always be another one that comes along later. That is one of the good things about vintage Star Wars collecting, even though they are considered "rare", they are always available.
    Last edited by Crumm; 03-14-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Then keep an eye out for collections when they come up for sale. What I do is value the entire collection, have an understanding of what I can resell most of it for, and keep the cream of the crop. That way your tying up some of your investment but recouping it after the remainder of the figures sell. Good example, a couple weeks back I bought a collection for $200 bucks. I kept the rancor (which I’ve always wanted), a complete Max Rebo band set, and about six other figures. Afterwards I turned around and sold the rest of the collection on eBay for about $380. Made some profit that goes to buying some harder to find pieces and virtually was able to keep some figures for free. That’s how I’ve built my collection over the years and ultimately haven’t spent much on it other than my time (which is worth it from an educational standpoint because I love the hobby that much). Anyways that’s my advice, but job first.
    That's a solid advice, that's exactly how I've built my entire collection. By doing it this way, I probably have ended with everything I've wanted plus money, so it's a win-win. Of course it takes more time but I enjoy doing deals. When you do it enough, you can get to more and more expensive stuff. For example I bought maybe 15 MOCs for over a thousand and sold the extras, I got my money back and still got all the best MOCs. I wouldn't buy anything individiually until you're doing good in the collecting game and got a job.
    My feedback
    "They're sh*t." - Phil Tippett on Star Wars Blu-rays

This is overwhelming! Thank you everyone for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRizz View Post
    Hello. I am a younger collector of the vintage line, and have been faced with a problem. I don't have a job yet, though I am applying. Can anyone give me any tips for collecting the line a budget? I am only really interested in the figures, and that, as we all know, usually proves costly. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, Owen
    Well, you could always buy beat up cards, yellow bubbles, bubbles with defects, cracks etc. That will bring down prices on most of the common figures, IF you want them still on the card.

You could also go for loose figures or AFA graded loose figures. You might even consider buying card backs and find the figure in either minty shape or getting a AFA u graded. So you have many options as to how you want to collect.

You have many options and choices, so do what personally makes you happy in the hobby.

If you're starting basically from scratch, and want loose items, I would go with Wampa and stick more with lots. You can get more figures more cheaply that way, and sell the excess. When I started back into collecting vintage I already had most of the toys, so it was buying one here and one there, and it's a little more expensive that way.
    Naughtiest lines in Star Wars:
    You came in that thing?! You're braver than I thought!
    Luke, at that speed will we be able to pull out in time?
    Back door huh? Good idea.

Figures are getting expensive (i am only missing Blue Snaggletooth and a handful of POTF) I find that if you are seeking complete figures, a good rule of thumb is that accessories are more important than figure condition! its more likely that later on if you decide to upgrade figures, based on condition its easier to find nice figures without them than the other way around. then sell off the beaters. weapons alone often rival the prices of complete figures!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    Figures are getting expensive (i am only missing Blue Snaggletooth and a handful of POTF) I find that if you are seeking complete figures, a good rule of thumb is that accessories are more important than figure condition! its more likely that later on if you decide to upgrade figures, based on condition its easier to find nice figures without them than the other way around. then sell off the beaters. weapons alone often rival the prices of complete figures!
    I agree 100%, picking up beater figures with original weapons and accessories and then upgrading later is a solid path. As long as you can spot the originals since soooo many of the repros are starting to get more convincing over recent years (I just threw up a little). TIG is going to have their hands full in the coming years I'm afraid. That being said, buying just entire weapons lots can be pricy, but could pay off in the long run. When I buy a collection I often raid the weapons for future armies I want to build because I'm afraid the repros are going to just get better and better. I often wonder if there are some out there that are completely indistinguishable from the originals. Makes my stomach churn just thinking of it. We're just going to have to grow that much better at spotting the fakes. A constant game of wack a mole....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast